Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Headshots with WOW factor?

joesmosax
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Headshots with WOW factor?

I shoot a ton of headshots...but I'm looking inspiration. If you could post your favorite UNIQUE headshots(your work or links to others work) that would be amaing.

95% of what I shoot is on white or gray paper. There is a reason why these backdrop are common but I'm looking to change things up and add some accent pieces to my portfolio. Would love interesting backdrop and lighting ideas I can use in studio or on location.

Thanks!

Joe

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:57 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Headshots with WOW factor?

Have you seen the Peter Hurley DVD?

Sep 02, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Headshots with WOW factor?

Or check out
http://www.kelseyedwardsphoto.com/gallery_headshots.php

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:54 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Headshots with WOW factor?

joesmosax wrote:
I shoot a ton of headshots...but I'm looking inspiration. If you could post your favorite UNIQUE headshots(your work or links to others work) that would be amaing.

95% of what I shoot is on white or gray paper. There is a reason why these backdrop are common but I'm looking to change things up and add some accent pieces to my portfolio. Would love interesting backdrop and lighting ideas I can use in studio or on location.

Thanks!

Joe

Going from Hurley's example and others, I don't know if interesting backdrops and lighting ideas are what you need for headshots.

Interesting character and expression rule. Lighting and backdrops should be non-evident.

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:29 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #5 · Headshots with WOW factor?

Headshots should show the person's character and props, lighting, and backgrounds should all be transparent. If you call attention to anything other than the subject it is a failed headshot.

Sep 03, 2012 at 01:04 AM
FestivalFoto

p.1 #6 · Headshots with WOW factor?

For the "wow" factor, look at some of Dean Collins work from 10 to 20+ years ago (film era).

See if you can obtain the DVD "The Best of Dean Collins on Lighting" by Dean Collins and copies of his Finelight series. www.software-cinema.com may be able to help.

While Dean Collins pictures may be dated, Collins' work still to this day shows how to use lighting to obtain the "wow" factor you seek! Of course, you also have to direct the subject's expression for the right effect.

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Headshots with WOW factor?

It depends on what the headshots are for. There is a difference between a headshot of an executive of a company for their website and a high school senior. My point is that replies regarding that lighting should be transparent are not always true....again, depending on what it's for.

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:20 PM
joesmosax
• • •
p.1 #8 · Headshots with WOW factor?

Awesome thanks for the replies.

I have the Peter Hurley DVD- he's incredible.
Thanks for the Dean Collins suggestion, I will try to check it out.
Kelsey Edwards has some really nice stuff, definitely some good ideas in there.

Thanks!

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:44 AM
shortpballer
• • •
p.1 #9 · Headshots with WOW factor?

play around with your lighting, do things that people say not to do. I learned everything from trial and error (and smoking a little bit

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:01 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Headshots with WOW factor?

Our very own Jeff Mosier has an incredible portfolio: http://jeffreymosierphotography.com/

Sep 07, 2012 at 06:37 AM
joesmosax
• • •
p.1 #11 · Headshots with WOW factor?

sboerup wrote:
Our very own Jeff Mosier has an incredible portfolio: http://jeffreymosierphotography.com/

yes indeed....thanks for this. Great work...

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password