Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Short story, with a twist!

KibblesNbitz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Short story, with a twist!

About a year and a half back I was walking along a path in a waterfront park testing out my new Fuji X100 and I decided to stop and take a break on a bench. A guy walking by noticed my camera and asked me about it, and since he didn't know anything about the new X100, I told him all about it. He asked me how much it was and when I said $1200, he was very impressed and said I must take photography very seriously to spend so much money on photography. I told him that I did, and that I treated it as a serious hobby and had been doing it for a few years and told him about my pro Nikon equipment etc.. He then mentioned he was a professional wedding photographer, and how he shot with a D300s and 17-55, 70-200 etc. and asked me if I wanted to work for him as a second shooter, and offered to pay me $12 an hour.

Now, at the time I was only treating photography as a serious hobby, although I thought I might get into doing it professionally in the near future. I told him I would consider it, and he gave me his contact info and that was that. He contacted me a few days later and asked if I wanted to do a wedding with him, starting as an assistant first and grabbing a few shots and then working my way up to being a second shooter.

At the time I was busy with my full time job, I was considering going into it professionally soon and didn't want to step on his toes, and something just seemed a little off/shady, so I declined. Not to mention I made more money doing my regular job and could always pick up extra hours versus lugging a camera bag around for somebody.

Flash forward a couple months, and I began to seriously look into and consider doing professional wedding photography. I was kicking myself for not taking him up on the opportunity to build a portfolio, although I doubt I would have been able to use the images for a portfolio anyways.

Nevertheless, I went at it myself, got my own wedding and engagement shoots, and built my portfolio over the past year. I don't claim to be in a great position now, but I'm content with what I've built and done so far and think I'm going to do okay in the future.

So today I was thinking about this whole story and decided to look up the guy's website and Facebook page to see how he's doing, see his latest work, etc....

Nope.

Turns out he skipped the state, and judging by the angry clients posting on his Facebook page, skipped to somewhere in Florida and is doing business under a new name. Meanwhile, multiple clients are complaining on his Facebook page how they cant get in touch with him, never got their albums, hell, according to one comment, one couple hasn't gotten their wedding pictures at all, and their wedding was almost three years ago. There was also somebody that posted who said they've been trying to contact him for 4 months to see if he will still be shooting their wedding this September, and when they didn't get a response they had to find another photographer, and they paid a deposit that they haven't been able to get back yet.

It never ceases to amaze me how often this type of thing happens, and there's really no excuse for it, it's almost as if people TRY to run a business as poorly as possible.

Well...glad I skipped that one

Edited on Sep 05, 2012 at 11:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:26 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Short story, with a twist!

Well if you did end up working with him you might have been able to give some of the clients some photos, now they have nothing...

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:48 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Short story, with a twist!

It sucks, but I'd rather not be associated with all that in any way what-so-ever...

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:54 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Short story, with a twist!

That is an unusual story....
and
I still cannot get over your FM handle... I seriously laugh every time

All I can think about is the Johny Wishbone scene in Beverly Hills Cop where Eddie Murphy is pretending to be the psychic. So good

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:26 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Short story, with a twist!

Dare I ask where in FL?
There's a few scammers around here...

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:32 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Short story, with a twist!

ckhagen wrote:
Dare I ask where in FL?
There's a few scammers around here...

I know a good scammer in Boston

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:43 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Short story, with a twist!

I may have just choked on my margarita.

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tobicus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Short story, with a twist!

Interesting story. And I'm still keen on picking up an X100 one of these days.

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:57 AM
whitewash

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Short story, with a twist!

That is a twist, different from what I anticipated. I was surprised to read he was a photographer. I thought the end of the story would be that he's a mugger who lures amateur togs to a secluded location loaded down with all the gear they own, then hits them over the head and makes off with their stuff.

I find it hard to imagine that any legitimate photographer would ever go trolling the park for a second shooter, and that his questions to the prospective second shooter would include the price of the prospect's camera.

Sep 09, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Stephaniespix
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Short story, with a twist!

Did his initials happen to be EV?

Maybe five (?) years ago, a photographer from DWF contacted me to lend him a flash, he was a Canon shooter and I shoot Nikon so no deal. Later he asked me if I wanted to shoot with him just to get experience and I went along. The guy turned up with a single older camera and a mid-range lens to shoot in a long dark church with of course, no flash photography allowed; my D3 was new and could handle high ISO. He positioned himself at the door of the church far from the ceremony and I lent him a monopod. When I noticed that he did not move from the doorway, I shot the wedding as my own. The bride's sister had been at school with my daughter and I shot extra family photos whenever I got a chance. I gave all the images (both raw and edited) to the photographer. Two years later, the bride contacted me though my daughter to say that she was suing the photographer as she got no images, no album but she had paid in full and the parents paid him for two additional hours on the wedding day.

A couple months later, another bride (I did three weddings with him) contacted me to say she got no images and could not contact the photographer.

When he had asked me to do an engagement shoot on the beach with him, I went along, but he showed up with no equipment, so I did the shoot. At the couple's wedding, I saw my images in large canvas for the first time. This wedding he promised to pay me $250 as a second shooter. I decided to sever ties with him after this wedding since he wanted to borrow my gear too, he said his equipment had been stolen.

I think he moved out of Florida, as the brides could not contact him either, maybe to your area?

Sep 09, 2012 at 05:16 PM
fabiocamandona
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Short story, with a twist!

Great story. I'm no one, seriously, but i remember 6 years ago, on holiday, with a 1 Mpixel HP camera, that tell to my wife (with my 34 years of age) : "i'd like to be a photographer" and she answer me "all the life you think that, let's try".

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:03 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Short story, with a twist!

Stephaniespix wrote:
Did his initials happen to be EV?

Maybe five (?) years ago, a photographer from DWF contacted me to lend him a flash, he was a Canon shooter and I shoot Nikon so no deal. Later he asked me if I wanted to shoot with him just to get experience and I went along. The guy turned up with a single older camera and a mid-range lens to shoot in a long dark church with of course, no flash photography allowed; my D3 was new and could handle high ISO. He positioned himself at the door of the church far from
...Show more

Whoa. I know someone else with nearly an identical story to yours. The photog was local to us although his initials aren't EV. The only difference was that he's a pretty good shooter and does have good gear. The rest of the story is pretty much the same. My friend who was the one seconding for him ended up turning over everything she had to at least three couples when they tracked her down while going after him. I shot one wedding with him right when I started out and got a really uneasy feeling about him so I never shot with him again.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:58 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Short story, with a twist!

Haha Doug I was thinking of PMing Fred to see if I can get my username changed to something more....professional

Initials are not EV...

Candice, supposedly the person is now operating in Fort Lauderdale, under a new business name. While I don't know how true that is, when I looked up the new business name, it was linked to the old website of the old business and mentions the person by name, so that claim appears to be true from what I can see.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Stephaniespix
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Short story, with a twist!

I am about half hour away from Ft. Lauderdale, could he be so bold to continue in this area, the three brides were either from Ft. Lauderdale or within an hour's drive.

Candice, I thought he was using me for images but I didn't mind at the time as I enjoy weddings and had none of my own to shoot. When he started borrowing my gear, I got out.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password