Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              133      
       135              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

MovinMan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.134 #1 · p.134 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I just picked up a new RX1.

Can someone who is familiar with the menu explain how to set up a custom white balance? I can get to the CWB mode, but I can't figure out how to import a gray scale image.

I'm used to Canon menus and this one is throwing me ......

Any help would be appreciated.

May 03, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.134 #2 · p.134 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I'm still sure your second copy also was a faulty one Martin. I would't say it's an unreliable camera, but terrible QC. My first one also had to go back.
As I'm in Istanbul right now I'm using my RX1 more seriously for the first time. When focus locks and my shutter speed is fast enough (very important, even 1/80 is sometimes not enough) the results are fantastic. The IQ of this little camera still impresses me.
The AF feels like a turtle now that I'm using it together with an OM-D, but it's good enough for many things.

May 04, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.134 #3 · p.134 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks for the link. Pretty clever using the friction tape. I could also see maybe using something like cork tape or similar, like what is used for bicycle handle bars. Also nice to read that the shutter release is comfortable with that grip.

There is a half case coming out in a week or so with a built in grip that I may wait on which looks interesting.
http://ulysses.jp/products/detail_image.php?product_id=294&image=main_large_image

Not super comfortable but comfortable enough (about the shutter release).
The tape is a tough, I guess most users would prefer something more leather like but I like the absolute grip.
And, yes, I would have waited for the ulysses case as well. But as it is the RX1 is the only camera I have so I want it to work for me, now. Hence the grip and the EVF. I'm pretty sure there will be quite some different ways to pimp an RX1 as it frankly isn't ready for use out of the box.

May 04, 2013 at 08:48 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.134 #4 · p.134 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

134 PGs talk without be a image thread and still going strong for a body, I wonder how many extra sells us FM board bring to Sony just for this thread.
I hope people don't need go through these whole 134 PGs for information, that is a disaster.

May 04, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.134 #5 · p.134 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jochenb wrote:
I'm still sure your second copy also was a faulty one Martin. I would't say it's an unreliable camera, but terrible QC. My first one also had to go back.

After having owned the RX1 for two weeks my initial impression is the same as Jochen's. I haven't been able to reproduce the results described earlier in this thread. My copy, as "tested" by me during this short time, behaves well and it seems as I can trust the AF and performance in general.

May 04, 2013 at 08:56 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.134 #6 · p.134 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

You cannot assign any statistical value to an assertion based on anecdotal evidence alone, except for the very small sample size of one or two, I suppose, but generalisability is likely to be low in validity, with poor P values and the null hypothesis almost certainly correct ;-) The key is how does the company handle such issues post-sale?

zhangyue, have you not found the image thread yet? It's on page one with 45 pages, might be best not to take a look though. I am sure Makten has helped sales along no end, lol. And you can use Search, best done in Google. Or simply ask again. Other excellent RX1 material in many places, available on request.

On a positive note, I was just at the Sigma 35/1.4 page looking at cars shot in midday sun and could not believe how poor shadow detail was, to the point of distraction - none of the cars appear to have tyre tread for example, the dark ones lack paint detail. Having seen so many RX1/a99 images of late, not least my own, and shooting in strong sun all the time, I must have become spoilt for DR. Then again, perhaps a processing choice, for that Velvia effect? not sure..

May 04, 2013 at 05:41 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.134 #7 · p.134 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

First impressions:

It's just an extremely well-rounded camera capable of anything a 35mm FL can be expected to do. After checking for no decentreing and sensor dust, a first experiment.

I just ran a careful side-by-side series for an intimate landscape (FD of 6-7 metres) against the Contax 35-70 at 35mm at f5.6-f11 (solid technique), they were almost identical in resolution and depth perception, lack of CA also, even colour after WB equalisation.

Which one did better depended on where in the frame you looked. Same sensor, I use an a99, though maybe Sony futzed with either or both for AF improvements, and the RX1 rear element to sensor proximity. I used up to f11 as Tim Ashely had the opinion that the RX1 still did well there, and I know the zoom does.

At first I thought maybe I should be disappointed, I mean is this what 20 years of progress nets you?...then on reflection realised that this kind of deep landscape work is certainly not the forte of the RX1, and yet it equals the huge microcontrast of the Contax zoom (at its best apertures). The zoom is of course a lens that is much more constrained in utility and ideal focal distances and lens speed/bokeh, not to mention size and weight.

I was just now hunting around for the release date of the old zoom (my CZ serial number pub'n is at home) and found this interesting post over at getdpi:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/canon/23828-contax-35-70-3-4-vs-zeiss-ze-35-2-a.html

My zoom was old shop stock, bought new, I now figure I got lucky with that one, and the RX1 also. It's kind of important, as for light duty treks the RX1 is now an 'ideal case' camera, then there is the macro function, which gets you an MFD of 0.3m compared to the zoom's 0.7m. The shutter is just fabulous.

May 08, 2013 at 06:46 PM
privater

p.134 #8 · p.134 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

MovinMan wrote:
I just picked up a new RX1.

Can someone who is familiar with the menu explain how to set up a custom white balance? I can get to the CWB mode, but I can't figure out how to import a gray scale image.

I'm used to Canon menus and this one is throwing me ......

Any help would be appreciated.

You can find them when you're in the WB setting sub menu, such as:
Fn-> WB and scroll backwards, you can set 3 WB custom settings with simple took a exposure or assign a temperature number to it.

May 08, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.134 #9 · p.134 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philip_pj wrote:
First impressions:

It's just an extremely well-rounded camera capable of anything a 35mm FL can be expected to do. After checking for no decentreing and sensor dust, a first experiment.

