Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              100      
       102              192       193       end

Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.101 #1 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

h00ligan wrote:
Am I missing a way to make the focus box smaller? I can use dmf but this would be more convenient.

Are you using the "flexible spot"? Default is "center", which is a very large square, while the flexible one is quite small and can be freely moved around once you press the center button of the thumb wheel.

A nice setup is to assign the AEL button to toggle between AF and MF. In AF mode, you then can switch to MF instantly and get focus assist and auto-enlargement when turning the focus ring. If you switch to MF mode, instead you get thumb autofocusing whenever you want.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM
SimonBl
• •
p.101 #2 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I, too, collected my EVF a short time ago. Views later today, too busy at work on last day of my work year!

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:16 AM
charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.101 #3 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Thanks Martin for the tips

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:25 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.101 #4 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

mortyb wrote:
^ True, that's a nice thing with the X-E1.

I've decided that the RX1 isn't the camera for me at this price point ($4200 here). It's too much money for what it does for me. Besides I'm not confident with the quality, I get the feeling it's assembled in a hurry. Maybe later sometime. Well, at least I gave it a shot.

I'm a littlebit surprised to read that Morten, but I understand. It's all those complaints that make me doubt to get one (right now), even though I think it has one of the nicest 35mm lenses I've seen at close to medium distance.
I also sold my Leica X1 because I thought it was assembled in a hurry. Are you keeping your X-E1?

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:26 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.101 #5 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten wrote:
Are you using the "flexible spot"? Default is "center", which is a very large square, while the flexible one is quite small and can be freely moved around once you press the center button of the thumb wheel.

A nice setup is to assign the AEL button to toggle between AF and MF. In AF mode, you then can switch to MF instantly and get focus assist and auto-enlargement when turning the focus ring. If you switch to MF mode, instead you get thumb autofocusing whenever you want.

Cheers for that. I just started using flexible but hadn't noticed the size difference. Ael I have to keep as I live in sunny az and frequently meter for the sky and fill flash....but I do have DMF on most of the time.

Edit. I just read your post more carefully. I'm going to have to try that! I guess I better start back logging for more tips from the pros!

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:12 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.101 #6 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Jochenb wrote:
I'm a littlebit surprised to read that Morten, but I understand. It's all those complaints that make me doubt to get one (right now), even though I think it has one of the nicest 35mm lenses I've seen at close to medium distance.
I also sold my Leica X1 because I thought it was assembled in a hurry. Are you keeping your X-E1?

It's just my personal price/feel of quality/value preference. The second copy had its own issues. 1/4 of the LCD screen had some serious bleeding etc. For $4200, I'm not okay with such variation. Yes, I'll keep the X-E1 + 35/1.4 for now. Great light weight, 53/2.1 (?) camera with great looking files. And 100 % feel of quality right from the start.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.101 #7 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I have created two Cornerfix profiles if someone is interested. I run my ARW files through Adobe DNG converter since I use an older ACR version and PS CS5, so for me this is just a minor thing in the workflow as you can batch-convert files quickly.

One for f/2: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/405501/RX1_f2.cpf
And one for f/8: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/405502/RX1_f8.cpf

I don't know if there's much difference in color cast over the aperture range, but you can of course also use the profiles for devignetting. These two are for infinity, but they will hopefully work for anything from ~1.5 meters and up. Shots at closer distance than that are less likely to reveal problems anyway.

Dec 23, 2012 at 09:53 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.101 #8 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten - are these typically more effective than Lightroom correction?

Second question.

Anyone think or have any idea if a Pentax DA 40 2.8 Lens hood would work without vignetting on the rx1. I'm pretty doubtful but curious!

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.101 #9 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

h00ligan wrote:
Makten - are these typically more effective than Lightroom correction?

I have no idea since I don't use a LR version that gives correction.

Second question.

Anyone think or have any idea if a Pentax DA 40 2.8 Lens hood would work without vignetting on the rx1. I'm pretty doubtful but curious!

The DA 40/2.8 is an APS-C lens, so I'd not use a hood from that on FF. Choose something made for 35 mm full frame and you will hopefully be safe. I use a nice screw-in metal hood from an OM 28/3.5 which doesn't vignette with a thick filter behind it.

Edit: Look at the entrance pupil (full aperture) and tilt the camera so that the outer edge of the front lens element coincides with it. The hood should not obstruct light falling in from this angle, so it's easy to see if a hood works or not if you have it, even without shooting test images.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.101 #10 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Martin, if you are not on LR4 yet, I would recommend that you at least try out the test version. Some things were changed for the better, including the processing in general and the clarity slider, which is now much less destructive.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.101 #11 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yes, definitely worth upgrading from LR3 to LR4.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.101 #12 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

carstenw wrote:
Martin, if you are not on LR4 yet, I would recommend that you at least try out the test version. Some things were changed for the better, including the processing in general and the clarity slider, which is now much less destructive.

If I understood it correctly, LR4 (and corresponding ACR versions) still have the same raw conversion motor, so I don't think I have anything to gain by upgrading. I hate LR and the auto-everything when it comes to managing my library. I prefer to do it myself and I use Adobe Bridge for managing and ACR for conversion.

Dec 24, 2012 at 01:18 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.101 #13 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Makten wrote:
If I understood it correctly, LR4 (and corresponding ACR versions) still have the same raw conversion motor, so I don't think I have anything to gain by upgrading. I hate LR and the auto-everything when it comes to managing my library. I prefer to do it myself and I use Adobe Bridge for managing and ACR for conversion.

LR4 has a totally different slider scheme and engine than LR3. Also, you don't have to use Lightroom's auto library. I've always maintained my own folder setups with Lightroom.

Dec 24, 2012 at 01:36 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.101 #14 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Ah thanks for the info...I was mistaking the da series for the older full frame lenses. I'm not familiar with Pentax!

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:39 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.101 #15 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

LR4/ACR has exposure, whites, highlights, shadows, and blacks sliders. Better at preserving highlight d etsil.

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:53 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.101 #16 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I have also set up an import action which stores my photos in a YY/MM fashion, with a rename action for the scheme I like. No need to use the LR defaults.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
teraflame
• •
p.101 #17 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I played with one at the sony store today. I'm still bewildered at their design decisions on not having a built in EVF, at least give us a flippy screen.

Dec 25, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Tobers

p.101 #18 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

I have found that focus is faster with the "centre" rather than "flexible spot" option. Also, face detection is spookily good and will nail focus on the eyes at f2 somehow.

Also I was playing about in the kitchen and pointed the camera at the black & white tiles on the floor. They should make an excellent contrast detection target, but in flexible spot mode if the dividing line between a black and a white tile was horizontal across the focus point, the camera struggled, but if vertical or diagonal it focused straight away. Curious.

I was taking some pics of the kids today and my daughter turned tables and took this one of me. Super image quality from this little camera.

Christmas by Tobers, on Flickr

And here's the 1-1 of the same shot, which was 1/80th f/2 ISO 200 with an umbrella on the right of the camera triggered by a pocket wizard on the RX1. The camera was in face detection mode and centre focus point.

1-1 crop by Tobers, on Flickr

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:33 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.101 #19 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Yes, it is very sharp with contrast wide open and great for portraits with smooth bokeh and slow focus rolloff.
Yeah, I need to get a PW for this camera and one for my D800E. I have one for my Canon. Wish they made a universal PW to work with all camera's and flashes.

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.101 #20 · Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

Merry Christmas to me!!

Dec 25, 2012 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password