Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Wildlife Lens Choose

mco_970 wrote:
IMO 500 is sharper wide open, and at 4.5, with things evening out beyond that, IMO IMO IMO.

If you have budget for the 500/4 I or II, I'd go that route for sure.

Thank you so much.. The information is extremely helpful... Jim

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:48 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler wrote:
I am considering the 400 2.8 strongly... Jim

Jim, as one retiree to another.....please be careful with that.....that lens causes bad mental as well as physical fatigue after a while. Yes, if one uses it here and there as a backup, or as a 2nd lens, that is OK, perhaps even great.....but not as your primary lens.

I know of only 2 other wildlife shooting folks who have been using 400 f/2.8 IS MkI with any regularity for a few years now, but they are both in their physical prime. All the others I know of, young or old, have sold it fairly quickly in favour of 500 f/4 or even 800L.

Now, 400 f/2.8 IS MkII would be an entirely different beast, but I am not sure if you are considering that one.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:52 PM
3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Just to be a little different, my selection is the 300 2.8, a very versitle lens which works well with multipliers and is great for low light.
The 400 5.6 is relatively inexpensive and will take a 1.4 multiplier. This is my long hike lens.
The 70-300 spends a lot of time on my 2nd camera.
For length I choose the 600 f4 as it can be a 800 5.6 or 1200 f8 and I have seen passable shots with multiple multipliers. The new 600II will lighten your pocketbook, but is a wonderful lens, weighs little more than 1 lb. more than the 500 II. Both are great lenses, but I like the 600II,
Your mileage will vary and you can't go wrong with any ot the advice here.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Wildlife Lens Choose

uz2work wrote:
Lars,

It is really pretty simple, the two bodies and the two long lenses that I use give me the opportunity to create a number of body and lens combinations that give me the field of view that I want in the situations in which I shoot and that give me a couple of combinations that give me a light weight, portable, and mobile rig when I need it.

When I use my 400 DO with my 1D Mark IV, it does give me a wider field of view for most of the subjects that I shoot, and, for me,
...Show more

Les, that sounds good. But reading your link that you have posted and that are a few pages long. You don't write or mention anything about portability, light weight and mobility

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:03 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Les, that sounds good. But reading your link that you have posted and that are a few pages long. You don't write or mention anything about portability, light weight and mobility

I don't recall where, but I'm sure that, in some of the articles on my site, I do talk about portability. In any case, with regard to your original question, the short answer is that I use the bodies I do because, with the two lenses I like to use, they give me the field of view that I want, and that field of view is consistent, in most situations, with my desire to shoot wider, and they also meet my needs with regard to putting enough pixels on the subject. Portability just happens to be the bonus that I get from using the bodies that I do to get the field of view that I want, and that bonus helps me to get shots that I otherwise would not be able to get. But all of this is starting to go well OT with regard to the topic of this thread.

Sep 05, 2012 at 07:11 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Wildlife Lens Choose

PetKal wrote:
Jim, as one retiree to another.....please be careful with that.....that lens causes bad mental as well as physical fatigue after a while. Yes, if one uses it here and there as a backup, or as a 2nd lens, that is OK, perhaps even great.....but not as your primary lens.

I know of only 2 other wildlife shooting folks who have been using 400 f/2.8 IS MkI with any regularity for a few years now, but they are both in their physical prime. All the others I know of, young or old, have sold it fairly quickly in favour of 500
...Show more

Thank you... When I rented the 400 2.8 I shot it handheld for about 2 hours... I was ready for the emergency room... That thing is heavy... Buying it would be for tripod use only... I am not man enough to handhold... The consensus seems to be the 500 4... that is most-likely the one I'll buy... Thank you, Jim

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:48 PM
Bob L
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Wildlife Lens Choose

On the 7D, the 100-400IS could be a great option considering value, weight, and reach.

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:55 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Bob Lovallo wrote:
On the 7D, the 100-400IS could be a great option considering value, weight, and reach.

I shot with a man yesterday that was using that combo... He seemed very happy with it... I discounted it because I have the 300 2.8 + 7D + 1.4X (effectively 672mm F4 vs F8 with 100-400)) and wanted more reach... Thank you...

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Hi Jim,

I'm very happy with the 500/4L IS on 1DIV or 1DX, sometimes with whatever extender combination seems to make sense (or not). I also use the 100-400L quite a lot with a 24-105L as my 'walkabout' kit. It's quite capable for longer shots too, but it's not in the same class as the 500/4L IS - nor is the 70-200/2.8L IS II + 2x III.

Jim

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:22 PM
dmcharg
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Wildlife Lens Choose

There is no substitute for the size, weight, portability etc of the 100-400, 300 F4 or 400 5.6 so my advice would be start with one of these. After you've shot one of these for a period you will have a very good idea of what its limitations are i.e do you need more reach ? do you need a faster lens i.e F2.8 ? Do you want a prime or a zoom lens ? is IS essential ? are ok with lugging around a tripod ?

