Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

ben egbert wrote:
Glad I posted this, even if it makes me out a bit of a redneck,

Hardly ... it makes you out to be a man of sincere conviction, yet studious and open to consideration of external thinking.

Not exactly what I'd associate with the term "redneck"

Sep 07, 2012 at 05:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

RustyBug wrote:
Hardly ... it makes you out to be a man of sincere conviction, yet studious and open to consideration of external thinking.

Not exactly what I'd associate with the term "redneck"

Maybe not redneck, maybe this might be a different analogy. In science there is a well known divide between applied and theoretical. When I worked as an engineer, even in an area that was mostly applied, I was very much in awe of the guys who could quote theory without looking in a book, or who could do difficult math in their heads. Had there been no calculators/computers I would have never made the grade.

I am pretty near the end of my photo days, at least 3/4, and in fact am getting to the point where it is harder to keep the interest. But as Sadja says, the last step is after you become a proficient technician, and I doubt I will make that step. I am not even sure I want to. You have to know yourself and be true to your nature.

Sep 07, 2012 at 07:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Applied is where the "rubber meets the road" ... the whole point of theory is to achieve applied.

In that regard, I think you are vastly selling yourself short ... either in search of a "holy grail" or in the shadow of a "myth".
A little something worth reading, noting the conclusion:
http://www.bythom.com/chasing.htm

Ansel Adams has shown us imagery that makes us want to come to where he's been ... message sent, message received.
Galen Rowell has shown us imagery that makes us want to come to where he's been ... message sent, message received.
& Ben Egbert has shown us imagery that makes us want to come to where he's been ... message sent, message received.

"What's the point?" "What's the message that you want to convey to your viewer?"
If it is "come see what I saw" ... and if you can't, here's the closest I can show you for now. I don't see the need to be bridled to live in the shadow of the myth ... yet, I do understand the desire to continuously refine, even if it is in homage to the fore-running legend as motivation to do so. But just because we never achieve perfection, and always have room to improve ... it does not denigrate that which we have attained.

We may marvel @ how he did what he did to capture the hearts of so many ... but he captured their heart because he sent the message in a way that they were so clearly able to receive it ... not because of how he created it, but because he created it as intentionally as he did to ensure that the message translated as well as it did.

I totally dig theory (ultra-geek patrol)... but largely to the point that it can translate (sooner or later) into applied. In fact, my love of theory is probably my greatest weakness (there, I said it ). But ... I also can say "Ah, screw it." and just go out button pushin' & spaghetti slingin' just to "see what sticks". Which one brings me more joy & satisfaction ... just depends.

Sep 07, 2012 at 08:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Ok, I will end my story here so I can start a new one inspired by it.

I feel like I can't take a great image on purpose. They all seem to be accidents. Hard for an ex engineer to deal with.

Sep 07, 2012 at 08:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

ben egbert wrote:
I feel like I can't take a great image on purpose.

Neither could AA (at every attempt) ... or else we would have THOUSANDS of great AA images.
He was quoted as being content with twelve a year as being a "good crop".

ben egbert wrote:
Hard for an ex engineer to deal with.

Gotcha ... control is good.
(Deming & Reliability Engineering over this way).

But ours is with many variables that we don't always have full control of ... so we "build in" latitude (good engineers do that to) to be able to contend with the range of variables we encounter in our operating environment such that we can still achieve our desired goals ... and learn ways to adopt & adapt.

HTH ... looking forward to the next chapter.

Edited on Sep 08, 2012 at 03:43 AM · View previous versions

Sep 07, 2012 at 08:51 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

I hated the business side of being a portrait photographer and frankly, making images solely to suit others wasn't at all personally satisfying. After going back to University and doing related work I ended up specifying, designing and developing complex software products for banking, retail and card processing industries. I currently provide high level support for a card processing system that processes in excess of a billion transactions a year. Any down time at all can cost millions. This work requires methodical logical analysis, managing great complexity, careful testing, rooting out obscure problems, and great attention to detail. Maybe that's why photography for me has to be about feelings and intuition. I need need the break.

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

I am with you Aunti. Taking the picture is technical, but finding something and composing it is something I want to do more by intuition.

