Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

Archive 2012 · My intro to Canon...
  
 
bsaber
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · My intro to Canon...


I've dealt with Keh once and they were great. I say just let them swap it and continue on your merry way.


Sep 09, 2012 at 12:08 AM
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · My intro to Canon...


n0b0 wrote:
Considering most of the stuff in the camera is electronics, I sure hope so.

Anyway, this is why I usually advise against buying used, especially if it's also old. With electronic equipments, there's always a chance of it to suddenly die without warning. The older it is the greater the chance, and if your luck isn't so good...

I would've waited for the extra 6 months and just get a brand new 5D3 instead. Because now you still end up waiting anyway.

BTW, Win8 Metro is crap.


My original thread went through my reasoning. I'm thinking that the depreciation on the MKIII will far outpace a used 5D over 6 months. I can learn some about Canon during that time and not have to layout $6K today and in the end wind up with a MKIII and a backup body for just a few hundred more than the MKIII today. I'm guessing I'll have the replacement by next weekend, so only a few days delay.

My reasoning my be flawed, but time will tell. Part of the reason I chose KEH was the 6 month warranty - very generous if you ask me. Many of the other big retailers offer 90 days and Ebay? Well, 0 there in the majority of cases. I never buy the extended warranty on electronics, but in this case I really did through KEH because I may, with patience, have won a bid for a little less for a camera in similar condition. However, knowing these things can happen, I paid the extra for piece of mind.

My used 24-105 f4 L from KEH? Immaculate. I really can't believe it is used. It is the one I used for the only pics I got from the 5D. I honestly anticipate zero problems there. Great value as far as I'm concerned. Time will tell on that one too though I guess.

I am still very excited about the 5D. Although a little "antiquated", it is still a fine camera that does all I need it to do.

As another poster or two offered, these things happen. It doesn't make me happy, but I'll get over it. No hard feelings for Canon. And I know folks today that are still using a 5+ year old 5D very happily, so I'm guessing most will last. If not, then I made the wrong call.

As for Win8 Metro? You hit the nail on the head there. May it die a quick death.



Sep 09, 2012 at 12:22 AM
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · My intro to Canon...


bsaber wrote:
I've dealt with Keh once and they were great. I say just let them swap it and continue on your merry way.


Great advice and done.

I am an independent consultant, so in ways I am a small business man. In today's economy, I feel for those folks and want to err on the side of fairness to them. However, again, KEH has honored their warranty faithfully here and I appreciate that. I'm sure it will cost them something (maybe not much) to send that camera back to Canon, but they are willing to eat the cost to make a customer happy. Today, it is fairly rare, in my experiences, to see that kind of customer service.

Even though the failure wasn't my fault, I believe - everything was followed exactly to Canon's directions and things, per their directions, worked exactly right - yet I was still doing the update, not KEH. Yet they still stood by their warranty. Kudos to them. I appreciate that.

One of these days, I'm going to surprise the folks here with a poor entry in one of the contests. But it will be taken with a very nice 5D with a smile on my face.



Sep 09, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Ernie Aubert
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · My intro to Canon...


370, yellow cards, TSO, JCL... you guys are talking my language. But when I started, it was a green card, there was no such thing as a microcomputer, floppy disks hadn't been invented yet, keypunches and sorters were still being used - in fact, 370 was still in the future. IEBGENER & IEBUPDTE anyone?


Sep 09, 2012 at 02:24 AM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · My intro to Canon...


AgeOfEmpires wrote:
My original thread went through my reasoning. I'm thinking that the depreciation on the MKIII will far outpace a used 5D over 6 months. I can learn some about Canon during that time and not have to layout $6K today and in the end wind up with a MKIII and a backup body for just a few hundred more than the MKIII today. I'm guessing I'll have the replacement by next weekend, so only a few days delay.

My reasoning my be flawed, but time will tell. Part of the reason I chose KEH was the 6 month warranty - very
...Show more

Well, I have to say from your earlier post about opting out of a replacement, and now saying no hard feelings to Canon, I'd say you're more patient than some people here.

Your reasoning is quite logical, and I suppose it goes without saying since IT guys are usually quite logical. I'm also looking for a suitable full frame camera but since I'm quite adverse to buying 2nd hand, I'm waiting for Photokina to see if the rumour about entry level FF camera is true, though I'm not getting my hopes up. Otherwise I'll look into the newer 5D2 and hopefully I can still get a brand new one or at least a used one in mint condition and still under warranty. I'm not really worried about the AF since my 7D is adequate for whatever little action and wildlife craving I might have.

Lens is a different matter. I have no qualm about buying 2nd hand. They're mostly mechanical and most likely outlast camera bodies.

AOE rules, though I prefer Total War.



Sep 09, 2012 at 02:48 AM
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · My intro to Canon...


Ernie Aubert wrote:
370, yellow cards, TSO, JCL... you guys are talking my language. But when I started, it was a green card, there was no such thing as a microcomputer, floppy disks hadn't been invented yet, keypunches and sorters were still being used - in fact, 370 was still in the future. IEBGENER & IEBUPDTE anyone?


