Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

DTOB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

I use my shirt. Am I alone?

Sep 10, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

PetKal wrote:
The usual cloth (and Pec-pads) and liquid cleaner method just couldn't lift a fine film, almost a haze, off the glass.

My experience is that some contaminants are removed best with alcohol based lens fluid and some with water based.

If you have a haze that you can't get off with an alcohol based fluid, then try a water based one.

Some of the water based cleaning fluids are really good.

Zeiss and Arri both rebrand off the shelf water based fluids and sell them as their own.

Sep 15, 2012 at 09:55 AM
egd5
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

DTOB, yes, a nice old soft t-shirt is hard to beat.

Sep 16, 2012 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wilt
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

Schneider Optics markets one under the PhotoClear name.
The microfiber cloth offered by Adorama, the MicroDear, is the one which Herb Keppler the editor of Modern Photography magazine, wrote about before they were imported to the USA from Japan years later.

Sep 16, 2012 at 09:03 PM
alexdi
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

Any of them. I use a set I bought at WM for my car. They're great. Car people are even more anal than photographers, they'd never use anything with the slightest risk of abrasion.

Sep 20, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Greg Campbell
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The best microfiber lens cleaning cloth

Unless you're going to throw them out or have them thoroughly cleaned after each use, I'd have to say, "None of the above." It's like using the same bath towel over and over and over....

I prefer polyester swabs with methanol and/or distilled water. Failing that, a cotton facial pillow + a few drops of the solvent-of-the-day will do in a pinch, although it may leave a few bits of fuzz.

The best cleaning 'solution' is often to not clean the glass at all. Unless you've managed to smear a great blob of pizza grease on the glass, it's unlikely that the dirt or goo will have any measurable effect on the image quality. Occasional careful cleaning at home with proper equipment should usually suffice...

Sep 20, 2012 at 07:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password