Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Jacob D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Brian, I hear what you're saying, I don't know what a fair price is for the NX20, but it is on the expensive end compared to tried and true competition.

AS a system it's not exactly inexpensive either. The 30/2 retails at $375. I think given the performance of the excellent Sigma 30/2.8 that price is hard to justify, even with the extra stop of speed on the Sammy. I think $299 (or less) would be about right.

The 85/1.4 is an impressive piece of glass. Although it looks like its performance could warrant the price tag I still wouldn't want to pay it because Sammy is still not a widely proven system and need to price theirselves accordingly. I'd probably shell out $799 for the 85/1.4

If the pricing on their bodies and lenses was more in line with this I'd be very tempted to give them a try. I do think they have a good lens lineup going for them, several of the lenses are compact too which is nice to see. I would not give up my 5N + CV glass due to its size and quality but I think the NX20 + a few of their lenses would make a nice AF/native lens platform.

Problem is the OM-D is out there at this price point.

Nov 09, 2012 at 02:56 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.2 #2 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

briantho wrote:
Could be prices in Sweden are higher. NEX cameras are pretty cheap here, and there are cashbacks deals available on most Sony cameras atm.

BTW, the NEX-F3 + 18-55 is available here for 200 after cashback, a great camera for 200.

Yeah, considering an F3 myself, I work for a consumer electronics retailer so would get a discount as well....

FWIW, I saw the NX20 for around 8k SEK here; a bit cheaper than the NEX-7 (9k with kit lens) and E-M5 (10k with kit lens) but not much...

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:48 PM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #3 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

The NEX-7 has a SEK800 cashback until january. I'm considering buying it now that it's come down in price.

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:01 PM
alphaone

p.2 #4 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Awesome image quality from Samsung NX !
A different approach than current Japanese manufacturers and the clarity is almost like Leica style imo.

shot by Samsung NX11

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:13 AM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #5 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Jacob D wrote:
Brian, I hear what you're saying, I don't know what a fair price is for the NX20, but it is on the expensive end compared to tried and true competition.

AS a system it's not exactly inexpensive either. The 30/2 retails at $375. I think given the performance of the excellent Sigma 30/2.8 that price is hard to justify, even with the extra stop of speed on the Sammy. I think $299 (or less) would be about right.

The 85/1.4 is an impressive piece of glass. Although it looks like its performance could warrant the price tag I still wouldn't want
...Show more

30mm f2 retails for $299 and is routinely found at much lower prices new. In the used market you can get one for less than $200. I got my NX200 + 30mm f2 for just under $500 which is an amazing value.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:52 AM
charlie_orozco

p.2 #6 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

curious80 wrote:
30mm f2 retails for $299 and is routinely found at much lower prices new. In the used market you can get one for less than $200. I got my NX200 + 30mm f2 for just under $500 which is an amazing value.

Hey! I sent you a PM about a lens, could you be so kind to answer? Cheers!

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:45 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

alphaone wrote:
Awesome image quality from Samsung NX !
A different approach than current Japanese manufacturers and the clarity is almost like Leica style imo.

*snip*
shot by Samsung NX11

If any of my Leica gear produced a shot as smudgy as that I'd bin it. That looks like the output from my RX100 P&S.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:43 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Samsung announces NX300 3D capable 20MP mirrorless camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/03/Samsung-announces-NX300-3D-capable-20MP-mirrorless-camera-with-WVGA-touchscreen

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:30 PM
jj birder
• •
p.2 #9 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Some interesting refinements there (tilting touchscreen, AF) yet the 3D capability gets top billing. Ho hum.

The DPR comments are worth reading for some excellent examples of low IQ (intelligence quotient) from the why wait for the camera's release when I can flame today crowd.

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

jj birder wrote:
Some interesting refinements there (tilting touchscreen, AF) yet the 3D capability gets top billing. Ho hum.

The DPR comments are worth reading for some excellent examples of low IQ (intelligence quotient) from the why wait for the camera's release when I can flame today crowd.

Probably cause Samsung is quite predictable. Even tho that 3D gimmick wasnt something I would expect..

Tilt-screen is plus. But everything else is just meh.. I will believe in improvement when I see it. Original NX200 and 210 are seriously underpowered cams, its like having Dodge Viper with 1.1l engine from Golf. Supershallow buffer (like from 2005), very slow to do anything.

So I hope they give it some turbo.