I think I recall the green card, but maybe just vaguely. Punch cards? Absolutely remember those. And REXX? What a beauty.



Sep 09, 2012 at 03:06 AM
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · My intro to Canon...


n0b0 wrote:
Well, I have to say from your earlier post about opting out of a replacement, and now saying no hard feelings to Canon, I'd say you're more patient than some people here.

Your reasoning is quite logical, and I suppose it goes without saying since IT guys are usually quite logical. I'm also looking for a suitable full frame camera but since I'm quite adverse to buying 2nd hand, I'm waiting for Photokina to see if the rumour about entry level FF camera is true, though I'm not getting my hopes up. Otherwise I'll look into the newer 5D2
...Show more

If I didn't have my eye on a MKIII, I'd more than likely have went for a new MKII instead of a used 5Dc, although I would have had to forgo one of the lenses for the next couple of months. Much prefer the "pay as you go" route vs. debt.

For me, patience is a learned skill. And it hasn't been an easy road.

Never played Total War, but AOE is my favorite video game on the PC by far. Spent many a sleepless night playing in my younger days. Now I can hardly stay up past 10pm, plus I'm not sure if there is a host for AOE anymore. Been a very, very long time since I played.

The 7D is certainly a compelling package, but not one I really considered since I have a Nikon D90. The D90 works fine for me and I wanted to add a FF.




Sep 09, 2012 at 03:18 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · My intro to Canon...


Ernie Aubert wrote:
370, yellow cards, TSO, JCL... you guys are talking my language. But when I started, it was a green card, there was no such thing as a microcomputer, floppy disks hadn't been invented yet, keypunches and sorters were still being used - in fact, 370 was still in the future. IEBGENER & IEBUPDTE anyone?


Ernie you are being evil, early mvs utilities should not be spoken of and if you mention even one of that "C...." languages divisions I may have to hunt you down and punch card you into submission, unless you dropped an unnumbered box



Sep 09, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Ernie Aubert
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · My intro to Canon...


Hey, C---L was my bread and butter; and it got me the pension I'm living on now! I'd forgotten about REXX - didn't use it much; it was pretty cool, but like CLISTs, interpretive, so too slow to be used for the serious stuff. Micro Focus was really cool: I could do more in a week than I'd been able to do in a couple months back in the day.


Sep 09, 2012 at 12:17 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · My intro to Canon...


Ernie Aubert wrote:
Hey, C---L was my bread and butter; and it got me the pension I'm living on now! I'd forgotten about REXX - didn't use it much; it was pretty cool, but like CLISTs, interpretive, so too slow to be used for the serious stuff. Micro Focus was really cool: I could do more in a week than I'd been able to do in a couple months back in the day.


MFC was cool, there's a PC version on a 386 or 486 running OS/2 in my garage, late 80s had the pleasure of doing some proof-of-concept studies using early PC versions of MFC, FOCUS, REXX and C to test the viability of using PC based systems to develop for the big iron. "C" was for more network and early Windows v3 interfaces to PROFS, had loads of fun working within VM those days...that sure was long ago...perhaps I'll post a poll question, see how many shooters here on FM are coders



Sep 09, 2012 at 03:51 PM
AgeOfEmpires
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · My intro to Canon...


OS/2? Cool. I subscribed to "Computer Language" magazine for many, many years. In there, I remember seeing an ad touting the inital OS/2 as an o/s written by Microsoft and IBM. Don't recall what went awry in that partnership, but as far as I'm concerned, I think I'd rather OS/2 have won the battle.


Sep 09, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · My intro to Canon...


n0b0 wrote:
Considering most of the stuff in the camera is electronics, I sure hope so.

Anyway, this is why I usually advise against buying used, especially if it's also old. With electronic equipments, there's always a chance of it to suddenly die without warning. The older it is the greater the chance, and if your luck isn't so good...

I would've waited for the extra 6 months and just get a brand new 5D3 instead. Because now you still end up waiting anyway.

BTW, Win8 Metro is crap.


I disagree. Electronic components tend to fail quickly, if they are going to fail. Provided no jarring impacts, bending of contacts, or moisture issues, the camera's moving parts will all fail more quickly. Hence, older models tend to suffer from fatigue and breaking in shutters and mirror assemblies. Alignment issues are also in the "mechanical" wear category.



Sep 09, 2012 at 05:25 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · My intro to Canon...


AgeOfEmpires wrote:
OS/2? Cool. I subscribed to "Computer Language" magazine for many, many years. In there, I remember seeing an ad touting the inital OS/2 as an o/s written by Microsoft and IBM. Don't recall what went awry in that partnership, but as far as I'm concerned, I think I'd rather OS/2 have won the battle.


When OS/2 was in our shop Win3 was just being implemented, c++ and Smalltalk were the new rage, along with some other early OO languages. Microsoft out priced IBM, even tho OS/2 was the beefier, more stable, so Win desktops it was; and c++ won out. I must stop this public geekfest as this is a photography forum, I'll PM you folks
Jerry



Sep 09, 2012 at 06:02 PM
1      
2
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password