Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              134      
       136              190       191       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

joanlvh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.135 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

to treacle, I am also using an Olympus Pen EM 2 and a Leica Panasonic 45mm which becomes a 90mm on the micro 4/3s camera, I particularly like the color that is produced.

May 15, 2013 at 01:20 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.135 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

to treacle, I am also using an Olympus Pen EM 2 and a Leica Panasonic 45mm which becomes a 90mm on the micro 4/3s camera, I particularly like the color that is produced.

joanlvh
• • •
p.135 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

geoffreyg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.135 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I've been getting to know the RX-1 for a few weeks, and finding it better and better. Of particular interest is the built in level, the high resolution and lens quality. Haven't yet gotten the special photos others have, but am finding the BW from LR4 rather striking. Also the lens correction to the RAW files in LR4 is decent - otherwise the distortion is rather too much, especially if you are photographing artwork.

I'm planning a Europe trip and thinking of leaving MF at home and taking LF and the RX1. Should be interesting.

May 15, 2013 at 02:35 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.135 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Sony RX1 Wins Camera Grand Prix 2013:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/15/CJPC-Camera-Grand-Prix-2013-Sony-Cybershot-DSC-RX1-Sigma-35mm-f1-4-DG-HSM

May 15, 2013 at 09:58 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.135 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I have been looking for a small (really looking for the smallest that would work) shoulder bag that an RX1 + attached EVF would fit into. Not so easy actually as when the EVF is attached, you end up needing something almost square in shape.

Just received the new ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10 and it's a perfect fit. I think it might be a bit expensive for what it is considering you can get a just as nicely made Lowepro Adventura 120 for almost half the price that would fit (but is a little larger and deeper). Anyway, thought I would let folks know the new ThinkTank works size wise.

May 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.135 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I told Sony I was their ideal customer, and they agreed and said I could get 15% off. Sadly that's still like 2550 for body + EVF. Just really can't justify that. Still playing the waiting game!

May 16, 2013 at 06:15 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.135 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I wanted a bag that would fit the camera/case plus EVF plus filter and 'step down ring hood' and cap and lightish camera strap, would open away from the body and have both belt and shoulder strap carry; bought a Lowepro Apex 110 AW and cut out the separator flap.

ricardo that is not commerce, but extortion. Even at the 'discount price' that is 25% more than we pay here - legally.

May 17, 2013 at 03:05 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.135 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

It is upsetting in that sense, but I'm more than familiar with how prices 'happen' in the UK. So although it's not new to me, it can still be frustrating... especially when you 'want' something. Perhaps a trip to the US or Australia is due. Guess what, can't afford that either

May 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM
cjrpostma

p.135 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I picked up an RX1 a week ago. Love it. Only shot about 600 frames so far. The files do not disappoint. I'm using it with the EVF, official lens hood, and an Artist and Artisan cloth strap. I hate using a UV filter for protection but I decided to slap a B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M) and it hasn't caused any perceivable issues for me.

Thanks to Tariq's post above, I just ordered the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i. It seems to be just what I'm looking for to carry my RX1 with hood and EVF attached, a few spare batteries, ND and CPL filters, bulb blower, and iPad.

Also wanted to chime in for those who are reading this that haven't used the camera yet: the autofocus is really not that bad. I'm coming from a DP2M and this smokes it. I've had no quality control issues, this thing is built like a tank. Um, cannot remember what other myths needed to be dispelled. I like the files from this camera more than my D800E, more than my Sigma DP2M, more than my 5D Mk II. Nice camera!

May 17, 2013 at 04:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.135 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I was very surprised how good the AF actually is after reading such negative reports on it. It actually will keep up with my toddler and five yr old (and the face detection AF point has turned out to be really handy for those types of situations). I could not say that about my previous mirrorless cameras - Fuji X100 and the Sigma DP Merrills (which probably have the slowest AF I have ever used).

One nice thing about the EVF is that it is an accessory so that, hoepefully, as the technology improves, future EVF's might be useable on the RX1. I guess that's another benefit to not having it built in.

I'm also using the same B+W filter above and have not experienced any additional flare issues.

May 17, 2013 at 05:08 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.135 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new RX1!
I have been using mine since early Dec and have seen a lot of false or over negative forum posts against the RX1.
First in the beginning when the first shots were posted, some said the lens was not sharp. Then some said the lens was not sharp at infinity distance. Others who did not even try the camera post that the AF is slow since they heard that on the net. Glad I never listened to anyone hear about this camera and got it early on. Now seems like people are slowly discovering how good this camera is 6 months later. I also have a D800E and 1ds3 which I have been using much less now.

cjrpostma wrote:
I picked up an RX1 a week ago. Love it. Only shot about 600 frames so far. The files do not disappoint. I'm using it with the EVF, official lens hood, and an Artist and Artisan cloth strap. I hate using a UV filter for protection but I decided to slap a B+W 49mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M) and it hasn't caused any perceivable issues for me.

