Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              111      
       113              193       194       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

h00ligan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.112 #1 · p.112 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Made my own soft release. Ten cents and custom height for my long but not big hands.

Looks like I forgot to turn on lens distortion correction , sorry! Could be 28mm distortion otoh. Anyway. Nice because I won't care if it falls out.

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 06:13 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:09 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.112 #2 · p.112 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Cool

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:13 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.112 #3 · p.112 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thanks...spare computer case screw and a dremel to cut the threads and polish. Five mins!

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:18 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.112 #4 · p.112 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Ah, that is where I have seen that kind of screw before Great idea! Did you consider making it a bit less tall? I imagine that with its current height, it would have quite a bit of torque on the shutter release if pushed sideways.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:32 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.112 #5 · p.112 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Yes. I have. But. Otoh from palm to middle finger rip is just under 8 inches, so it's helpful. Ill crank out a smaller version

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:24 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.112 #6 · p.112 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Dpreview have posted their review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx1

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:15 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.112 #7 · p.112 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thanks for the link.
I think they need to define what amount light they mean when they say it has trouble AFing in low light. My copy does well ss long as the subject has areas of different contrast, ie. Like other CDAF cameras it does not do well on all black subjects in the dark.
Also size of subject you are focusing on in dark matters of course..True the AF is slower than normal dslr so it is not the best for moving subjects.
This camera excells at night street shooting and with small unobtrusive size and silent shutter which even leica can not match.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:09 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.112 #8 · p.112 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

To be fair to the DPR outfit, they do acknowledge the nichiness (TM me) of the RX1.

Feb 20, 2013 at 03:46 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.112 #9 · p.112 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

philip_pj wrote:
To be fair to the DPR outfit, they do acknowledge the nichiness (TM me) of the RX1.

Yeah, but you would have to be a dope not to see the very high IQ of the RX1 with top of line Sony sensor and zeiss lens combo.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:56 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.112 #10 · p.112 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I've found the RX1 AF pales in comparison to the OM-D across a broad range of conditions, particularly in low light - and even in the best conditions for CDAF, while the OM-D is almost clairvoyant in it's ability to quickly focus on exactly what I want the subject to be, I often disagree with the AF point selection by the RX1 in multipoint AF mode. Reminds me of my Nex 5n and 7 I used to have. And the OM-D AF is surprisingly good even in many low light situations - though this is VERY lens dependent. The OM-D taught me that while better sensor performance is great when everything comes together, having fantastic AF means a much higher proportion of keepers that compensates for some of it's disadvantages against larger sensors.

As I find RX1 AF too often frustrating, I'm working through my focus workflow and custom settings now. The RX1 is bringing me back to my 5D2 days, with center spot focus and recompose, and using AF-ON to manually trigger AF...

Probably going to go with MF with the 'C' or 'AEL' button on AF/MF Hold.

Loving the IQ, absolutely worth adapting to the camera for many of my personal use cases for a camera.

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:03 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.112 #11 · p.112 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Some people are driven to value (above all else seemingly) either the fit of a camera in the hand, or the menu buttons; these factors are seen as huge positives/negatives for/against a camera, followed hotly by AF performance.

These are the talking points in many m4/3 user threads, see the present one 'First impressions' where the first four points deal with just these 'major' concerns.

At the other end of the spectrum are people who will tolerate merely very usable haptics to get the right image quality. My point: it is a matter of priority.

Do you favour the endless pleasure of viewing high quality final images or the process of the few seconds of shooting it took to get the images? Like how fast the AF motor worked? Is it that hard to work the lens yourself or take more care or time?

Personally I could never use a small sensor camera if given the chance of something like an RX1, for a host of IQ related reasons: dynamic range, tonal gradation, colour sensitivity, black and white capability.

Here is a link to a site where you can check and do easy assessments of the measurable variables:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/833%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/793%7C0/(brand2)/Olympus/(appareil3)/695%7C0/(brand3)/Fujifilm

Not touched on are the less measurable but very clear advantages the RX1 offers in the way of fabulous bokeh, focus fade, microcontrast, superb noise character, file size, print size enlargability, file manipulation. And versatility in type of usage and subject matter.

A lot of people are not going to see and/or value these things highly, and that is why m43 and similar cameras exist. Best wishes to them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.112 #12 · p.112 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I'm still amazed by the IQ.
These RAW files are the most amazing I've seen on my computer yet. So flexible, great color and huge dynamic range.
There are quite some things I like better on my Fuji X-E1 (ergonomics, EVF, menu, ability to use timed trigger,...), but the IQ of the RX1 just can't be touched.
It's a pity I don't have any photo opportunities at the moment.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:03 AM
VladiD
• • •
p.112 #13 · p.112 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I personally find the ability to sync at up to 1/4000s incredibly valuable for street shooting with flash. F/8, set the focus distance to ~2m, forget it and gun away.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:58 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.112 #14 · p.112 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

DXO Review of the RX1 lens: Is this the ultimate moderate wide-angle lens?

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Sony-Cyber-shot-RX1-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-2-35-Is-this-the-ultimate-moderate-wide-angle-lens/Comparison

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:47 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.112 #15 · p.112 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Thankd Serhan for the link.
Wow sharper than new Sigma 35/1.4.
My portraits have been super sharp with my RX1.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.112 #16 · p.112 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

I shelved plans to acquire Leica's very good 35/2 Summicron (~$1000), to be used for groups and close work, when I saw the quality of images here at FM and at getdpi, some of which just take your breath away. Now, because quite a lot people don't either see it themselves or lean heavily on the measure sites' views, a small quote from DxO via the Sony rumour site:

"DxOmark published the RX1 Zeiss lens performance test. And they write: “ Its optical performance is outstanding, and particularly noteworthy for its consistent sharpness and homogenous imaging across the frame. With excellent image quality at maximum aperture becoming outstanding at f/2.8 and on, the Zeiss Sonnar T* 2/35 is likely to become a classic, against which all others are judged. Of course the lens can only be obtained with the purchase of the RX1, a camera that is not entirely without its own quirks and shortcomings. In spite of this, if you have the money to invest, then close to perfect imagery is assured.”

And for all these people that do think the RX1 is too expensive read this: “With a high overall DxOMark score of 33, the Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* is a superb performer optically. That score puts it comfortably ahead of the $1,850 manual focus Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 (35mm f/1.4) on a Nikon D3X, which achieved a DxOMark score of 30.”

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:50 PM
tulaev
• •
p.112 #17 · p.112 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

The Shape of the Future:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50916744

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
tulaev
• •
p.112 #18 · p.112 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

2 good reviews from photographers:
http://www.peteradamsphoto.com/?page_id=3641
http://duncandavidson.com/gear/sony/rx1/

"I think that there’s some cognitive dissonance that comes from the fact that it’s a compact camera and the idea that it costs as much as a regular full-frame SLR just doesn’t make sense to some. It’s smaller! And the lens doesn’t come off! Both true. But, it’s just as capable as a Nikon D600 with a Zeiss 35mm f/2 lens—the sum of which adds up to around the same cost and which won’t fit in your jacket pocket nor be nearly as discreet. "

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.112 #19 · p.112 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

tulaev wrote:
The Shape of the Future:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50916744

Personally, I hope that the shape of the future will have a built-in EVF and a zoom lens. The RX1's concept is great, it just needs a little refinement...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:49 AM
tulaev
• •
p.112 #20 · p.112 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (Original 2012 thread)

Zoom?! Unrealistic.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:18 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.