Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Wildlife Lens Choose

StarNut wrote:
Your choice is a matter of optimization among the factors that matter, such as budget, your ability to hand-hold a lens, how far you expect to be from the beasts, etc.

When I'm hunting for big game shots, I bring my 70-200 with extenders, and the 500/f/4 I. And a tripod with a gimbal mount. I've used the bare 70-200 for moose, and I've had times when even the 500 wasn't really enough to get bison.

If you're determined to hand-hold it, I certainly would recommend renting before buying any of the big lenses. I'm reasonably big, reasonably strong, and reasonably
...Show more

I pray I did not give the impression I would be handholding 100% of the time... Give that 2% hand, 98% tripod with gimbal... When I go out alone I carry the 300 2.8 on the 7D and whatever rental lens I have on the 1DIV... I carry them to my blind and sit waiting on the game... Or I drive around until I spot game, try to anticipate their movement , and slip near them with one of the setups... I have successfully photoed deer, moose, and bear doing this... But now I am "Older" and am not going far from the car... Thank you for your advice...

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:33 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · Wildlife Lens Choose

jasonsim wrote:
Just get an 800mm and be done with it. forget about the extenders ;-)

I believe I would enjoy the 800mm if I could afford it... The only way I can afford a 500 / whatever is that I am selling my house... Now if you want to chip in Thanks

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:36 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I would not do that and you'll be disappointed if you think 300 II is as light as 400 DO. With 1.4x TC II and 300 II you are ~ 625g heavier or in US units about 1.4lb; 300 II is only 200g lighter than 300 I. IQ will be great though. I would not sell a 500 to rely on a 300 + TC's and I have both those lenses and use the 300 + TC's quite a bit, although mainly the 1.4x.

OP might be better off getting a 400 f/2.8L IS II. It takes Tc's even
...Show more

Several have suggested the 400 2.8... I have rented it and loved it... My feeling now is about 60% 500 / 40% 400... This could change depending on cost and availability... Thank you, Jim

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

oldrattler
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · Wildlife Lens Choose

I want to thank everybody that participated in the survey and to the thousands that took an interest... I am amazed that one lens received such a majority... What equally amazed me was the second chose is too close to call conclusive... The 100-400, 400 2.4, 600, & 800 are very popular, and rightly so... Thank you one and all...

Sep 06, 2012 at 12:21 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.4 #5 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler wrote:
I believe I would enjoy the 800mm if I could afford it... The only way I can afford a 500 / whatever is that I am selling my house... Now if you want to chip in Thanks

Best of luck with your decision. Let us know what you finally decide on.

Just to note that the 400mm f/2.8L IS II that you are considering is $11.5k, nearly $1.5k more than what I paid for my slightly used mint 800mm f5.6L IS that I bought on Ebay. There are a few still for sale on FM B&S board for less than that new 400mm.

Sep 07, 2012 at 02:56 AM
CW100
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler wrote:
I want to thank everybody that participated in the survey and to the thousands that took an interest... I am amazed that one lens received such a majority... What equally amazed me was the second chose is too close to call conclusive... The 100-400, 400 2.4, 600, & 800 are very popular, and rightly so... Thank you one and all...

it all depends on the budget and what you intend to shoot
tough choices !

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password