Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
By law the warranty in all EU countries is at least two years. The EU directive 1999/44/EC. And it apply to all consumer goods.

Check the Canon UK warranty page, it's 12 months.

Quote: "1. Warranty period
This warranty is valid for one year from the original purchase date of the new product (three years in case of projectors), as evidenced by the above mentioned documents."

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Two years warranty is the law for consumer protection. Every consumer goods you buy in a UK or EU shop have at least that. No company or shop in the EU can make their own rules about the warranty.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0044:en:HTML

"So how does the EU rule change things?The EU directive in question is 1999/44/EC. The full wording is contained here (open the word documtent and scroll to page 7) but the important bit is this: 'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. In some countries, this may be more, and some manufacturers also choose to offer a longer warranty period."

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:47 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #3 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Online or in the street, here in the UK you only get a 1 year warranty. This goes for pretty much everything. Some manufacturers offer more but they are few and far between. Some stores offer an extra year (such as Clifton Cameras) but the second year is not a manufacturer warranty (where the manufacturer doesn't offer 2years, like Canon).

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos wrote:
Online or in the street, here in the UK you only get a 1 year warranty. This goes for pretty much everything. Some manufacturers offer more but they are few and far between. Some stores offer an extra year (such as Clifton Cameras) but the second year is not a manufacturer warranty (where the manufacturer doesn't offer 2years, like Canon).

Everything has two year. But you don't really get it I buy a lot of things from UK. And everything has it. It's the law for consumer protection. it's not about what the manufacturers offer. Or some store offer. It's the law, so it doesn't matter if they offer it or they have 6 months or one year on their warranty cards. It's still two year. Just google it. Or read the links from before.......................

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:12 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #5 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Everything has two year. But you don't really get it I buy a lot of things from UK. And everything has it. It's the law for consumer protection. it's not about what the manufacturers offer. Or some store offer. It's the law, so it doesn't matter if they offer it or they have 6 months or one year on their warranty cards. It's still two year. Just google it. Or read the links from before.......................

Your EU "law" doesn't apply, SOGA is what is followed in the UK. The manufacturer is not obliged to provide 2 years warranty, the generally provide 1 year. After that the consumer has to go to the seller to resolve any issues (which isn't always straightforward), in theory you actually get more than 2 years under SOGA but the seller will do all they can to wriggle out of it.

Edit: SOGA actually provides up to 6 years protection, although this depends on if the product is expected to last 6 years and also expected wear and tear in this time isn't covered.

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

I bought a Drobo S from UK. Because it was bought in UK I got my two year warranty. Normally Drobo only give one year. Like they do to all their USA customers.

This is a copy of it. The SOGA don't apply if it is less than the EU law.

"Within the European Union there is free movement of goods and services. In order to safeguard this principle, agreements have also been made on consumer protection. These agreements are set out in the European Directive on the Sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees, which is applicable in every Member State. Below we set out your minimum rights and guarantees when buying goods and services in an EU Member State. These rights and guarantees can therefore never be curtailed by any guarantee clause, warranty provision or general terms and conditions. In addition to these basic rights, certain countries may also have more far-reaching national laws and rules designed to protect consumers."

When are you entitled to free repair or replacement?
The seller is liable for the proper performance of your purchase for a period of at least 2 years. If the purchased item becomes defective within 6 months or if, within this period, the performance of the purchased item is not what you might reasonably expect of it, it is assumed that the lack of conformity already existed at the time of purchase. This does not apply, if the seller can prove that the defect is your own fault

"The period of 2 years is a minimum requirement which every EU Member State must comply with. However, under Dutch legislation it is assumed that you are entitled to a longer period of compliance with the requirements of proper performance in the case of products with a longer expected useful life (washing machines, cars and other durable goods). The Netherlands therefore offers consumers (including those from abroad) more far-reaching protection than is required by the European Directive. However, this does not mean that you are entitled to repair free of charge in all cases after a period of 2 years. You must take into account the age of the purchased item in relation to its expected useful life and normal depreciation for age and wear and tear.

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:36 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos wrote:
Check the Canon UK warranty page, it's 12 months.

Quote: "1. Warranty period
This warranty is valid for one year from the original purchase date of the new product (three years in case of projectors), as evidenced by the above mentioned documents."

As far I know here are just words used wrong. There is a law for warranty (2 years) that forces your dealer to stand in for selling you a non functioning product.
What you are talking about is wrong named (even by manufacturers). It is a free offered (no law) "guaranty" (not warranty) from the manufacturer to stand in when your product stops working (not by your fault). That is the one year "warranty" Canon gives for their products. Or the new two year "warranty" for some (fewest) "pro" products. Example the 1D X. God knows (and maybe Canon) why they do not offer two years for a 5D III.

Ralph

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:00 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #8 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

As I've already stated above SOGA is seen to provide more than the EU, hence supersedes it.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:09 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos wrote:
As I've already stated above SOGA is seen to provide more than the EU, hence supersedes it.

