Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

blackshadow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

I'm thanking Smugmug for raising their prices! The reasons are at http://blackshadow.com.au/2012/10/thank-you-smugmug/

And my new website (WordPress + Photoshelter) is at http://blackshadow.com.au

It's not a cheaper solution, but for me it is much better.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:03 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

zenfolio is really good. try the free trial. you'll end up getting it in the end. have had it for 2 years now.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:25 PM
James Ramsey

p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

Am a smugmug member for life, these guys will bend over backwords for you.
and whats a another 100.00 a year, thats only 8.33 a month, just skip one meal.
most people eat 90-93 times a month, just skip one meal, and you covered...

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Mikeality

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

I swapped to Zenfolio and I'm very happy with it.

The interface is a breath of fresh air, much much easier to organise photos with their explorer like interface. The included ability for blogging is also handy and allows an all-in-one, neat and simple yet effective solution. Smugmug's layout was becoming a bit old and cluttered. Their interface for managing photos was a pain in the a$$. The price hike pushed me over the edge.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:15 AM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

A lot of us use it for proofing and occasional print sales, it's not our main website.

I was with Zen for a while, needed a change and went to SM... Yea they gave you back the ability to set a price list on their $150 a year account, but they give you a single price list. For $120 a year Zen gives you unlimited price lists... I have different prices for events I shot vs selling prints to the parents of my kids sport teams....

My subscription is up in May and I will not be renewing, come April I will be migrating everything over to Zen and I'm done with SM...

Jan 13, 2013 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

Jeff Donald wrote:
Poor business practices and naiveté does not translate to greed. I'm sure you're upset and want to vent, that's understandable. But there are more rational explanations than a simple one word reply of greed.

Mmmm...in today's corporate world, greed is pretty fair assessment. After all, they know that they have many people by the balls and switching to another provider is a pain in the ass. So they'll bite the bullet. And the rest that leave, oh well, it's all part of doing business. That's how corporate America is nowadays. They don't care about the small fish like you and I.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:45 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

Made the move to Zenfolio yesterday, and am amazed at how much easier it is to use than Smugmug, along with being far more configurable.

Should have done it a fair while ago, so thanks to SM for making me go and do it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:59 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

misty23 wrote:
Mmmm...in today's corporate world, greed is pretty fair assessment. After all, they know that they have many people by the balls and switching to another provider is a pain in the ass. So they'll bite the bullet. And the rest that leave, oh well, it's all part of doing business. That's how corporate America is nowadays. They don't care about the small fish like you and I.

Where do you see greed in this? My understanding SM hasn't raised their rates in like 5 years. Has any other service out there not raised their rates for 5 years. Has your wage been frozen form5 years...and if not, are you greedy?

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:16 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · SMUGMUG crazy rise in price... alternatives?

misty23 wrote:
Mmmm...in today's corporate world, greed is pretty fair assessment.

Actually, I put it down to utterly clueless business practices - no price rises for years, then a massive one? Stupid.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:21 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password