I just ran a careful side-by-side series for an intimate landscape (FD of 6-7 metres) against the Contax 35-70 at 35mm at f5.6-f11 (solid technique), they were almost identical in resolution and depth perception, lack of CA also, even colour after WB equalisation.

Which one did better depended on where in the frame you looked. Same sensor, I use an a99, though maybe Sony futzed with either or both for AF improvements,
...Show more

For some reason, I thought you had owned the RX1 for a while.

I have to say I have been testing my RX1 and I too am completely confident in its optical capabilities. I don't know if I just got lucky with a good copy, but the lens on mine leaves nothing on the table and the AF seems to be very accurate thus far. I was comparing some of my results against the ZF 35/2 as used on the a900 I owned and the RX1 lens is better in every respect.

May 08, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.134 #10 · p.134 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Just to refresh the thread, my EVF showed up today and it indeed is much, much better than the one in the NEX-7 I had previous experience with. Better contrast, more accurate color and better eye relief. I particularly like using it at about a 45 degree angle while cradling the camera in the left hand. Not so different an experience than using a classic MF film camera with a 45 degree prism. I suspect the EVF will probably stay on the cameras from now on.

May 09, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.134 #11 · p.134 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

April 26:
Jonas B wrote:
...like any addict I have to congratulate you!
And in much less than thirty days you'll have pimped the camera with a viewfinder, a hood and the grip, no?
The grip makes the camera bigger but, at least for me, in a good way only.

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Well, I'm probably going to order a grip right now. I'll wait on the finder as I already have an optical finder I'm going to try on it.

You are half way there Tariq! Congratulations - being able to tilt that viewfinder is great (which we knew) and that it also is good enough is also great.

I suspect the EVF will probably stay on the cameras from now on.

Yeah... Don't forget the rubber band...

May 10, 2013 at 02:52 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.134 #12 · p.134 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Jonas B wrote:
Yeah... Don't forget the rubber band...

It's not as loose as I expected given what I had read. Yes, if it gets bumped hard it would probably slide off but it's not going to just slide off on it's own that I can tell.

May 10, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.134 #13 · p.134 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Sony releases the RX-1 and I think, "Okay, I can understand why they're not ready for a FF ILC. Optimizing a sensor for a fixed lens is probably a lot easier than designing one that will work well with a wide variety of lenses."

But then I find out about the VG-900 and I think, "Okay Sony, what the %$#@ are you doing to me?"

May 10, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.134 #14 · p.134 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I really don't feel the need to secure the EVF. It always stays in place for me.

May 10, 2013 at 03:25 PM
tulaev
• •
p.134 #15 · p.134 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I've got my RX1 too and don't see any problem with sharpness.
100% crop, full open:
http://album.foto.ru/photos/or/107539/3103663.jpg

May 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM
treacle
• • •
p.134 #16 · p.134 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I have had my RX1 since before Christmas and I enjoy shooting with it. I am going to be traveling on a Mediterranean cruise this summer and am thinking of traveling light with just the RX1 and one other small camera with a longer lens. Usually I shoot with a D800 and 70-200 or 85 for a long lens so I would be looking to replace that for this trip. You can see some of my images in the links in my signature.

I am looking for suggestions for a companion small camera. Any suggestion on body and lens?
Thanks

May 12, 2013 at 07:57 PM
jaywpage

p.134 #17 · p.134 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I am planning trips to Europe and the Himalayas over the next couple of years and I will be carrying a Sigma DP2M as a companion camera to the RX1. They are sufficiently different from each other both in their weaknesses and strengths and it's nice to have the longer focal length on the Sigma.

May 12, 2013 at 09:45 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.134 #18 · p.134 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It's not as loose as I expected given what I had read. Yes, if it gets bumped hard it would probably slide off but it's not going to just slide off on it's own that I can tell.

Maybe I have a bad copy of the EVF with a loose foot but mine consistently falls off if I strap the camera across my shoulder and sit down, either on a chair or a bench or in the park, etc. I've lost it at dinner parties, in the park, etc.. each time my hearbeat goes up a notch while I hunt for it, had been lucky so far but have now decided to remove the EVF when I am sitted. I'll give the rubber band solution a try this week.

May 14, 2013 at 09:27 AM
Muizen

p.134 #19 · p.134 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

joe88 wrote:
Maybe I have a bad copy of the EVF with a loose foot but mine consistently falls off if I strap the camera across my shoulder and sit down, either on a chair or a bench or in the park, etc. I've lost it at dinner parties, in the park, etc.. each time my hearbeat goes up a notch while I hunt for it, had been lucky so far but have now decided to remove the EVF when I am sitted. I'll give the rubber band solution a try this week.

Joe88: If you use a new "fresh" thin rubber band, pull it with some force around the front and the left and right sides of the foot that is going to move in to the shoe, it will fix the EVF in a way that you will have some trouble getting it off again. For getting it off you will need to apply some force with a stump object (of plastic or wood) against the front side.
I now feel very comfortable that I will not loose this precious EVF!
Harry

May 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.134 #20 · p.134 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

joe88 wrote:

That doesn't sound right to me but I can only base it on how mine fits. Mine will not just slide out on it's own and is not loose fitting. It's not something I feel I need to be worried about with the camera hanging from it's strap. You might go to a Sony store and see if your EVF foot or RX1 hot shoe is looser than it should be before going the rubber band route. It seems like if you jam something in there to make it tighter than it would make the RX1 shoe looser when using any other accessory.

I have read the suggestion of using a lanyard around the EVF connected to maybe the camera strap near the lug. I guess that would prevent actually loosing the EVF should it slide out.

May 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.