Yes they can give you more than two year if they like that. But never one year like you wrote before. Two is the minimum. And another important thing is this:

"Donít allow yourself to be referred to the manufacturer. The seller is liable for compliance with the contract of sale"

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:13 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #10 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Yes they can give you more than two year if they like that. But never one year like you wrote before. Two is the minimum. And another important thing is this:

"Donít allow yourself to be referred to the manufacturer. The seller is liable for compliance with the contract of sale"

Exactly, just as I said. The Canon warranty is for 12 months, after that you go to the seller... Therefore after the first year you do not have access to the Canon repair network but whatever the seller has in place.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos wrote:
Exactly, just as I said. The Canon warranty is for 12 months, after that you go to the seller... Therefore after the first year you do not have access to the Canon repair network but whatever the seller has in place.

You always go to the seller. If you buy the camera in your local shop, then you give it back to them. It doesn't matter if it is after 1 month or 18 months.
And this has nothing to do with your writing about "Mack or 3rd party warranty" Like Ralph wrote before, they are not a real warranty. I would call those an insurance or similar thing. Canon also have different lengths on their warranty papers depending on equipment like Ralph wrote. And also depending on what country it is. I have two years Canon warranty on all my 15 Canon lenses. On the Canon paper you get with the lens

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:21 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #12 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

I give up.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos wrote:
I give up.

What else to do when you have seen the copies of the EU consumer protection law

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:33 PM
12monkeys
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

The EU directive is not horizontally applicable. You can't use it to sue a private individual (or company). I haven't checked whether it's been transposed into UK law but if it has, you should quote the relevant national legislation. If it hasn't, you would have to sue the UK government for its failure to implement the directive. Good luck with that.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:03 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #15 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
What else to do when you have seen the copies of the EU consumer protection law

That does not apply in the UK, the country I live in. Canon do not give a 2 year warranty in the UK on the 5D3, if you don't like that take it up with them. They provide 1 year which I pointed out, after that it is the seller which I have also pointed out in the thread.

Dealing with the seller after any manufacturer warranty has expired is a mine field.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

jj_glos wrote:
That does not apply in the UK, the country I live in. Canon do not give a 2 year warranty in the UK on the 5D3, if you don't like that take it up with them. They provide 1 year which I pointed out, after that it is the seller which I have also pointed out in the thread.

Dealing with the seller after any manufacturer warranty has expired is a mine field.

Your government don't agree with you

And they have signed and agreed to it. Together with all other EU countries. Norway and Iceland also agreed and signed even if they are non EU countries.
This is the place you should contact in your own country if you have problems with it.

EUROPEAN CONSUMER CENTRE UK
1 Sylvan Court, Sylvan Way, Southfields Business Park, BASILDON Essex UK SS15 6TH

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

12monkeys wrote:
The EU directive is not horizontally applicable. You can't use it to sue a private individual (or company). I haven't checked whether it's been transposed into UK law but if it has, you should quote the relevant national legislation. If it hasn't, you would have to sue the UK government for its failure to implement the directive. Good luck with that.

It's not just an EU directive.

"These rules are laid down in Directives or Regulations which all EU Member States, plus Norway and Iceland, have incorporated into their national legislation."

Edited on Sep 04, 2012 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:28 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #18 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Ralph is actually correct, you keep calling it a 2 year warranty (implying manufacturer responsibility). The EU directive is a two year guarantee with the retailer, as in the UK you'll get manufacturer warranty cover for the first year then the second via the retailer. SOGA gives the UK up to six years so is far superior to the EU directive. Canon only currently give 2 year warranty for the EOS 1DX (and cinema range), not the 5D3. So you only get the benefit of Canon repair centres etc for the first year, after that you'll be dealing with whoever the retailer uses for repairs. The big problem is getting the retailer to accept the repair in the first place, but that's another issue.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:29 PM
12monkeys
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Lars, you're still missing the point. The EU directive that you quote tells governments that their national legislation must provide consumers with two years of protection on their purchases. An EU directive is not law in itself. Given that France was facing a huge EU fine for taking until 2005 to transpose the directive into French law, I find it hard to believe that Britain hasn't managed to get its arse into gear by now. But the wording of implementing laws is up to individual governments. And the requirement for consumers to enjoy two years of protection does not mean that the manufacturer (Canon in this instance) must provide a two-year guarantee. You can quite easily have a one-year manufacturer guarantee and one year shop guarantee. And if the shop decides to ignore this, you would have to take action on the basis of national legislation. The EU directive is irrelevant at this point.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:30 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #20 · Best UK 5d3 Price (In stock)

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Your government don't agree with you

And they have signed and agreed to it. Together with all other EU countries. Norway and Iceland also agreed and signed even if they are non EU countries.
This is the place you should contact in your own country if you have problems with it.

EUROPEAN CONSUMER CENTRE UK
1 Sylvan Court, Sylvan Way, Southfields Business Park, BASILDON Essex UK SS15 6TH

I don't any problems understanding my consumer rights thank you very much.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:31 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password