Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              104      
       106              192       193       end

Archive 2012 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

HelenaN
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.105 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thank you both, especially Rich because your advice did the trick! Not sure how I have managed to change that USB connection setting, but it was on "Mass storage" instead of Auto. Can't believe I didn't think of checking that. Seems so obvious now...

Very quiet in here. Well, I just enjoy shooting with the camera now and can't think of much to say. I guess it's the same for most of you.

I did order that cheap hood on eBay and should receive it soon, and as a Christmas gift family has helped pay for an EVF, so I'm waiting for that as well.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:48 AM
megancanada
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.105 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

DxOMark just scored the RX1.

Came in fourth place behind the D800e, D800, D600

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Is-the-RX1-the-compact-photojournalists-are-waiting-for

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:19 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.105 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

megancanada wrote:
DxOMark just scored the RX1.

Came in fourth place behind the D800e, D800, D600

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Is-the-RX1-the-compact-photojournalists-are-waiting-for

No surprise here, IQ has been great just like my D800E but 24MP instead of 36MP.

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:17 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.105 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you both, especially Rich because your advice did the trick! Not sure how I have managed to change that USB connection setting, but it was on "Mass storage" instead of Auto. Can't believe I didn't think of checking that. Seems so obvious now...

Very quiet in here. Well, I just enjoy shooting with the camera now and can't think of much to say. I guess it's the same for most of you.

I did order that cheap hood on eBay and should receive it soon, and as a Christmas gift family has helped pay for an EVF, so I'm
...Show more

Yes, been very busy over the holidays spending time with family and friends and taking some pictures but not having any time to PP them and post them. Maybe tomorrow.
You will like the EVF and makes the camera experience so much better.
Let me know how you like your lens hood and which one you got.
I just got my Power2000 battery charger which I will use a lot since the battery life with EVF is not great, especially in colder weather as you know. I also got a B+W lens shade, slim MRC polarizer, and 49mm to 67mm up ring so I can further scale up to my Lee filter holder using my existing up rings.
I also got a neoprene Optech cover which fits over it to protect it and is nice and light and can be removed easily and stored in my jacket pocket.
Do you know if there is a wireless remote for this camera yet? I want it for street shooting.

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:37 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.105 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Sounds nice Wayne, I look forward to see them.

Last night I was out with some photography friends and found that I really missed a VF, because it was hard to keep the camera steady without one. With 5D + 35mm I can relatively easily get sharp shots at 1/20, but with RX1 I sometimes get motion blur even at 1/50. That should improve with a EVF, but perhaps not to the level of 5D because I think the Canon's weight makes it easier to keep it steady.

I got to try a NEX 6 with Zeiss 24/1.8. I think I read that its EVF is similar to the one for RX1? If that's true I should be happy with it because it seemed great. I didn't notice any lag even in very low light, which has been a big problem with all EVFs I have tried before. Btw. I thought that the NEX was nice, but felt somewhat front heavy with the Zeiss, which is larger than I had imagined.

This is the hood I ordered:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160922862977
It's the same that many others have bought and people seem happy with it. Not sure if it can be used together with filters though, I forgot to check that. I'll let you know what I think once I have tried it, but I suspect it'll take at least a couple of weeks to get here.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about a wireless remote.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:09 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.105 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks Helena!
Yes, EVF should help reduce motion blur and I find hardly any lag either.
Also since 5d is lesser resolution then motion blur shows less. You should try hand holding my 36MP D800E, it really requires good shooting technique when handheld.
Will be interesting to see how you find the NEX6 in comparison.
At least RX1 has very quiet shutter and no mirror slap like a DSLR.
BTW, beautiful landscape shots you posted of the farm in the fog/mist and the snowy bridge in the image thread. Bridge shot has plenty of detail in the foreground and in the far distance.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:40 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.105 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thank you Wayne!

