Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Working on my post-processing

weissj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Working on my post-processing

Hi all,

I've been a bit absent lately due to a move and some other commitments along the way. Nevertheless, I've been shooting all the while. This is a shot of some flowers I captured in Oregon. The original seemed ripe for some post-processing in the vein of Diane Varner, someone I admire greatly. As always, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:48 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Working on my post-processing

is this the OOC original? If not, can you provide one?
From a processing point of view, the first thing that I notice is lack of detail in the petals. I'd want to see what can be recovered there.
I need to look up Diane Varner to get a sense of the style you are emulating.

Scott

Sep 09, 2012 at 01:57 AM
weissj
• • •
p.1 #3 · Working on my post-processing

Thanks for taking a look, Scott. Here's the original. I'm curious to see what you're able to pull out of it. If you don't mind, would you share whatever technique you use? Thanks!

Sep 09, 2012 at 05:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Working on my post-processing

Like Scott ... not familiar with the styling.

Working from the original ... the red channel seems blown, so I pulled it back via sat @ darken, using the color slider to adjust the effected range of color. Also, some blue/cyan adjustment. This doesn't do much for the "styling" ... but it does try to normalize things a touch, so that you can THEN apply your styling of choice.

I tried to drive more detail in the petals, but didn't come up with much. There seems to be a little bit there in the green channel, but I've forgotten how to effectively use channels (been too long ago, and I learned too little). Maybe someone else can pick up the baton (although for your image goals, it likely isn't necessary.)

Maybe you could tell us a bit more @ styling characteristic/goals.

Taking a look at her gallery, it looks like a combination of "Blur & Boost" to generate a more colorful, glowy effect, working from sooc/uncorrected ... kinda the opposite of color correction goals. Rather than fix or balance it ... push whatever comes sooc for creativity, or alter the WB for mood. From that ... my feeble attempts, which make yours appear more like hers by way of comparison.

Sep 09, 2012 at 12:58 PM
scottiedds

p.1 #5 · Working on my post-processing

I really like your post processing, can you show me how you post process something like this ?

Sep 11, 2012 at 03:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #6 · Working on my post-processing

weissj wrote:
Hi all,

I've been a bit absent lately due to a move and some other commitments along the way. Nevertheless, I've been shooting all the while. This is a shot of some flowers I captured in Oregon...

I like your first take on this. If you can extract just a little more detail in the flowers I'd call it good.

Sep 12, 2012 at 07:37 AM
crabcakes
• •
p.1 #7 · Working on my post-processing

Rustybug, I too love your post on weissj's photo! I actually liked the original but once I saw your rendition - wow! Could you share what you did please? Thanks!

Sep 20, 2012 at 05:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Working on my post-processing

Thanks, it was a new challenge for me to work on.

Which version are you referring to ... the "normalized" one or the "Blur & Boost" one?

Essentially, I try to assess the lighting / cast in a pic and neutralize the WB in the highlights first via Color Balance (PS), then do the same for the shadows. I rarely touch the midtones, as the overlap from from highlights and shadows will likely "split the difference" when there is a different cast between the two (often in ambient).

If I can't get them to balance to neutral via color balance first, then I'll move into saturation / hue to work on the specific color that remains as a cast. I always start with striving to understand the light that is involved and how/why/where I am contending with non-neutral color cast. I find that the removal of color cast is the most important aspect of generating clarity (vs. cranking up the clarity slider, etc.) ... assuming that's part of one's goals for an image.

Then, after I get my cast removal neutralized (verified by temporarily cranking sat to 50%-100%), I'll move to playing with gamma (exposure) to see how much gamma I want for the scene, or which area I want the most gamma in. Then, I'll paint in tonal masks to control lesser amounts of gamma.

Because sharpness is an issue of contrast, I don't sharpen until after I have worked through my other layers / issues first. I sharpen on a duplicate layer so I can (first and foremost) protect the original pixels, and adjust the opacity of the sharpening as well as mask various areas.

Also, when I sharpen, I do so with first a hiraloam (high radius, low amount) like many others do. Sometimes I'm inline with 16,60,0 like Karen, other times I may push to something like 25,70,4 or 40,40,12 ... varies with image and intent. This gets followed by another round of sharpening @ about 350,.4,4. This too can vary based on the scene and any previous processing.

I typically finish with my last layer being the brightness & contrast, where I'll need to pull down the contrast (after having pushed it in via exposure and sharpening) a touch. Working in layers allows me to "dial in" the gamma (levels, curves, etc.), sharpening & contrast via opacity & masks once I've "roughed" them in ... since they all are about pushing/pulling the pixels closer/farther from each other from their original linear capture. A tweak in one effects the others, so it is iterative in nature for me.

As to the second one, I've forgotten the details on it, except that I remember I flattened the image after I got my "corrections" finished, so I could make a duplicate layer to throw some Gaussian Blur at. Then I went to a saturation layer and added some boost to sat, as well as some lightening.

I wish I better remembered the details for the second one, but I subscribe to the concepts from Dan Margulis @ color cast correction being integral to normalizing the image (or rendering plausible) ... after which (imo), you are now liberated to apply your creativity license more freely. I believe that far too many people who throw "creativity" at their images are doing so to cover up the fact that they don't color correct first. Color theory isn't always the easiest thing, but ... even if I know I'm taking an image into B&W ... I still always color correct first ... that's how much I believe it effects the clarity of an image.

Many people "ooh & ahh" over creativity, but I find that color casts are detractors to otherwise fine workmanship that should be contended with first. I'm not dismissing such creativity because I can "ooh & ahh" over it too. But I find that the most powerful creativity comes after contending with the detractors that often times get amplified by the creative process, which steals from the power of the creation.

I'm sure that my ways are rather arcane in today's world of infinite canned processes & presets, etc. For me, every image is an assessment of where it came from vs. where do I want to take it ... followed my "hmmm, which tools can I use to achieve this". I process, much like I cook ... no recipe but I always tenderize my meat first (color correct), THEN I open the spice cabinet start to decide which flavors I want to play with (gamma painting, sharpening, etc.), then I let it marinate (harmonize layers).

HTH

As always S&P to taste.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Working on my post-processing

Interesting read Rusty. I know the comments weren't for me, but I learned something from them. - Paul

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Working on my post-processing

pinball_pw wrote:
I know the comments weren't for me

Oh, but they were ...

Actually, I do try (key word here is try) to write from the perspective that a variety of people will be reading. Too bad I can't figure out how to do it more succinctly.

Sep 23, 2012 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password