Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              122      
       124              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Muizen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.123 #1 · p.123 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

colonelpurple wrote:
Luigi has the nicest new case IMHO although seems to cover the AEL button.
It's also very expensive, 209 euros + vat.
After Cyprus the euro is probably on the way down down down anyway

I checked with Luigi, but his half case for the RX1 does not cover the AEL-button or anything that should be accessible!
Harry

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Muizen

p.123 #2 · p.123 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Chris Crevasse wrote:
With the RX1, to accomplish AF on a back button, assign AF/MF Control Hold to your AEL button, and set your front focus dial to MF. This disables focus from the shutter release. To focus, press the AEL button, and AF is engaged. When you release the AEL button, the camera reverts to MF, and your focus is locked where focus was achieved while in AF. To refocus, simply press the AEL button again.

When using the EVF it is better to assign AF/MF to the C-button and not to the AEL-button, because when holding the EVF to your eye, it is difficult to locate the AEL button. The C-button is easy 'to find'
Harry

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.123 #3 · p.123 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Philip,

I use a Optech neoprene poach which is big enough to fit over camera with EVF on.
I think it is the D-compact model. Not exactly sure, as I got it in a local camera store to make sure it fit.

http://optechusa.com/soft-pouch-digital-d-series.html

It is cheap ~$22, and protects from water and dust and fits nicely in backpacks for hiking and adds very little extra weight. I like it as I can fold/collapse it up and store in a jacket pocket when I am shooting.

philip_pj wrote:
That's reassuring, Wayne, and that is what I will do also, any suggestions for the neoprene bag? It will then go in either a small waist bag or a daypack, but that simple primary protection is a great way to go, keep out dust too.

Tariq, it seems that is the tendency for many people...I think it was Helena here who said her RX1 results imrpoved when she started treating it as a 'real camera' not a P&S, or words to that effect. Using a Leica M that way seems a little strange, but who am I to judge.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.123 #4 · p.123 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thank you, Wayne. I think I will end up with a few bags over time...I will regard the EVF as a perm fixture also.

The case issue - I would love to be able to use a QR plate as well as some form of case, either the minimalist Gariz (not bad price on auction site) or something less chubby than whatever Luigi turns out. Just some basic protection against knocks. Some of the small minibags look pretty good for general transport for one camera usage, like the Lowepro Apex 110 AW, which should take the camera plus EVF with room for batts, CR, lens cloth, etc.

Came across a left field idea for a lens hood which I will try - a 49mm to 37mm step down ring. The idea being to be able to grab it intact and ready to go, then place it back in the bag.

A lot of experienced folks are getting interested in the RX1, looking hard at it, in fault-finding mode mostly. Here is a pretty good summation, echoing the notion of it as a superb allrounder:

'Yeah, the IQ is the thing with the RX1. I didn't want or expect to like the RX1 nearly as much as I do and now I'm probably gonna buy it when my review period is up. If I was still looking for a street camera and was OK with 35mm, I'd probably still pick the X100s with that application at the front of my mind.

But, as noted, I've really got that street angle well covered in my kit. But as an amazing all around 35mm with IQ to die for, particularly in low light (which matters quite a lot to me), the RX1 is unbeatable. And it'll do street well enough!'

People will basically look over the camera, find likes and dislikes, then they look at the output...

Mar 26, 2013 at 07:23 PM
chasdfg
• • •
p.123 #5 · p.123 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kaigai/item/lhp-1/

Can anyone confirm if this is the original hood? Same weight, and i think same dimensions. Could be a good way to save some money for the original. I might get one myself.
Also when you use the hood filters can be used yeah? And the lens cap as well?

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.123 #6 · p.123 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I hope in a future firmware release they could display a big X or something across the EVF when the lens is set to macro distance and you try to focus on something farther away which is outside the macro distance range. Right now you have to always remember to switch the lrns out of macro mode aftwr taking macro shots or you will forget lster and try and take a non macro shot later and it Will be blurry.
Just got burnt the other day by this. I have seen others mention this.

Still love this camera and its IQ!

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM
chasdfg
• • •
p.123 #7 · p.123 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Hello all, i tried 2 RX-1's today and both had the colour cast makten had before! I was so so close to buying one. What a pity. I have to wait for new stock now.
Why is my luck so bad? or well, how widespread is this issue? Im sure if i didnt shoot a white background/piece of paper or ceiling i wouldn't have noticed this, but here the camera is close to $4000 and paying a premium for a defective product...not my thing (or many people's thing)

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.123 #8 · p.123 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

aFrIcanSH wrote:
Hello all, i tried 2 RX-1's today and both had the colour cast makten had before! I was so so close to buying one. What a pity. I have to wait for new stock now.
Why is my luck so bad? or well, how widespread is this issue? Im sure if i didnt shoot a white background/piece of paper or ceiling i wouldn't have noticed this, but here the camera is close to $4000 and paying a premium for a defective product...not my thing (or many people's thing)

They all have color casts in certain situations. You can remove it with cornerfix.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:06 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.123 #9 · p.123 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

But why is there a colour cast at all in a camera with one body, one lens, welded together from the factory? That is just sloppy.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:14 AM
Sagar
• • • •
p.123 #10 · p.123 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Probably the price you pay for miniaturizing with current available technology?

carstenw wrote:
But why is there a colour cast at all in a camera with one body, one lens, welded together from the factory? That is just sloppy.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:17 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.123 #11 · p.123 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

carstenw wrote:

I agree, but I can live with it.

