Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              137      
       139              190       191       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.138 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Martin what was the AF mode and focus point for your shot? I have never heard of a decentered lens which can one time be sharper on the left and another time onn the right. Sounds like AF problem? Your shot of a govt. building at night with the snow falling was one of my favorite shots you posted with gour first copy. I did not see any difference in sharpness between left and right sides. Can you post left and right crops of that image?

May 20, 2013 at 07:08 AM
Makten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.138 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Martin what was the AF mode and focus point for your shot?

I don't remember, but probably the large patch in the middle, focusing on the tree on the left and then recomposing. This should really not be a problem at this distance and aperture.

I have never heard of a decentered lens which can one time be sharper on the left and another time onn the right. Sounds like AF problem?

Maybe decentering is not the right term here, but rather a tilted focus plane. In combination with unreliable AF (perhaps because of the tilted plane), things can be in or out of focus on both sides depending on how you focus. Just a theory.

Your shot of a govt. building at night with the snow falling was one of my favorite shots you posted with gour first copy. I did not see any difference in sharpness between left and right sides. Can you post left and right crops of that image?

As you can see in the latest example, such unsharpness is not possible to trace in a 1024 pixels wide image, so if there was something similar in that other picture, you wouldn't have noticed. I think it was with the first copy, which didn't behave exactly the same. It was more consistantly less sharp on the left side and was definitely faulty.

May 20, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.138 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

philip_pj wrote:
Focus accuracy. Being a manual focus person, the 'focus by wire' focus technique is not ideal because it is neither linear nor the same in each direction. I would love a good trad style ring on this one. At the limit of what the EVF can resolve, the image dances a little. For closer subjects it is quite easy to get focus as good as AF, and AF suffers from the large box, can miss to a closer or farther subject but you can miss seeing it.

On the test I did above, as well as another, I did back to back AF vs MF for the both the center area and the top left corner. I figured if the lens suffered any field curvature or AF issues, it would show up pretty quickly. In all cases, there was no difference between either MF or AF nor between using the center point area or a point in the corner at that distance. I have also tested the AF vs MF with closer subjects and the AF is just as good, often better, than I am with MF. I have not experienced a major AF miss yet with a subject that has sufficient contrast. I'm sure at some point I will run into an AF failure scenario but the accuracy I have seen thus far leads me to believe that those suffering consistent issues likely have a camera problem.

May 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.138 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I haven't seen a note regarding ergonomics in the past several pages, any consensus on grip or anything to improve handling? I feel like it is too small in my hands. I need either something on the front to hold onto or a thumbs-up type grip on the back. I am using EVF so thumbs-up or anything else using hot shoe is out of the question

May 20, 2013 at 08:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.138 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

When I started using the EVF, I found that my favorite "hold" was to cradle the camera with the left hand from underneath while using the EVF at a 45 degree angle - very much like one would handle a classic medium format film camera. By far, that's the most comfortable/ ergonomic hold for me, though part of that is no doubt due to holding film cameras that way for almost thirty years. I do plan to buy a half case with an integrated leather/ wood grip eventually, though I expect the grip will be most handy just for pulling the camera out of the bag.

May 20, 2013 at 09:00 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.138 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Plus one to 'how to hold', Tariq.

Wayne said similar things about AF, it is bit like a slower a900 effect, slow but give it a moment and it gets it right - if you point correctly at a suitable target.

Martin, one of the things I noticed while in 100% scan mode in PS, is that small changes in distance do matter more than expected even if you have decent DoF. At this stage I class this finding with the mid-field effects Ron noticed and Tim A has also mentioned.

May 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Muizen

p.138 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rsolti13 wrote:
I haven't seen a note regarding ergonomics in the past several pages, any consensus on grip or anything to improve handling? I feel like it is too small in my hands. I need either something on the front to hold onto or a thumbs-up type grip on the back. I am using EVF so thumbs-up or anything else using hot shoe is out of the question

I did not quite feel at ease with the grip I had with my rather large hands on the RX1. I use a EFV too.
I then purchased the half case in black leather made by Gariz type XS-CHRX1M. This well made not too expense case, offers some protection to the RX1 but in the first place a very pleasant grip because it extends the dimensions of the RX1 and the leather material also improves grip.
It also offer easy access to the battery and card without the need to remove the case.
I can recommend this solution!
Harry

May 21, 2013 at 06:28 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.138 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Me too re a Gariz, but any of the many options will help. I have the QR plate on the case's outside which helps, also. What happens is the lens is too large for the body, so your fingers are looking for purchase. The case adds 6-7mm to the bottom so you can hold it easier.