Sep 07, 2012 at 10:28 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

I am, BTW, quite fond of the work of HCB, and many other great photographers and artists who work with photographic images. HCB ability to anticipate and capture the exactly right moment is magical. A brilliant french chef can prepare countless brilliant dishes, but there is so much more in the world of great food. That in no way diminishes the accomplishment of a great chef.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:07 PM
robertjm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Aunti, I'm drawing a blank. What's HCB

AuntiPode wrote:
I am, BTW, quite fond of the work of HCB, and many other great photographers and artists who work with photographic images. HCB ability to anticipate and capture the exactly right moment is magical. A brilliant french chef can prepare countless brilliant dishes, but there is so much more in the world of great food. That in no way diminishes the accomplishment of a great chef.

Sep 07, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

I would guess Henri Cartier-Bresson..one of my favorites.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Yup. Henri Cartier-Bresson. A photographer with a remarkable body of work.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:51 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

AuntiPode wrote:
After going back to University and doing related work I ended up specifying, designing and developing complex software products

Interesting, Karen. I went back to school and got a second degree in Computer Science. I've spent the last 25+ years in the industry designing and coding software on everything from mainframes down. I have also been lead on sales and other systems for a national manufacturing company where every minute of down time was very expensive.

I get enough technical at work. I want to be intuitive when off work.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:05 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Exactly.

Sep 08, 2012 at 08:46 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

"I feel like I can't take a great image on purpose. They all seem to be accidents. Hard for an ex engineer to deal with."

You are far too hard on yourself! To quote Sam Goldwyn "The harder I work, the luckier I get". Enjoy the "luck" element in photography, because it isn't luck at all. Luck here is just you exploring your changing world with a camera. Photography is an art, that means that it is very heavily dependent on your subconscious, which might be very hard for the engineer part of your brain to accept. Revel in the more mystical aspects of photography, you are now set free from equations, laws, principles etc etc. Just grab your camera, and enjoy taking pictures. The less you try to be an engineer the better your images will be. Trust your subconscious, you will be stunned by what you can achieve if you let go of technique. Chase the light, as photographers used to say, all you need for great photography is "F8 and be there!".

While we are talking about the role of "laws" in photography, allow me to get a rant off my chest. People often talk about "the law of thirds". In fact they should call this "the vague suggestion of thirds". There are no laws in photography.

Sep 09, 2012 at 06:24 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Thanks, the rules or habits of composition are one set of constraints I wish I could replace with pure intuition or feeling. Cam't avoid the laws of physics with respect to the gear I use, but I could with respect to what I choose to shoot, and in fact I do.

My post about the wave was exactly an example of getting lucky by means of persistence. But I screwed up by not angling my camera per some prescribed thirds dealybob.

Sep 09, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks, the rules or habits of composition are one set of constraints I wish I could replace with pure intuition or feeling. Cam't avoid the laws of physics with respect to the gear I use, but I could with respect to what I choose to shoot, and in fact I do.

My post about the wave was exactly an example of getting lucky by means of persistence. But I screwed up by not angling my camera per some prescribed thirds dealybob.

As you know I don't like the term "rules" of composition but rather look at composition as a toolkit to be used to develop the potential of an image. As you also know I spend a lot of time especially in bad lighting working on compositions. A light weight P&S helps and not using a tripod is a really big help. And by no means feel constrained to keep your camera level in all dimensions. An easy beginning technique is to shoot thirds. Then try different compositional techniques looking for patterns and leading lines. Try to pick a center of interest and develop the composition around that. After some practice you will start to see different compositions very quickly; i.e., by "intuition or feeling." You will also start to develop a style where you pull out preferred compositions and designs. This is great fun and adds more creative posibilities to your work. To some extent I know you always compose shots but there are way more possibilities than you currently admit to.

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

I also forgot to mention, but using a prime is a real hindrance to exploring composition. A zoom lens will give you much better options with little effort.

Sep 09, 2012 at 07:09 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

Feet ... the original lens zoom.

Sep 09, 2012 at 08:33 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

AuntiPode wrote:
Feet ... the original lens zoom.

The foot zoom often does not work well. You still need an assortment of primes and space to foot zoom. Then there is the time factor. I often make several failed attempts for each composition I like. Changing lenses and positions could take a long time ...by then I would be moving on to another angle or a different scene. The idea I am proposing is to try lots of compositions in a short period of time to avoid the perfectionists approach.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What did Ansel Adams actually do?

ben egbert wrote:
But I screwed up by not angling my camera per some prescribed thirds dealybob.

Not even close.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:40 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password