Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              144      
145
       146              191       192       end
  

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
  
 
glacierpete
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq, it will be interesting when PhotoNinja supports the Merrill raws. They told me they are planing to support them. It is my favorite converter for my Nex5n and Nikon files.
I cannot see the artifact you mentioned on my screen.
The latest DP2M firmware 1.05 refers to some recording problems in previous versions:
-Corrects the phenomenon that, in rare cases, images are not recorded properly when the battery level is low.
-Corrects the rare phenomenon that the recording process does not go perfectly when the camera is turned off right after taking the image.



Jun 17, 2013 at 06:59 PM
tulaev
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Jochenb wrote:
Not really about the RX1, but the latest rumours say that you can use the RX1 EVF on the upcoming RX100 mkII. That's great.

It's too expensive for RX100. Maybe Sony is going to produce a cheaper EVF?



Jun 17, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


glacierpete wrote:
Tariq, it will be interesting when PhotoNinja supports the Merrill raws. They told me they are planing to support them. It is my favorite converter for my Nex5n and Nikon files.
I cannot see the artifact you mentioned on my screen.
The latest DP2M firmware 1.05 refers to some recording problems in previous versions:
-Corrects the phenomenon that, in rare cases, images are not recorded properly when the battery level is low.
-Corrects the rare phenomenon that the recording process does not go perfectly when the camera is turned off right after taking the image.


That will be interesting to see how PhotoNinja handles foveon raws, particularly given the technology that program already includes (if they wanted, I'm sure they could exactly mimic what SPP does and probably even do a better job overall).

Looking at these Merrill files again reinforces just how nice they are at the pixel level.



Jun 17, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Jochenb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


tulaev wrote:
It's too expensive for RX100. Maybe Sony is going to produce a cheaper EVF?


I understand, but if it works that's great news for the people (like me) that already own the EVF and don't need to buy an extra one.



Jun 17, 2013 at 09:22 PM
wayne seltzer
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Helena, your Fuji camera has APS-C sensor which probably has less steep ray angles than the FF RX1 which also has a very short register length. This could maybe cause the filter thickness to matter more. Only way to tell for sure would be to do side by side comparisons with other filters. Glad you found a new companion camera to your RX1. Very nice images with the Fuji camera too.




HelenaN wrote:
joanlvh, sorry to hear that! How frustrating that it happened in a middle of a trip. Hope it'll work out somehow.

From one thing to another. A while back Wayne said that some polarizers may be worse than others when it comes to uneven coloration of the sky. It sounded unlikely, but I didn't rule it out.

Now I have a Fuji X-E1 with the 14mm lens and decided to try the old Hoya polarizer I happened to have lying around. I took a whole bunch of photos, and some are posted here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1097477/98#11625534
As you can see, the filter had very little negative
...Show more



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:23 AM
HelenaN
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


wayne seltzer wrote:
Helena, your Fuji camera has APS-C sensor which probably has less steep ray angles than the FF RX1 which also has a very short register length. This could maybe cause the filter thickness to matter more. Only way to tell for sure would be to do side by side comparisons with other filters. Glad you found a new companion camera to your RX1. Very nice images with the Fuji camera too.


Thanks! I didn't think about that, but it sounds likely.
Anyway, that was the last drop, so now I'll finally order a thinner/better one for my RX1.



Jun 18, 2013 at 07:38 AM
wayne seltzer
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


HelenaN wrote:
Thanks! I didn't think about that, but it sounds likely.
Anyway, that was the last drop, so now I'll finally order a thinner/better one for my RX1.


You can always return it if it does not perform better, right?



Jun 18, 2013 at 08:11 AM
sflxn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


After 2 days of using this camera, I hate to say I am not gelling with it. The ergonomics of the camera is really bugging me. There is nothing to grip on. Plus, the lens cap is so small, I find it a little tricky to be sure it's on tight sometimes. I have compared the image quality with that of the 24/1.8 for NEX and can attest to the lens' quality, but I'm not sure I can be happy with this camera. I was using it along with my NEX-7 and Ricoh GR, and the difference in ergonomic was too glaring. I know I can get a grip for it, but man, the NEX-7 and GR are so great ergonomically. I don't believe any grip will ever bring it up to those cameras' ergonomics.

Also, the LCD is extremely dim outside. I have the brightness to max, and I can hardly see anything on it. I have no trouble with the NEX-7's LCD.



Jun 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


sflxn wrote:
After 2 days of using this camera, I hate to say I am not gelling with it. The ergonomics of the camera is really bugging me. There is nothing to grip on. Plus, the lens cap is so small, I find it a little tricky to be sure it's on tight sometimes. I have compared the image quality with that of the 24/1.8 for NEX and can attest to the lens' quality, but I'm not sure I can be happy with this camera. I was using it along with my NEX-7 and Ricoh GR, and the difference in ergonomic was
...Show more

Oddly enough, when I moved from the NEX-5N to the NEX-7 a couple of years back, I actually missed the ergonomics of the 5N, because it felt so good with a leather half-case attached, and the NEX-7 felt better without the half-case, but still not as good as the 5N with the case.



Jun 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Muizen
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


sflxn wrote:
After 2 days of using this camera, I hate to say I am not gelling with it. The ergonomics of the camera is really bugging me. There is nothing to grip on. Plus, the lens cap is so small, I find it a little tricky to be sure it's on tight sometimes. I have compared the image quality with that of the 24/1.8 for NEX and can attest to the lens' quality, but I'm not sure I can be happy with this camera. I was using it along with my NEX-7 and Ricoh GR, and the difference in ergonomic was
...Show more
As I wrote earlier I have a half case made by Gariz (type XS-CHRX1M) that improves the grip and use of the RX1 considerably. This quality case makes it possible to change cards and battery without removing it.