May 21, 2013 at 06:50 AM
Noodlz79

p.138 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'm using the RRS base plate and grip. I'm finding the grip to be a lot better ergonomically and it makes it easy to operate the camera with one hand a lot of the time. Also added some gaffer tape to the grip and to give it more of a stealth factor

Here it is next to my 5DM2:

DSC03578 by Sean H Choe, on Flickr

May 21, 2013 at 07:23 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.138 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I actually have the Gariz case, doesn't do much for me. It looks great and is built well, but may end up selling it and picking up the RRS grip. That looks like what I need

May 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Errz

p.138 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rsolti13 wrote:
I actually have the Gariz case, doesn't do much for me. It looks great and is built well, but may end up selling it and picking up the RRS grip. That looks like what I need

Gariz just release another RX1 Case. Cost $329 Singapore dollar!!!!!
Handy Craft Series
New RX1 Half Case with mini grip

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=549210891788487&set=a.549210865121823.1073741827.446537405389170&type=1&theater

May 21, 2013 at 02:53 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.138 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Errz....That is EXACTLY what I want. Now, where to buy?

May 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.138 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

^^ A bit expensive!

This is the one I'm waiting on, which seems to have a more substantial grip built in, but it seems to have been delayed. It's about $100 cheaper than the Gariz above.

https://www.facebook.com/ulysses.photo?sk=app_201460523216173

May 21, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Errz

p.138 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

rsolti13 wrote:
Errz....That is EXACTLY what I want. Now, where to buy?

https://www.facebook.com/mobile/?v=409955719081235
To order please PM your location. Shipping options will be advise.

was told first batch really limited quantity. only 5 piece for Singapore.

May 21, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.138 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Those new Gariz cases are also on the auction site now - in various colors.

May 21, 2013 at 03:12 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.138 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

crap they're expensive....but pretty

May 21, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.138 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Perhaps this has been mentioned, I don't know, but one "bug" I have noticed with the Auto ISO feature is that when you are using it in Manual mode (set whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, the camera automatically adjusts the ISO), the exposure compensation does not work. That mode is really handy but it would be nice if a firmware update fixed it so Exp. compensation acted on the chosen AUTO ISO and over/ under exposed by the exposure compensation amount chosen.

May 22, 2013 at 01:35 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.138 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Perhaps this has been mentioned, I don't know, but one "bug" I have noticed with the Auto ISO feature is that when you are using it in Manual mode (set whatever shutter speed and aperture you want, the camera automatically adjusts the ISO), the exposure compensation does not work. That mode is really handy but it would be nice if a firmware update fixed it so Exp. compensation acted on the chosen AUTO ISO and over/ under exposed by the exposure compensation amount chosen.

What would we expect exp. compensation to be doing in this situation? Changing the shutter speed, but not showing us, or changing the ISO?

Just curious, that's in no way intended as an offensive statement ( apparently I have to write this now )

May 22, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.138 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

ricardovaste wrote:
What would we expect exp. compensation to be doing in this situation? Changing the shutter speed, but not showing us, or changing the ISO?

Just curious, that's in no way intended as an offensive statement ( apparently I have to write this now )

No offense of course. As I wrote above, would should happen is that the shutter speed and aperture values chosen by the user should obviously remain as chosen but the AUTO ISO the camera chooses should change based on the EXP compensation amount chosen. SO, if I set F4@1/500 sec with an exposure compensation of -1, whereas the camera would normally choose ISO 400, it would now choose ISO 200, underexposing by my chosen -1 amount. That's the only way it logically makes sense and that's also how other manufacturer's handle it (at least, that's how it works with Pentax. I think they may have originated that feature actually).

May 22, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.138 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran wrote:

Are you sure that it isn't a restriction depending on metering mode or something else? I can swear that I used the camera that way and that I would have gone nuts if it wasn't workning.

May 22, 2013 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password