Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              117      
       119              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.118 #1 · p.118 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

colonelpurple wrote:

My vote for infinity goes into the shots I am getting from the RX1, seems like a landscape backup is no longer necessary either:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8228/8557525997_18e3934b29_b_d.jpg

I have heard the Fovean thing mentioned many times
This is an extraordinary sensor (at ISO 100 only) but only slight exceeds the definition of the Sony FFs but not the lenses.
saying that the DP Merrills are certainly extraordinary cameras at the APS-C level.
I was thinking of the new DP3 (75mm equiv) to accompany my RX1 for portraits and telephoto landscape

The lenses on the Sigma DP Merrills are pretty amazing imo but anyway, Is that serious moire I see (which is what it really looks like) or just funky windows in that building?

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
colonelpurple

Upload & Sell: Off
p.118 #2 · p.118 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

no moire at all. its just at this distance there is a lot of detail in the windows

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.118 #3 · p.118 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

colonelpurple wrote:
no moire at all. its just at this distance there is a lot of detail in the windows

Really. Maybe something weird happened with the web resize and sharpening. Any chance you could post a crop of those windows from the front face facing towards the right. I'm just curious what they look like in detail.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:01 PM
colonelpurple

p.118 #4 · p.118 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

yes
can't send crop today
however this is a flickr resize so anything could happen

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:21 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.118 #5 · p.118 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

colonelpurple wrote:
however this is a flickr resize so anything could happen

Well, that explains a LOT!

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.118 #6 · p.118 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
To be honest, I want better than Nikon. I have Nikon, why would I want worse Nikon colours are fine, but Fuji colours are better. I wish Nikon would spend some development cycles here.

you should probably shoot a comparison yourself then when Ms become available rather than go by dxo. nobody other than sony (maybe) is really shooting for color accuracy, they all have a specific look they are targeting, especially leica and fuji. that is mostly what you are seeing when you compare canon colors to nikon colors to fuji colors rather than what dxo measures.

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.118 #7 · p.118 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The M is kinda irrelevant for my use at the moment. The lenses are too expensive, and there are some DSLR lenses I am not yet willing to let go of, but wouldn't make much sense on a small camera like that. And there is the price... The resolution is sufficient, and I suspect that colours and dynamic range might be fine, but not the rest.

If Leica nailed all the features in the M II, then I might consider that, but I will skip this round.

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.118 #8 · p.118 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Leica also needs to quit making the bodies thicker and thicker with each generation! First the M digitals were much thicker than the film M's and now the new M is even thicker than the previous digital M's. The Leica M body now itself is only about an inch thinner than the RX1! At this rate, future M's will grow to the thickness of DSLR's, completely negating the compact size of their lenses.

http://j.mp/XFTDnN

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.118 #9 · p.118 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yes, if they could get it down around M6 size with display and controls sticking out on the back, that would be just wonderful. At the moment they just feel chubby and clumsy to me.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.118 #10 · p.118 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
Yes, if they could get it down around M6 size with display and controls sticking out on the back, that would be just wonderful. At the moment they just feel chubby and clumsy to me.

It's certainly possible given what Sony has demonstrated. Question is, is it possible for Leica? They are probably more limited with regard to both R&D and parts bin constraints (The can't just design/ make what they need like someone like Sony might be able to).

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.118 #11 · p.118 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:

+1

the m9 felt too fat for me. i'm reasonably sure i'd like the feel of an rx-1 in the hand better.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.118 #12 · p.118 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I think I prefer the M9 to the RX1. The RX1 is just too small, I think. You can't grab it right and fully, and somehow it doesn't feel secure in my hands. I think if they had shaped the RX1 more like an X100, it would have been much nicer.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.118 #13 · p.118 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
I think I prefer the M9 to the RX1. The RX1 is just too small, I think. You can't grab it right and fully, and somehow it doesn't feel secure in my hands. I think if they had shaped the RX1 more like an X100, it would have been much nicer.

I try to get use to the handling of RX1 at Sony Store, but can't. NEX7 is very good though. On the other hand, M9 is not that good compare to M3, but still better than most.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.118 #14 · p.118 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:

do you try to hold them with the tips of your fingers instead of the sides? or do you just like the extra height to get more fingers on?

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.118 #15 · p.118 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I would like more space between the right end and the lens, as well as more height and a more pronounced grip. The RX1 is very small...

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.118 #16 · p.118 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Huff says the minimalist Gariz 'case' adds a centimetre or so to the bottom of the RX1, which assists in handling it. Still gives access to battery, card and even includes a tripod mount, important for some.

Also has a ring for attaching a fancy strap to. Owing a lage number of cameras made me care much more about weight and performance than size...I could never reject one out of hand (no pun) because I had to concentrate a little more on holding it. It's a small price for the image quality and operation excellence of the RX1, which at least has a decent size lens to hold.

You get used to holding most things even if they are not ideal for you. They can't be, given the range of human hands...variations in overall size, suppleness, strength, finger length/thickness, etc. From girly model hands to boilermaker hands; some are arthritic, injured, congenital abnormalities. Normal people work around these kinds of things and the whole small camera market depends on it, and has done well.

I would never use a camera not fastened to a strap however.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.118 #17 · p.118 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I am sure it can be worked around, and I am not rejecting this camera because of the size or shape, but it isn't what I would prefer.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.118 #18 · p.118 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
I would like more space between the right end and the lens, as well as more height and a more pronounced grip. The RX1 is very small...

i was curious because you specified the x100, which doesn't have a noticeably larger grip just taller.

everybody seems to handle cameras different i like shorter cameras (in the rx1/x100/NEX body style) so i can support the camera from underneath with some of my fingers. i also can't use nikon pro cameras or canon rebel cameras comfortably because somehow my fingers are too long yet i have no problems with canon and sony highend/pro cameras and most of nikons non pro cameras.

camera straps always get in my way and annoy me, haven't put one on a camera for years.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.118 #19 · p.118 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

The comparison views doesn't show it well, but the combination of little room between lens and right end, short height and thin grip just makes the RX1 feel insecure in my hands. The Fuji sits there better. The RX1 is also quite heavy for its tiny size, which makes it feel less safe.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#376,133

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.118 #20 · p.118 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
The comparison views doesn't show it well, but the combination of little room between lens and right end, short height and thin grip just makes the RX1 feel insecure in my hands. The Fuji sits there better. The RX1 is also quite heavy for its tiny size, which makes it feel less safe.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#376,133

Your size requirements and preferences sound like they pretty much mirror my own. Most small cameras I have used drive me nuts due to short height (with my fingers hanging off the bottom which is normally where a lot of support comes from with my grip) and with too short of distance between either the right edge/ or grip and the lens (and my fingers feel cramped). The X100 (with a thumbs up) and the NEX7 are the smallest cameras I have used which still felt comfortable and secure. If I had the RX1, I'm sure I would be adding a lot of stuff to make it work in my hand, most of which would end up negating it's small size.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password