Its not like they are not possible to use, they are, but its not much fun. And that EVF is really something it should have. NX100 could have one, but it was poor quality, poorly implemented. So nobody bought it. Plus it was start of NX, so it was even bit worse.. Samsung apparently concluded that they dont need EVFs from that.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

mann_p wrote:
I found a review of the nx20 on ephotozine.com

I haven't read the review yet because I went straight to the sample photos. I noticed something not right in the wide shots - right side softer than the left. Reminds me of the decentering issues the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 had (I actually owned one copy with said issue).

Here are the direct links to the hires photos
Photo 1

Photo 2

I hope it's just the lens and not the camera itself.

Those sample images look almost exactly like my Samsung Galaxy Note smart-phone camera. They have the same granulated look and about the same level of micro-contrast (meaning almost none at all). That could indeed be due to the lens alone - but probably a combination of sensor, poor in-camera jpeg rendering engine, and lens.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:29 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

looks decent, but still no evf.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Bifurcator wrote:
Those sample images look almost exactly like my Samsung Galaxy Note smart-phone camera. They have the same granulated look and about the same level of micro-contrast (meaning almost none at all). That could indeed be due to the lens alone - but probably a combination of sensor, poor in-camera jpeg rendering engine, and lens.

Bif, dont judge from bad JPEGs. It can do good photos, just JPEG engine is sucky..

http://www.ulozisko.sk/obrazky/580067/NX20_01.jpg
http://www.ulozisko.sk/obrazky/580068/NX20_02.jpg

RAWs from LightRoom. First has bit pushed shadows, second has shadows 100 (thats why its so noisy under that bridge). Otherwise pretty much my regular setup for LR. NR set 25 for chroma, 0 for lumi. Second is bit more sharpened (guess that didnt help noise, but would hardy be visible unless printed really big). Plus second had bit of distortion correction and leveling to keep things straight. Both is with NX20 and kit lens (18-55). Taken from some review with RAWs.

Exported as TIFFs, saved as JPEGs via PS.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

sebboh wrote:
looks decent, but still no evf.

More like again no EVF. NX100 had optional one, just not very good one..

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

mann_p wrote:
I found a review of the nx20 on ephotozine.com

I haven't read the review yet because I went straight to the sample photos. I noticed something not right in the wide shots - right side softer than the left. Reminds me of the decentering issues the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 had (I actually owned one copy with said issue).

Here are the direct links to the hires photos
Photo 1

Photo 2

I hope it's just the lens and not the camera itself.

Bifurcator wrote:

Mescalamba wrote:
Bif, dont judge from bad JPEGs. It can do good photos, just JPEG engine is sucky..

http://www.ulozisko.sk/obrazky/580067/NX20_01.jpg
http://www.ulozisko.sk/obrazky/580068/NX20_02.jpg

RAWs from LightRoom. First has bit pushed shadows, second has shadows 100 (thats why its so noisy under that bridge). Otherwise pretty much my regular setup for LR. NR set 25 for chroma, 0 for lumi. Second is bit more sharpened (guess that didnt help noise, but would hardy be visible unless printed really big). Plus second had bit of distortion correction and leveling to keep things straight. Both is with NX20 and kit lens (18-55). Taken from some review with RAWs.

Exported as TIFFs,
...Show more

Yeah, those are pretty terrible too. Better but still not "good" in any sense.

The 1st shot is at F/9.0 so it managed to get some sharpness in. But it's ISO 100 and grainy as hell. Might as well be ISO 1250 on the GH1. The second one is the same but at f/7.1 whatever lens that is is just trashing any detail it could have gotten. On top of that the shadows are green, the colors washed, and the DR looks to be about the same as a small sensor P&S. At least these are better than my cell-phone - but not by all that much really.

I'm not intentionally trying to bag on these images just because Samsung is a notorious e-junk maker flooding the world's markets - that's really what I see here. For a $900+ camera released mid/late 2012 I would say (judging by these 4 images) that the NX20 is a massive failure. I hadn't looked at any camera from Samsung (besides my phones) really until now - mainly because there was no buzz about them - or as phrased on page one of this thread: no love for the Samsung cameras...

If this is what it typically produces I can totally see why. Perhaps it's only saving grace is its AMOLED rear display? Not really sure. I'm not inspired to read much about this camera from looking at these. They got one thing over the other mirrorless offerings out there... 1/8000 shutter speed. That's kinda kewl - tho if it can not produce decent images then what's the point?

