Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

Hey all,

I'm still pretty new to this forum. I've been a member on several other forums, and I find the content and expertise here to be extremely valuable. Kudos.

Ok...I've recently read on some other threads about people outsourcing their edits to a 3rd party. I've never considered that, and wanted some feedback from the community here. How many of you outsource some or part of your editing? If you do, who should I be looking at?

My editing is by far the least enjoyable and most time consuming part of my weddings. I'm not the fastest in PS, and tend to waste a lot of time playing around with different looks on some images.

Your input is appreciated.

James

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:43 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

Edit myself. Though I'm still developing, my visual style is my own. Unless I had way more than I could handle -- not the case now -- and could trust someone to process photos with my vision, I wouldn't want to outsource.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:38 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

I always thought that I would never trust anyone else.... now what we are swamped the ONLY thing I can think about is when can I send the next batch out to be edited.

Our style is unique but there is no magic formula... we get it right in camera and editing it is really not all that hard to do it just takes time.

I still edit everything that goes on the blog etc. as well as do my own developing of film.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:04 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

honestly i think its quite lame to out source, imo there will never be someone that has "your" eye or can be trained to edit like "you". Its part of the art.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:15 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

No outsource here... this could be interesting to watch, to see how certain people answer.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:20 PM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

As someone who is currently teaching 6 university courses and has 7 weddings in the next 8 weeks, I'd like to know who you're using, Doug.

Haha here's the sad part: 2 of the 7 weddings aren't really the ideal client for me going forward. Guess who's getting outsourced?

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

Haven't used him, but a quick shoutout to our own Tim Miller:

http://www.facebook.com/ShootEditLove

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

RichardLavigne wrote:
No outsource here... this could be interesting to watch, to see how certain people answer.

I'm already surprised by Doug's answer. I think he was an opponent a while back when I said I outsource color correction.

However, I think we need to define "editing." I don't consider WB/exposure to be editing. That's what I outsource. All the images still get the special Inku treatment.

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:21 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

I do what Inku does. I send out for a very basic color correction and then do my own sauce.

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Inga
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

Inku Yo wrote:
I'm already surprised by Doug's answer. I think he was an opponent a while back when I said I outsource color correction.

However, I think we need to define "editing." I don't consider WB/exposure to be editing. That's what I outsource. All the images still get the special Inku treatment.

I think this is what Jared Platt recommended in his recent creativeLIVE course. Outsource basic corrections and then use your own special treatment to finish the corrected images.

I'm still new and don't have that many to edit, so I'm doing it myself.

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

What I have found over the course of the past year is that I can get 95% of the final result I want to deliver in camera.
I have a couple presets I normally use and just tweak a few things that anybody with some photography skill can do. My presets are nothing more than basic slider movements...

I always thought that I was the only one that could do it but found myself just wasting time clicking buttons. For the blog I still control everything but for the other 600-1000 images a person gets someone else can do it no problem.

I will admit I was not a big fan of outsourcing but when the going gets tough I would rather sleep well at night and worry about other things that can actually make me money.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:06 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

It is also kind of humorous to me when people want to know how you edited something...
Better question is
How did you shoot it?

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

I'm going to add that all of the 600-800 images that I deliver look exactly like the ones on my blog... meaning that each image gets the Inku treatment. I don't think it's fair to show one thing on the blog and then deliver something less than that.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

hardlyboring wrote:
It is also kind of humorous to me when people want to know how you edited something...
Better question is
How did you shoot it?

I know what you mean, but I don't think it's possible for everyone to shoot in camera the way they edit in Photoshop or LR.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:11 AM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

You need to ultimately decide what works best for you in your specific situation. The ability to look at a potential problem or advantage and address it as such is more important than who does your editing.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

hardlyboring wrote:
Better question is
How did you shoot it?

Couldn't agree more. I ask the second question all the time.

The main reason I'm on this forum is because most of the wedding shooters here are a LOT better than me. One of my life rules is that if you want to be better in something, surround yourself with people who are better than you.

Sep 05, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

I'm good at editing, but our business and product is better because we outsource our weddings.

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:26 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

david1234 wrote:
honestly i think its quite lame to out source, imo there will never be someone that has "your" eye or can be trained to edit like "you". Its part of the art.

I disagree strongly with this. I used to feel the same way, then I tried it.

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:28 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

We do both. We outsource when we need a lot o stuff done quickly. What gets outsourced is all prep shots, ceremony and reception. We hand edit the formals and fun shots. Now there are times when we just rock the shit out of a wedding and there is no way in hell we would outsource it because we have an idea in mind on how some things need done. Like this past saturdays wedding. I just finished editing all the images myself while I outsourced the last 2 weddings and 6 photo shoots.

The hardest thing for us was letting go and trusting someone to do the editing. It took us 3 years to move to outsourcing. Now it is great. We only do it 50% of the time, but it is worth it. Gets us free family time back.

Find someone who edits raw and sends you sidecars back. That way you can tweak where needed.

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:10 AM
mcarriere987
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Edit yourself or outsource it?

How are you guys that outsource delivering the raws? Mailing hard drives or just plain ol' uploading?

Sep 05, 2012 at 08:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password