Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

Anyone have any thoughts on the question of whether or not there is a relationship between overall client satisfaction with a photo vendor and how long after the event it takes for the client to view the full set of images?

Sep 06, 2012 at 05:50 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

Yes - it is directly related to what expectations the photo vendor has communicated. Deliver on the expectations and everything is fine. Don't deliver, or don't communicate and expect dissatisfaction.

- trr

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:06 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

I think Todd ended this thread.

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

+1 on expectations and communication up front. I list mine in my agreement and discuss them right up front during my first meeting with the client. Then, I "refresh" the set expectations as the date approaches. Unless I am totally swamped, I beat the deadline, which in my case has adequate margin built in that I usually don't require. So, for example, set an expectation of 4-6 weeks, deliver in 2-3 weeks, and you'll have satisfied customers (all other things being equal re: quality of service and product).

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

TRReichman wrote:
Don't deliver, or don't communicate and expect dissatisfaction.

Well, say you don't communicate an expected time of delivery ...
For anyone who's been in this business for some years: Do you think general client sentiment as to what's "reasonable" for delivery time has changed over the years?

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:20 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

D. Diggler wrote:
Well, say you don't communicate an expected time of delivery ...
For anyone who's been in this business for some years: Do you think general client sentiment as to what's "reasonable" for delivery time has changed over the years?

Depends on how they have learned about photography. Some people can turn stuff around in the week after the wedding, some people take a month or more. I have no idea what the "common" expectation is.

- trr

Sep 06, 2012 at 06:46 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

Who doesn't communicate a delivery timeline? I thought that was a given? Not only is it part of the last discussion I have with them at the wedding; it is also part of my immediate follow up email sent when I return home the same night.

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:27 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

D. Diggler wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on the question of whether or not there is a relationship between overall client satisfaction with a photo vendor and how long after the event it takes for the client to view the full set of images?

There was a thread a while back about how quickly final edits are delivered and the client's perceived value based on how long it takes. i.e., delivering a full set too fast and the client might feel like not much work was done by the photographer and they therefore overpaid. I believe some people here even said that if they finish editing to set too quickly they may delay sending the bride the finished photos until the photographers perceived "optimal" time to deliver them.

Is that what you're getting at or did Todd sum it up?

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:37 PM
dlateulade

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

I've wondered about this, but backwards. My SOP is to shoot on Saturday, edit on Sunday (I can edit a full wedding in 3 hours or so), and deliver on Monday.

I've had several weddings where I've held off on delivering, just because I feel like turnaround that fast might lead someone to believe I'm doing something really half assed.

Sep 06, 2012 at 07:53 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

I guarantee deliver in three weeks but end up always delivering within two weeks. Never faster than a week. Clients are always satisfied and never express concern that I rushed through their wedding. Truth is, I have to stay on top of editing since I keep a wedding a week average through the summer or I'll fall way behind, and I tell them this as the reason behind why I deliver their images quickly. Of course albums take more time.

It's crazy when I go over this in consultation how many couples know of someone or more than one couple who waited 6 months, a year or even longer for their photos. That's nuts.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

Alan wrote:
Who doesn't communicate a delivery timeline? I thought that was a given?

Come on, Alan; if there's one thing you should have learned from this forum, it's that nothing about how photographers conduct business -- not even common sense -- is a given.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

mccallmedia wrote:
It's crazy when I go over this in consultation how many couples know of someone or more than one couple who waited 6 months, a year or even longer for their photos.

A few years back, I heard that four or even five months is not uncommon.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:08 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

dlateulade wrote:
I can edit a full wedding in 3 hours or so

If that's the case, you're overpaid.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

amonline wrote:
I think Todd ended this thread.

+1

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:21 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

D. Diggler wrote:

So if it only took Picasso 3 hours to produce a painting, does that make the value of the end product any less than if it had taken him 3 days?

That's just silly. The clients aren't paying for your hourly work, they're paying for your art. As long as the finished product has met or exceeded the value of money paid, it really doesn't matter how much time or effort it took to create it. If the worth of our work was proportional to how long it took us to edit it, the crappiest photographers would be the highest paid.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:30 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

Ian Ivey wrote:
Alan wrote:

Come on, Alan; if there's one thing you should have learned from this forum, it's that nothing about how photographers conduct business -- not even common sense -- is a given.

I didn't say I don't communicate a timeframe. I do! My point here is I'm trying to see if changing my current timeframe will increase client satisfaction. When I told Alan, "say you don't communicate a timeframe", I meant, "in the hypothetical situation that the photographer did not communicate a timeframe". In that hypothetical situation, at what point does the typical client start thinking, "it seems like it's taking forever to get my pictures".

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:32 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

ckhagen wrote:
So if it only took Picasso 3 hours to produce a painting, does that make the value of the end product any less than if it had taken him 3 days?

Yeah, but 1,000-5,000 paintings? OK, I get that a painting takes more work than a photograph (or does it), but I do have doubts that a 3 day turn-around really does the work justice, unless your style (and what your client wants) really requires very little artistic interpretation -- i.e., it's shot like someone submitting a couple of thousand photos to a newspaper on a break-neck deadline.

I think it might also help if you have a "settled" or established post-processing style, and it works for most/all situations you shoot (different lighting, locale, etc.). Even so, the perception of value vs. work done can be an issue with a fast turn-around. Personally, I like my photos to sit a few days before I even cull them. About 5 days. It helps me be more objective and less blinded by in-the-moment exhuberance. I would very much like to get home, and spend the rest of the night, from midnight to noon the next day plowing through, but I resist the impulse because I don't think I would deliver the same quality if I did that.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

D. Diggler wrote:
I didn't say I don't communicate a timeframe. I do!

Oh, I absolutely wasn't talking about you, mate -- sorry. I actually had the impression that you did communicate a timeline. My snark was generalized across the forum over time.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:54 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

D. Diggler wrote:

BS. As Candice said...the value in what we do its (hopefully) not in the number of hours we are working but in the product we are delivering. If you can shoot and edit in a way that produces a product that pleases both yourself and your client and it only takes you 3 hours, then godspeed to you. I think that is awesome and I wish that I was that fast.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:56 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Delivery time vs. client satisfaction

Well but then you would have to say that the more "photoshop" done to an image, the more valuable it is, which just simply isn't true. Sure a client who (understandably) doesn't know much about what goes into making a good photograph may be under the impression that it takes a long time, but that doesn't make it a reality. Making it seem like it took a longer time than it actually did might buy you a value adjustment for a period, but moving forward in this market, clients are going to figure out that it doesn't really take that long if you know what you're doing. I don't turn things around in one week, ever. But it doesn't have anything to do with how long it takes me to adjust the white balance in my images, it has everything to do with the phone calls, emails, album changes, FM posting, snack eating, playlist making, and facebooking we do.

Sep 06, 2012 at 08:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password