And please, don't take any of this personally or anything, hell, you didn't design this camera system after all (I hope). It's just a straight forward critique of what I see on my screen.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:56 PM
kiankim

p.2 #16 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I bought Samsung NX1000 with 20-50mm last week week, with intention of using it as "compact" camera when/where my 5D II would be too big or inappropriate (NX1000 is practically NX210 w/o AMOLED, Metal body and couple buttons)

So far, IQ wise, NX1000 with kit lens is rather pretty darn good, considering price I paid for it (Under $400) although high-iso performance seems to suffer quite a lot and its JPEG seems over sharpened, for its price, Can't really complain for its image quality. One thing I noticed was, shadow can be brought up more than my 5D II can in Lightroom4, but highlights clip much faster than my 5D II does.

Ergonomics are Aright, although I feel Sony's mirrorless offerings are better interms of ergonomics.

HOWEVER, NX1000's responsiveness and speed is just plain POS like many other reviews have indicated. Even my old bridge camera (FZ-30) from 2004 feels faster in this regard and this is biggest problem Samsung's NX cameras have IMO.

I ordered lens adapter to use my Leica Summicron-R (35 and 90mm) on NX, and only when It arrives I can really judge Samsung's IQ, but so far, I am not pleased with it to be honest.

Being Korean, I used ALOT of Samsung products so far, and everything they make seem to lack "completeness." NX range have great IQ, but have terrible speed, kind of like their smartphones, which is supposedly one of fastest in market, but when I tried it, it feels bugged down and something seems to ALWAYS goes wrong.

Just my opinions

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

That noise issue is probably due 1) my processing isnt much forgiving 2) sharpening 3) very bad exposure AI inside NX20.

What NX20 does for "enhacing" DR is that no matter what mode you are using, it measures two exposures, one which is right and second which is from brightest point. Then takes exposure based on brightest point and brightens whole image to match proper exposure. Which as you may guess does quite terrible stuff to noise..

DR is around 10-11 eV. Usable but kinda funny compared to lets say NEX-5N..

And yea that kit lens is quite crappy. They have quite a bit of much better prime lens.

But as usually Samsung did almost everything right. Problem is that "almost" part..

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Well, post some sample images of it so we can see.
Like, without all the extraneous editing and such.

No offense intended but you're talking like it's wonderful and showing that it's terrible. :-/

kiankim wrote:
Being Korean, I used ALOT of Samsung products so far, and everything they make seem to lack "completeness." NX range have great IQ, but have terrible speed, kind of like their smartphones, which is supposedly one of fastest in market, but when I tried it, it feels bugged down and something seems to ALWAYS goes wrong.

Just my opinions

Yup! Hehehe, I think they're getting better now tho. My Galaxy Note get's easily bogged and there's lots of irritating troubles like you say. Yet my S3 is pretty sweet. Maybe it's just the extra 2 cores but there's a big difference.

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:23 AM
kiankim

p.2 #19 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

I didn't get to go out much since I bought Samsung to be honest, so I don't have much sample to show

This isn't best 100% crop to show what camera can do, but it is something regardless
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiankim9609/8347207069/in/photostream/

Shot at 20mm wideopen(f3.5), and ISO800. Image is straight from camera (JPEG), other than 100% crop thing I had to do in Lightroom.

But I will try to go out this weekend to get some samples in ideal condition if possible

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:53 AM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #20 · Samsung NX is awesome..be sure to check it out.

Having used NEX-5N and NX200 side by side there is not much difference between them in terms of image quality except superior low ISO DR from NEX. Samsung jpeg engine is a mess at high ISO noise reduction though but since I shoot raw with either of them so thats not a big concern for me. In terms of ergonomics and controls I much prefer NX200 over NEX-5N. There is nothing fancy in its ergonomics but it just has a nice sensible set of controls and is simply more comfortable to hold. It does suffer from slow write speeds for RAW - using a fast card and latest firmware makes it much better and fairly adequate but it is an area where they can improve. Also AF is definitely not in E-M5 category but not much different from NEX-5N. If NX300 improves on AF and write speeds as claimed then I don't think there will be anything left to complain about. It will just be a very solid performer though without as many bells and whistles.

At the end of the day if you think that either of these cameras / sensors is not capable of producing excellent results than you would be deluding yourself. Unless I am in a situation where I need to pull a lot of details from shadows I would simply not see any significant real world difference between the two sensors. The choice has to come down to what features are important to you and which lenses appeal you more and so on.

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:40 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password