Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

Gene Schilling
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

I'll be shooting a wedding solo in a couple of weeks for a friend, and the happy couple will be getting married in a tiny chapel that seats about 30 people. Very cute and intimate, but it has my head spinning as far as how I should shoot it the ceremony. How to get maximum coverage without being a huge distraction? No hiding in the wings with my 70-200, and no ducking across the back of a big church to get different angles. If I head to the front of the chapel to get some shots of the couple with guests in behind them, I'm basically taking the "stage" with them and could be a huge distraction for everyone. I've thought of staying in the back the whole time with either a remote camera with pocketwizard up front or even a GoPro mounted to podium for something a little different. I'll be shooting with two bodies 5D2 and 5D3, plus the three L zooms 16-35, 24-70, 70-200. I'm open to renting other gear if need be.

Anyone have a similar experience that they can share some tidbits?

Thanks so much.

Gene

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:01 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

If the place is that small, I'd be all up in there with the 16-35. Or, in my case it would be my 24L since I don't have a 16-35.

Personally, I hate super tight ceremony photos... super tight photos, in general... except for portraits. It's a wedding, show that a wedding was happening.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

Wide is your friend here. Don't focus on too many long focal lengths or over shooting. It's intimate. That's the perfect time to practice shot discipline. It sounds like you only need the 16-35 & 24-70 IMO. The latter half of your post tells me you're over-thinking. Relax and enjoy the wedding. Capture the important moments and you'll be fine. If its as small as you describe, I'd be shocked if you need the 70-200. I shot a super small chapel like this a year or so ago and I'm pretty sure I only used my 24 & 50. Just sayin'.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:13 PM
jasonhupe
• •
p.1 #4 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

Im with Inku, some small churches here I start upfront, wide, move to the back for a wider frame of the alter.
I usually end up in the center isle, crouching, right next to the Brides Parents getting the kiss and rings. I spend lots of time between the guests and couple as well. I make sure my moves are planned, quick, and deliberate. I worry some times about someone thinking Im causing a spectacle but I am very respectful of guests. In the end my clients images are the most important to me and not what guests thinks.
Also noticed that you are shooting for a friend so they should even be more forgiving for what you need to do to do the job.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

That's nothing. I shot a ceremony in a room probably 10x10' and the entire thing was shot with the 14-24 with a couple shots tighter of 24-70.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Gene Schilling
• •
p.1 #6 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

Some great advice here, thanks so much.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:44 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #7 · Strategy for some cramped quarters

Wide lens and relax. I shot a small church ceremony last month in a chapel that couldn't have been more than twenty or so feet wide on the inside. Used the 35, as I always do.

Sep 10, 2012 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password