Thanks to Tariq's post above, I just ordered the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i. It seems to be just what I'm looking for to carry my RX1 with hood and
...Show more

May 17, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.135 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

As has been confirmed by a few member here who have owned and used the RX1, there have been cases of defective RX1's showing inconsistent AF and poor lens performance (and yes, the two could certainly be related). Thing's aren't always B&W, even in photography!

May 17, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Muizen

p.135 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new RX1!
I have been using mine since early Dec and have seen a lot of false or over negative forum posts against the RX1.
First in the beginning when the first shots were posted, some said the lens was not sharp. Then some said the lens was not sharp at infinity distance. Others who did not even try the camera post that the AF is slow since they heard that on the net. Glad I never listened to anyone hear about this camera and got it early on. Now seems like people are
...Show more

I am an early user of the RX1, coming from the Leica M9.
Before I purchased the RX1 I have read quite some negative remarks in Forums about the RX1, repeated many times by people, who most likely did not even have a RX1, and perhaps disliked Sony or didn't like the price, or could not afford a RX1 etc.?
All complaints about so called poor AF, bad lens quality etc. have been proven to be totally untrue.
The RX1 is an absolutely amazing top quality camera, with the best image quality ever generated by a digital camera.
People will have to accept that Sony did really open up a new world on high image quality photography with this very portable top camera that can be with you all the time and that is made like a "tank".
For me no large bags anymore with heavy "Canikon" cameras and lenses!

May 17, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.135 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Muizen wrote:
The RX1 is an absolutely amazing top quality camera, with the best image quality ever generated by a digital camera.

Yep, no B&W opinions around these parts!

May 17, 2013 at 08:29 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.135 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Muizen, the one thing that hurt it most in the eyes of so many was the white text situated top left of the front of the body - not beginning with an 'L' or a 'C' or a 'N', but an 'S'. haha.

May 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.135 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:

Ah, so if my cameras (yes, two of them) didn't behave like your, my posts are "false"? Your latest posts are great examples of the phenomenon when people MUST defend things they have bought and everyone else is wrong. I don't think this is the right place for that.

May 18, 2013 at 08:57 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.135 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten wrote:
Ah, so if my cameras (yes, two of them) didn't behave like your, my posts are "false"? Your latest posts are great examples of the phenomenon when people MUST defend things they have bought and everyone else is wrong. I don't think this is the right place for that.

I never referred to your cases where you had bad copies. I was talking about those people who had said the lens was not sharp when the first images were posted. Looks like you over reacted and let me tell you that I never have to defend what I have bought to anyone as I buy and use cameras that I like and not what others like as I said before.
Morty, I really don`t what your problem with what I said. If I remember right you got rid of your RX1 mainly due to corner color shift and a display with bad pixels. You then mentioned you would try it again when the price comes down. Did I refer to your case specifically above in my previous post?

Lots of new users are enjoying the camera and not running into the problems you guys had. Sorry, if I share their same feelings that the camera is pretty good. I am an early adopter and one of the early ones who saw how good the IQ is and started the RX1 image thread when this thread was all negative about the camera and I don`t get any credit for that. Instead new posters after over 40 pages of good images have gone by now give credit to their clique friend who dumped a few test images in the thread as the reason they bought the camera. Pretty pathetic.

Anyway, Martin I have always given you good feedback on a lot of your images you have posted in the past. A lot more times than you have done for me. You seem to find fault with a lot of cameras and seem to be unhappy a lot but that is just my reaction to all your posts. I wish you well in finding that perfect camera and posting more images again.

May 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.135 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Well, I'm happy I got a copy that seem to work as expected. I don't ask the impossible - coming from several other LIVE cameras I understand the pros and cons of contrast AF, for example. The camera is what it is. For me it was nearly unusable until it got a grip and the EVF, for example. That's about that.

===

Pano head anyone?
My old trusty Nodal Ninja doesn't work with the RX1. The camera is too small making it impossible to get the entrance pupil correctly. The camera needs to be closer to the rotation axis than the Nodal Ninja permits.

Is there a working option?

May 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.135 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:
I never referred to your cases where you had bad copies. I was talking about those people who had said the lens was not sharp when the first images were posted.

So how do you know they were wrong? If there are a lot of bad copies of this camera, it's a problem and if you get one of those it doesn't help a bit if someone else gets a good one. It doesn't have to be "false" or "over negative" posts.

I have high expectations on gear and in a camera at this price there simply should not exist decentered lenses. I was very happy with the RX1 except for the random output and it was nearly exactly what I had been waiting for, for years. Of course I'm upset after spending a lot of money on crap.

May 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password