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:36 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.123 #12 · p.123 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

After I turned off "Lens Comp.: Shading" in the camera menu a couple of months ago I haven't seen any color cast in my shots.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.123 #13 · p.123 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Okay cool i'll check with my other friends to see how it goes. Are you all using the sony hoods or some 3rd party ones??

so this is more of a non-issue? I could probably live with it. One of my friends says all he sees is more vignetting and isn't sure if the cast is gone after he turned lens comp. off

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM
romneythor

p.123 #14 · p.123 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Just wondering if anyone has a concise answer as to exactly which of the in camera corrections are baked into the RAW files?? I know there has been mention of the vignetting but I am also wondering about the abrasion and distortion. Im shooting in only RAW and just after peoples advice on this for best results processing in Lightroom 4.4. The LR lens profile does not list any dedicated chromatic abrasion correction but this may possibly be something happening under the hood within the profile?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Mar 27, 2013 at 08:09 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.123 #15 · p.123 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I am using ~$8 hood I bought on ebay which Helena provided the link to earlier in this thread.
I have heard from RX1 users that turning of the "Lens Comp Shading" fixes the corner color cast problem.
I leave the "Lens Comp: Shading" on "Auto" and see no color casts even testing on white paper subject.
There is also "Lens Comp: Chro Aber" and "Lens Comp: Distortion" which I also leave on "Auto".
I know the Lens Comp: Distortion must be only performed on jpegs because I can still see LR4 correcting the distortion on the RAW image when I enable the profile for the RX1.
I am not sure if the LR4 profile does any CA removal or color cast correction to the RAW file. Does not seem like it to me.
Romneythor, I think you meant to say chromatic aberration instead of "abrasion".

Mar 27, 2013 at 09:41 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.123 #16 · p.123 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Here is a very decent review of the RX1 from a very tuned in photographer, who also takes the time to debunk the old hat ETTR technique:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2012/12/sony-rx1-colour-shift-calibration-aperture-series-ettr-more

He cover the issues raised about colour shifts etc in some detail, along with the 'mid field weakness'.

His conclusion on the lens echoes what we see elsewhere:

"..this is a very, very fine lens and IMHO is worth around 2/3rds of the cost of the entire camera on its own. After several months of shooting the D800E with a variety of lenses, finding a full frame alternative which makes getting sharpness from edge to edge and corner to corner so easy and so reliable, is a great relief...for many uses, I would actively choose the RX1 if I wanted the best results. It utterly rocks."

Interestingly he regards diffraction to be only an issue at f11. More versatility due to - bigger pixels!

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM
romneythor

p.123 #17 · p.123 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

This has probably been covered but is it possible to set minimum shutter speed for auto iso in aperture priority mode?

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:13 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.123 #18 · p.123 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Got my rx1 today! As far as i know minimal colour cast, and thanks to you guys i ordered the $6 lens hood, and thanks to wayne i got the optech d-compact case. I also got a 49mm b+w MRC uv/haze filter but the original lens cap doesn't fit onto it very well..
Shall get the evf and a spare battery when my local camera store gets stock.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.123 #19 · p.123 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Yes spare battery is necessary along with seoarate battery charger, Premium TechPT80. The EVF is worth getting imho but is a personal decision.
I hope that is the Optech I got. I don't have the receipt and the cover doesn't have the model name on it. Make sure it has enough room for the EVF to stay on. The cover I got does. I ordered my EVF through online Sony store as localcamera stores did not have thrm in stock.
Yes, my slim MRC polarizer has the same problem of the lens cap not fitting on well due to slim filters don't have filter threads on both sides.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM
rbranan
• • • •
p.123 #20 · p.123 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

i got a spare battery and charger as part of the sony store promo (includes back cover and 2 year damage/ext warranty also). bought one more battery and a used pristine b&w 49 filter for $9 (the cap works great with it as the thread depth on the outside is deep). for whatever reason, the sony store manager gave me an additional discount--which more than covered the overpriced lens hood (that thing is made to leica standards!). so far so good--will use on quick trip to london and africa this weekend.

I shoot for print and web publications--the files are amazing to work with. Many deadline wire services only want 2-3M files--so 24M is crazy.

I can live with a 35 focal length for many of my needs--zoom with my legs. I bought the EV finder as well, but took it back. While nice, it is one more thing to carry and I like the screen (gotten used to using an iphone for photos). Plus I know I would break it in short time--too much plastic for me. I did a few hours of 6500 ISO stuff and the manual focus was real easy to use with the back screen.

I shot my D4's last night on assignment and my bag weighs around 50 pounds. This little guy, a mini manfrotto tripod, radios and Q-flash weighs in quite a bit less--great for quick travel. also won't draw a crowd (I taped out the Sony and RX1 name not that anyone cares). look totally like a geek tourist instead of a geek photographer!

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.