Stepping up to any of canon big guns is a major step up and a serious amount of cash given recent prices so rent whatever lens you think you need and see how you go. I have rented the 300 2.8 & 500 F4 and whilst they are stunning lens i just found the size/weight didn't work for me. The money spent for a short period rental is money very well spent, either you will have to have one or you will be cursing the size/weight. I personally prefer the walk about shooting style that a smaller telephoto allows so the flexibility of the 100-400 is what works for me.

Sep 05, 2012 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Psychic1
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler wrote:
I discounted it because I have the 300 2.8 + 7D + 1.4X (effectively 672mm F4 vs F8 with 100-400)) and wanted more reach... Thank you...

600L is your only option, enjoy the workout

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:29 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler wrote:
I shot with a man yesterday that was using that combo... He seemed very happy with it... I discounted it because I have the 300 2.8 + 7D + 1.4X (effectively 672mm F4 vs F8 with 100-400)) and wanted more reach... Thank you...

Which extender did you use? I tried the canon 1.4x + 100-400mm on the 5d2 and ran into the lack of AF above f/5.6.

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:34 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Your choice is a matter of optimization among the factors that matter, such as budget, your ability to hand-hold a lens, how far you expect to be from the beasts, etc.

When I'm hunting for big game shots, I bring my 70-200 with extenders, and the 500/f/4 I. And a tripod with a gimbal mount. I've used the bare 70-200 for moose, and I've had times when even the 500 wasn't really enough to get bison.

If you're determined to hand-hold it, I certainly would recommend renting before buying any of the big lenses. I'm reasonably big, reasonably strong, and reasonably fit, but my 500/4 too much for me to hand hold for long. But there is no substitute for focal length when the beasties are a long way away (and some beasties you don't want to be so close).

My $.02; YMMV

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:39 PM
jasonsim
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Just get an 800mm and be done with it. forget about the extenders ;-)

Sep 05, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Wildlife Lens Choose

jasonsim wrote:
I think on a 7D the 300mm f/2.8L II will be enough. Especially coupled with 1.4x III and 2x III (if needed). Like others have said, it depends on how close you can get to your subjects. The only reason I have a 500mm and now an 800mm is for birds and I want to start using my 5D III for that too.

You might also think about the framing of your subjects. Do you want more environment showing, full bodies, or tight portraits (faces).

My choices, purely because you have crop bodies and shooting big game:

1. 300mm f/2.8L II IS
Just
...Show more

I would not do that and you'll be disappointed if you think 300 II is as light as 400 DO. With 1.4x TC II and 300 II you are ~ 625g heavier or in US units about 1.4lb; 300 II is only 200g lighter than 300 I. IQ will be great though. I would not sell a 500 to rely on a 300 + TC's and I have both those lenses and use the 300 + TC's quite a bit, although mainly the 1.4x.

OP might be better off getting a 400 f/2.8L IS II. It takes Tc's even better and will make a superb 560 f/4 which would be adequate for the larger wildlife. If cost was an issue I would get a 500 mk I over a 300 mk II.

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:00 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Wildlife Lens Choose

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Jim,

I'm very happy with the 500/4L IS on 1DIV or 1DX, sometimes with whatever extender combination seems to make sense (or not). I also use the 100-400L quite a lot with a 24-105L as my 'walkabout' kit. It's quite capable for longer shots too, but it's not in the same class as the 500/4L IS - nor is the 70-200/2.8L IS II + 2x III.

Jim

Thanks Jim... I do not own a 2X because I have heard it produces suspect renderings... The 100-400 looked like a nice general purpose (walk-around) lens... Everything points toward the 500 4... Jim

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:09 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Wildlife Lens Choose

dmcharg wrote:
There is no substitute for the size, weight, portability etc of the 100-400, 300 F4 or 400 5.6 so my advice would be start with one of these. After you've shot one of these for a period you will have a very good idea of what its limitations are i.e do you need more reach ? do you need a faster lens i.e F2.8 ? Do you want a prime or a zoom lens ? is IS essential ? are ok with lugging around a tripod ?

Stepping up to any of canon big guns is a major step up
...Show more

Thank you... I own the 300 2.8 IS and have no problem shooting it handheld... I rented the 400 2.8 IS and had a horrible time handholding... On a tripod I loved it... I currently am renting the 500 4 IS and shot it for about 1/2 hour handheld... No way is this old body going to do that... On the tripod it is super... I have owned the 300 4 & the 400 5.6 and found myself wanting more light, and reach... Thank you...

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:16 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Wildlife Lens Choose

Psychic1 wrote:
600L is your only option, enjoy the workout

I thought we had a wife to carry our big glass ?? .. The 300 2.8 is the one my wife uses... She told me to get my own... Hence, the poll.

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:20 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Wildlife Lens Choose

datousteve wrote:
Which extender did you use? I tried the canon 1.4x + 100-400mm on the 5d2 and ran into the lack of AF above f/5.6.

I have the Canon 1.4X II...

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:21 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Wildlife Lens Choose

oldrattler wrote:
I have the Canon 1.4X II...

I don't think the 1.4xII + 100-400mm will play well with the 7D so that isn't really a viable option. Maybe on the 1D series

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password