You're right, I keep forgetting that higher resolution is more demanding. Now when I'm aware of it I rarely get motion blur, but the first days I was a bit sloppy.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel the EVF order because the shop emailed me this morning and said that they may not receive them until March! I don't want to wait that long because we have some trips coming up, but I can't find them in stock anywhere in Norway. Maybe I'll have to order from abroad somewhere.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.105 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I got my EVF from Sony online store and saved $100 off it by signing up for Sony Visa card at the time. Went to local Sony store around xmas and they did not have any in stock yet.
Good luck, I hope you get one soon!

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
megancanada
• •
p.105 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I ordered mine from Sony Canada on line store and saved $100 as well around Christmas. They are supposed to be available in the end of January. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:24 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.105 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I'm torn on not only the evf but the camera right now.

1) the evf for me isn't as helpful as others....or ar least convenient. I'm somewhere between 6'4/5" so I shoot from my sternum for most people shots...flip screens help greatly having already ruptured my l5 twice. So while I like viewfinders in general I overall end up hating the way I feel after shooting a lot. When I shot my sister in law's wedding I literally kneeld and sat with the 5d2 (in addition to lying down for some different shots) and my back sucked for days. It's one reason I want lighter gear.

2) to me this camera is great up close wide open. And pretty good far off wide open. But not in between wide open. Maybe it's my technique.

As a side not I a concerned by Sony support. I just had to send in my rx100 for sensor dust and while it was an easy enough process I've heard horror stories about requests for augments once received.

Finally I'm not entirely convinced my nex 5n isn't good enough (for me). I don't feel there's much hope I could dump one of my 35L's and use this at an event because the af is too slow and there's no leaking without magnification. The 5n prints fine at 6400 to about 13x19 and that's with vey little noise reduction. Though the rx1 is a monster in terms if iso and the file lattitude blows the 5d2/35L away. It also doesn't have as much character as that combo. And whilst smaller, it's not that much smaller...

So I'm really split. $3200 (if one includes evf) buys a whole lot of cameras. The rx100 sans dust spots is great for an always on. And the af concerns me....however the infinity and close distance. Shots are very unique.

And sadly to anger the fm crowds. I do with it had a tilt screen and don't understand why they omitted hybrid af, other than to get the cam out pre ces

Funnily. I haven't found battery life that bad, but I also lowered the LCD quality.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • •
p.105 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Well... despite my nagging about the European price... I caved in and ordered one together with the EVF.
I'm downsizing my gear and I just have to try this camera myself.
Hopefully I'll like it (and get a good copy).

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:41 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.105 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
Well... despite my nagging about the European price... I caved in and ordered one together with the EVF.
I'm downsizing my gear and I just have to try this camera myself.
Hopefully I'll like it (and get a good copy).

Congrats!

Jan 15, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.105 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks Wayne!

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.105 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Hehe, why am I not surprised? Congrats, Jochen. I guess this is a camera many of us just have to get/try. Hope you get a 100 % one and looking forward to your impressions and shots.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.105 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

He he thanks Morten!
I still think this thing is too expensive in Europe. I sold my 35/1.4 ZE and RX100, that made the decision a littlebit easier.
The online Sony store has a good return policy of 30 days so I thought "oh well, let's do it".

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.105 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Congrats!

+1

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:06 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.105 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/17/a-5-minute-video-showing-how-the-sony-rx1-is-assembled/

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.105 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Actually, w.r.t. the five minutes, they are cheating in one major and one minor way. The major way is of course that this is only final assembly. The lens is already assembled, the PCBs have already been assembled, and so on. The most complicated sub-components are not counted. The minor way is that they skip a second or two here and there, repeatedly. They don't show all the screws which are screwed in, for example, just some, yet the clock still ticks regularly.

Still a fun video though, but the 5 minutes is completely wrong and meaningless.

Jan 17, 2013 at 09:47 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.105 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Does anybody know when the Sony Electronic Viewfinder are gonna be in stock? they seem to be on backorder everywhere

I have a pre-order with B and H

Phil

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:28 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.105 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

jojomon11 wrote:
Does anybody know when the Sony Electronic Viewfinder are gonna be in stock? they seem to be on backorder everywhere

I have a pre-order with B and H

Phil

Try Sony online store. That is where I got mine.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:21 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password