I also have the EVF permanently attached. It is excellent in viewing quality and there is no need at all to use the LCD when outside. It doesn't add much size to the camera because it is small.

This is a digital camera with the highest image quality on the market and that is the first and most important property a camera should offer. Ergonomics can be improved, a lack of image quality can not!



Jun 19, 2013 at 06:23 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sflxn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Muizen wrote:
As I wrote earlier I have a half case made by Gariz (type XS-CHRX1M) that improves the grip and use of the RX1 considerably. This quality case makes it possible to change cards and battery without removing it.

I also have the EVF permanently attached. It is excellent in viewing quality and there is no need at all to use the LCD when outside. It doesn't add much size to the camera because it is small.

This is a digital camera with the highest image quality on the market and that is the first and most important property a camera should offer.
...Show more

I've heard mixed reviews of the Gariz case for the RX1. This is specific to the RX1 case. Something about scraping the bottom of the camera or something. Anyway, lack of grip isn't my only ergonomic complaint. The lens cap needs a redesign. I'm not sure if it's just my copy, but the push button on the scroll wheel is unnervingly squishy. If I end up keeping it, I will likely get the EVF. The LCD on my RX1 is absolutely useless outdoors. Again, it may just be my copy. I got it from Amazon's warehouse deals. They claimed 'like new', but I disagree. I might go to Samy's and compare my copy to theirs.

I disagree on the importance of IQ over ergonomics. For me, they are both equal. For a mirrorless camera, it's the best IQ out there, but if you're willing to go beyond mirrorless, then you have the D800(E) and medium format. They have great IQ but terrible ergonomics due to weight and size. If you can't feel good about using the camera, then you're thinking about the handling instead of thinking about the shot.



Jun 19, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Jochenb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


The dim LCD screen doesn't sound normal. Mine is very bright.


Jun 19, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Asimo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


mine is bright also , had no problem with RX1 LCD


Jun 19, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


sflxn wrote:
I've heard mixed reviews of the Gariz case for the RX1. This is specific to the RX1 case. Something about scraping the bottom of the camera or something. Anyway, lack of grip isn't my only ergonomic complaint. The lens cap needs a redesign. I'm not sure if it's just my copy, but the push button on the scroll wheel is unnervingly squishy. If I end up keeping it, I will likely get the EVF. The LCD on my RX1 is absolutely useless outdoors. Again, it may just be my copy. I got it from Amazon's warehouse deals. They claimed 'like
...Show more

I agree about the lens cap and ergonomics at eye level IF you are trying to handle the RX1 like other cameras that are larger/ have better grips. With the lens cap, I found the best solution was to either just use a high quality UV filter at all times and/ or use a hood so the front element is not vulnerable. For ergonomics, I found a two handed grip with the left hand underneath supporting the camera the best (with the EVF or a finder atop). Such a grip is both secure and adds stability. I do think you should compare your copy of the RX1 to another as some of the other issues don't sound normal.



Jun 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
rsolti13
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I have found the best enhancement to gripping the RX1 is actually a Gordy's wrist strap. A wrist strap gives me the grip I need. I tried the Gariz case and it doesn't come close to using a simple wrist strap.


Jun 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Jochenb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I also use a Gordy's wrist strap on my RX1 and I like it.


Jun 19, 2013 at 01:06 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


I have a few Gordy's wrist straps, but I find them too thick. I often just use a cheap P&S wrist strap.

slfxn, why not just buy another lens cap?



Jun 19, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Tariq Gibran
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.145 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


douglasf13 wrote:
I have a few Gordy's wrist straps, but I find them too thick. I often just use a cheap P&S wrist strap.

slfxn, why not just buy another lens cap?


I just tried a few various style 49mm plastic lens caps - both side and center spring type - and it does not appear they will work on the front of the RX1 bare lens. With a filter on, no issue but without filter, the spring mechanism seems to interfere with the inner ring around the RX1 front lens element. Perhaps there is a specific cap that will work? I don't know.

First thing I tried with the RX1 was a wrist strap but found I much preferred a normal neck strap due to the way I hold the camera (my left hand provides the major support while my right hand needs to be free for operating the controls - just like with certain MF cameras). I think even at eye level, gripping the camera with the left hand from underneath is more comfortable/ natural (for me at least).



Jun 19, 2013 at 01:56 PM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Muizen wrote:
Ergonomics can be improved, a lack of image quality can not!


I think one can easily make an argument either way, and that it just comes down to personal preferences .

For me, absolute "technical image quality" has not been very important to me for a long time. Simply because as an artist, I need to put a lot more into creating an image for it to have value, technical elements almost become irrelevant as long as they're communicative enough. So once a reasonable standard is met, it's almost all about ease of use, enjoyment, ergonomics - which if way below par from the beginning, can only be tweaked so much. If, for example, a camera is terribly small, missing some basic buttons for direct input, makes handling difficult (maybe even painful after some time!), then it would be too much for some and unable to 'improve'. Of course, what we call a reasonable standard in image quality is entirely subjective - but my point is that the creator can always improve (or strive to improve) his vision, technique, timing etc. But the creator cannot physically add buttons, stretch cameras, etc. They can adapt a different technique of sorts, much like a new vision, but for me one is clearly holding back the end goal more than the other .

Just IMO of course.

FWIW this is a general opinion, not specifically about the RX1, for which I haven't handled.



Jun 19, 2013 at 02:15 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.145 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)


Tariq, I used a couple of different generic caps on my RX1 before my UV filter arrived, and I didn't have any issues.


Jun 19, 2013 at 02:58 PM
1       2       3              144      
145
       146              191       192       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              144      
145
       146              191       192       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password