Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       end

Archive 2012 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

rill

Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I just got off the phone with Adam at skgrimes and said no big deal, cost about $50 to remove the hood, cut the petals off and replace hood. Needless to say, my lens will be on the way to Rhode Island very soon!!!

Bill

May 06, 2013 at 01:57 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Wow, that is insanely reasonable. But one has to weigh that against a probably voided warranty and the need to figure out a hood solution. (I realize that this is a personal decision as some people might find those things important, while others may not.) On the flip side you can use a plethora of filter solutions.

I think we all would probably agree that even if Zeiss provides a factory mod for lenses already in the wild, it won't be cheap. But you probably get to keep the warranty and they'll have some removable hood solution (another assumption.)

-Tim

May 06, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Ormy

p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Hello guys,

There is just one filter I know for ZEISS DISTAGON T 15mm , check it out in the link below!
http://lucroit.com/SHOP/category.php?id_category=15

Hope it helps

May 07, 2013 at 02:25 AM
rill

p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I have been looking at the Lucroit system for a while now for my Nikon 14-24. I really like how simple the mounting system is. Unfortunately, it seems to only take the 165mm/6.5" x200mm/8" filters from Hitech/Formatt, which are even larger than the Lee SW150 filters.

Does anyone have any experience with their filters? I haven't really heard a lot of positive comments...

I was really looking for a smaller solution i.e. holding a flat filter up to the lens, either with a cpl screwed on, or not.

May 07, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Ormy

p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I use Lucroit system for my Sigma 8-16 and I am so happy with the quality of the filters (Hitech) as well with the designed of the holder.

Still people don't know Hitech Filters has improved a lot, I see amazig shots taken with Lucroit and filters Hitech. (not really mine, but I am woriking on it . You can see in the links below.
click here

Sometimes from reviews you get useful information, I'll drop here some reviews I read before I decided to get mine.
first review, for Sigma 8-16
second review

This is what I found for the Zeiss Distagon T 15mm

What I've heard is IR filter ND 10 Pro Stop gives better results than Lee Big Stopper, you see the dominants in this pic. I think this will clear any doubts..
this pic

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 09:19 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 09:31 PM
rill

p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Those are beautiful photographs...

May 08, 2013 at 08:58 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

From yesterday...cropped slightly.

Canon 5D Mark II
Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 ZE
.8s @ f/11 (ISO 100)
CP or CP/ND.6 (can't remember...)

http://www.devine.us/img/s9/v88/p1595400944-5.jpg

-Tim

May 12, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Yesterday I talked to some Zeiss guys at a local photography exhibition / trade fair about the removal of the hood / sunshade of the 15mm.

He told me that they are at the final step of the design validation process. At the moment they are testing the modified construction in climatic tests and assume to be ready for production (if nothing fails in these tests) in about 6 weeks.

They don't cut off the hood, instead they have designed a completely new front housing without a hood that can be exchanged against the current one. They plan to offer both, a modification of already sold lenses and selling new modified lenses. He gave no information about the price (although I tried hard).

I also had the chance to briefly test the new 1.4/55mm lens. The construction looked pretty nice and the sample images (prints shot at f/1.4)) they had there were really impressive.
It was interessing to see that this lens had a 77mm filter thread and an apperture ring (Nikon version), while other prototypes of this lens had a 82mm filter thread an no apperture ring.

Boris

May 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM
rill

p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

That is interesting... it seems to me that, other than creating a removable lens hood like all their other lenses, the only thing to do is remove the petals... The Zeiss guy I talked to said the front of the lens has to be a hardened material to have a removable lens hood (the shiny part on all their other lenses).

My 15 should arrive at SKGrimes today, although Adam said they are backlogged by a couple of weeks...

May 13, 2013 at 07:56 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

rill wrote:
That is interesting... it seems to me that, other than creating a removable lens hood like all their other lenses, the only thing to do is remove the petals... The Zeiss guy I talked to said the front of the lens has to be a hardened material to have a removable lens hood (the shiny part on all their other lenses).

My 15 should arrive at SKGrimes today, although Adam said they are backlogged by a couple of weeks...

Adam and SK Grimes is pretty much are always backlogged, but they do excellent work. I have used their services on and off for years even from the time that Steve was still alive.

Rich

May 13, 2013 at 09:10 AM
samfowler
• •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I will be going to Iceland here soon and my wide angle I will be taking is the Zeiss 20 2.8 Flektogon to get some wide shots. I will be there for two weeks. Now I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should rent the Zeiss 15 mm for my full frame 6D. I dont think there is much difference in 15 to 20mm. But I wanted some viewpoints on this difference. Should I or shouldn't I rent the 15 since I have a 20mm. I guess the 15mm could be rented for about 250$ for two weeks. I am just not really sure if it would be worth the rental or not. I would appreciate input.

Thanks

May 19, 2013 at 02:05 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Going from 20mm to 15mm is a much, much larger difference than you might think.

This is a nifty little tool to compare..

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

I have a Zeiss 21mm ZE and it's a great all around landscape lens. Love my 15mm too, but it is so wide that it doesn't lend itself to as many situations as the 21. At least in my experience.

I would take both.

-Tim

May 19, 2013 at 02:08 PM
samfowler
• •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Thanks Tim - I see now there really is a big difference between them.

May 19, 2013 at 02:56 PM
dreamplayer
• •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Why you guys want to remove the hood?

Lucroit system has a solution to use GND and ND filters.

Even though the hood is removed, you probably get a terrible vignette when using 100mm filter system.

May 19, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Meanfish75

p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

I'm definitely interested in the modded version of the lens as well. I've been looking at the Zeiss 15 for a while, but the lens hood deal has kept me from pulling the trigger. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

May 19, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Bobu wrote:
I also had the chance to briefly test the new 1.4/55mm lens. The construction looked pretty nice and the sample images (prints shot at f/1.4)) they had there were really impressive.
It was interessing to see that this lens had a 77mm filter thread and an apperture ring (Nikon version), while other prototypes of this lens had a 82mm filter thread an no apperture ring.

Did you get an idea about the approximate weight of this lens?

May 20, 2013 at 04:22 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Toothwalker wrote:
Did you get an idea about the approximate weight of this lens?

Not exactly, but size and weight felt similar to the Zeiss 1.4/35.

Boris

May 20, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Bobu wrote:
Not exactly, but size and weight felt similar to the Zeiss 1.4/35.

Thanks. Internet rumor has it that it is 1.2 kg, which would be no fun in the shoulder bag.

May 20, 2013 at 05:36 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

It is meant to be about the size of the 24-70s.

May 20, 2013 at 05:20 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Zeiss 15mm support group?

Looking at all the heavy Zeiss FF lenses of recent years, they centre around the 900-1100 gram range. Start a program of arm curls now, to avoid disappointment. Actually the philoposhy seems to be 'if you want great, you get heavy'. Fair enough.

May 20, 2013 at 05:48 PM
       12       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

12       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.