Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · MA entry, local food

earthallen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MA entry, local food

I just shot and edited this, was an appetizer tonight at our home.

I'd like to enter it in the MA this month, but would like to get some input. I'm not sure of colors or saturation, also curious to see how it will compress.

Please share your thoughts. If compression is bad, please let me know how I can post somewhere free of charge and not have massive compression problems.

Thank you,
Dana

D90 SB400, RAW 50 1.4@1.8 Full manual. Edited in PS (I'm new at this too).

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/539339_459178784105200_1201520254_n.jpg

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:25 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MA entry, local food

Compression isn't a problem. Composition is a problem - it's rather static with the interest nexus along the horizontal centerline and also centered left and right. I'd also suggest converting from c2 color space to sRGB to allow it to render consistently on more displays. A wee bit more blue in the highlights might also help separate the cheese from the plate. A bit more DOF and additional sharpness would also help.

BTW, when posting to this forum, we suggest a longest side pixel count of 800-1000 or so - perhaps a max of 700-900 pixels if it's longest side is the vertical.

Sep 07, 2012 at 04:30 AM
earthallen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MA entry, local food

AuntiP,

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm still quite new at this whole photography thing, and I love getting tips and advice from more experienced artists.

The image size I chose was based on the size limits for the Monthly Assignment.
This months assignment is "RED" I wasn't sure of how to position the plate to get a good view of the red tomato without having a side view like this, I was thinking about a shot from above, but don't have a ring light to get good light on it if I am directly above.

If anyone has thoughts on a pleasing angle I'm open to suggestions. I already ate this plate, so I will have to get more to try again, it's a rough job working with food.

I'll see about DOF and sharpness via tripod etc.

Thanks

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MA entry, local food

You don't need to shoot from overhead to raise the angle, just stand higher. Walk around the table. Shoot or at least carefully see from many positions and angles. Some will speak better than others. When you find a position, set-up to work on the details of capturing the image.

For the topic "red", I'd suggest finding a very ripe tomato and work the image to be mostly about the redness of the tomato.

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:25 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MA entry, local food

I need all the vegetables to be in focus for this to work.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:01 PM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MA entry, local food

Specifically relating to the MA, the red doesn't draw my eye in anymore than the cheese or basil does. If there was one slice of tomato amongst everything, perhaps.

+1 on what ben said regarding focus.

Good luck in the contest. I'm still trying to figure out a shot I might want to submit.

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password