Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

bobbytan wrote:
Does it have IBIS? No? Game over!

While I'd love to have IBIS I don't necessarily see it as a deal-breaker.
Example #1: DSLR. Most of use/used Nikon or Canon system despite lacking IBIS as Pentax and Sony.
Example #2: Sony NEX. It's a very popular MILC despite lacking IBIS.

Why is that happening? Simple. Because they have other features which makes them a better choice for many photographers. Thus, when I will compare the GH3 to the OM-D the IBIS issue will be only one feature which will be considered.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

The reason I discounted IBIS when I was a Canon shooter is because IBIS systems didn't work all that well. OIS was way better overall, especially for longer lenses.

Even early Olympus m4/3 IBIS was pretty weak. It gained maybe a stop or so...sometimes two on short lenses.

The E-M5's IBIS changed all of that for me. Not only is it as good as the optical IS in most any lens, but it works really well even on really long lenses (I get two full stops at 1200mm equivalent!) and it stabilizes the viewfinder as well (which no DSLR IBIS can possibly do, and that no other current EVF IBIS does, though I presume future Olympus cams will all do this).

Now, while I still use my GX1 from time to time, it'd be really hard to pay good money an leave the E-M5's IBIS behind.

Obviously, if almost all your shooting is done tripod mounted or in great light, or action (where high shutter speeds are needed regardless), then IBIS is not nearly as important as some other features.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Jman13 wrote:
The reason I discounted IBIS when I was a Canon shooter is because IBIS systems didn't work all that well. OIS was way better overall, especially for longer lenses.

Even early Olympus m4/3 IBIS was pretty weak. It gained maybe a stop or so...sometimes two on short lenses.

The E-M5's IBIS changed all of that for me. Not only is it as good as the optical IS in most any lens, but it works really well even on really long lenses (I get two full stops at 1200mm equivalent!) and it stabilizes the viewfinder as well (which no DSLR IBIS can
...Show more

Jordan, did you miss the "I'd love to have IBIS" part? As a Canon shooter I bought many lenses just because they have IS (IQ and BQ should be great as well of course). I'm just saying that it is not a feature that will make or break a deal.

If my main kit would be non-stabilized primes (12-25-45-75) then it's very likely I'd choose the OM-D and the IBIS would be very important. Then again, if my main kit would be 12-35 and 35-100 then the IBIS feature will not be that important.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:56 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I understand.... I didn't mean you didn't have good reasons. I was just providing a counter point as to why, for me, it might currently be a dealbreaker, just because of how much I like it, and how much it helps me out. I also shot the GH2 for a year and a half, and I love the ergonomics and a lot of the great features of that camera. It was a great body. However, after shooting with the E-M5 for a while now, it'd be quite hard to go back to living without it, especially since my favorite lenses are the 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 75/1.8 and 7-14mm, none of which are stabilized.

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I think so as well. If Plastisonic wants to compete with Olympus at this point in the post OMD world, they're going to need to bring some form of IBIS!

There's no compensational features short of maybe 120fps continuous ff raw and a 2400 ultra high speed frame buffer. And even then they would need to pair that with a plahor of other pro level functions!

Sep 04, 2012 at 09:09 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

looks bigger than the a99.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:54 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
looks bigger than the a99.

It still have a long way to go.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Some other links for this:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh3/still_image_quality.html
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3

Sep 18, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.2 #9 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Looking at the specs seems Panny abandoned the over-sized multi-aspect ratio
sensor. GH2 may be the last of the breed. That is a significant loss, IMO. Not sure why they dumped it. I was waiting for Photokina to decide on a small kit option. I don't see anything obviously dethroning the OM-D, but not all the data is in.

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

It's not quite A99 size, but it is the same size as the A57:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#381,313

Sep 18, 2012 at 02:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Maybe it doesn't actually make that much difference? I mean with the GH1 I thought it was supposed to maintain 12mpx or be very close. And for the GH2 I thought it was supposed maintain 16mpx or close but it doesn't... Unless there's something I'm missing? If all it was was keeping the frame corners on the image circle perimeter then how much difference does that really make? Maybe almost none in actuality? <shrug>

GH2 Aspect Ratio Settings - Notice the MP number

SC-05D    4mm    f/2.7    1/19s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.2 #12 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Each aspect ratio results in a different crop of the over-sized sensor. The result is the image circle is used more efficiently (even 4:3) and a lens provides the same diagonal angle of view. See roll-over in dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCGH2

If the resolution lost in a straight crop makes a substantial difference I don't know, (experiment is do-able), but the multi-aspect ratio design is a more elegant approach, IMO.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.2 #13 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Ditto, without IBIS I'm not interested as it allows access to a whole universe of manual focus primes at unheard of handheld shutter speeds.

Also by making the camera larger, it kind of defeats the main selling point of Micro 4/3. If I want a larger camera with large grips, etc. I'd be looking at the new Canon 6D. Micro 4/3 has a fantastic niche of small bodies and small lenses, I'll take a small bodied OMD over this any day.

Sep 18, 2012 at 03:57 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Michael Gordon wrote:
If the resolution lost in a straight crop makes a substantial difference I don't know, (experiment is do-able), but the multi-aspect ratio design is a more elegant approach, IMO.

I agree... but I'm just not sure how important that elegance is to the end result is all. I have a hunch it's not much. <shrug> Like you say it would be pretty easy to find out through a little experimentation.

Qwerty64,

But then you lose the ability to adapt so many lenses! If it weren't so I would have already ditched 4/3 for a larger model - long ago.

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Here's an overlay showing how multi-aspect works. Two images, taken in 4:3 and 16:9 with the 7-14mm. It's much more apparent with wide-angle lenses, and can be a big deal. Still, I can't say that I've missed it as much as I expected to when switching from the GH2 to the OM-D.

The following shows the area of the image you would get in cropping a 4:3 to 16:9 rather than using the 16:9 native (which is the full image).

Sep 18, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Qwerty64 wrote:
Also by making the camera larger, it kind of defeats the main selling point of Micro 4/3. If I want a larger camera with large grips, etc. I'd be looking at the new Canon 6D.

From handling both 60D (same ergonomics of 6D) and GH2 (similar ergonomics to the GH3) I expect the GH3 to be much better in that regard. Size and weight are also different and when you factor in the lenses the difference becomes - at least IMHO - very significant.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 18, 2012 at 05:41 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.2 #17 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

All the AF speed claims always have seemed a bit silly to me when it comes to the m4/3 cameras because its always just for single shot AF, which has always been plenty quick on darn near every m4/3 body I've owned.

Now there are some cameras that were a bit slow in single shot, Sigma DP's, X1 pre f/w, X100 pre f/w etc, where it was painfully slow, but everything else is basically instant, assuming you've got the right lens.

No one is going to be able to tell if the GH3 is 1 miliseconds faster than the EM-5, its just to small of division of time to notice.

Its also realistically not going to make a difference in getting the shot or not, because at least in my experience street shooting, AF, fast or not, isn't reliable.

Sure the camera will focus on SOMETHING, but what good is focusing on the wrong part of the frame no matter how quickly it does it ??

Thats why I zone focus for that type of work where I want the decisive moment if you will. I want to simply frame the shot and not worry about whats in focus.

If I can raise the camera and have it focus perfectly and not have any shutter lag, great. But cameras can't read my mind and know what I wanted in focus, especially in a busy crowd shot with lots of different contrast subjects to choose from, or off center subjects.

Realistically I think single shot AF claims when faster than a base functional level are really empty marketing fodder with little real world significance.

Making a good tracking AF system that could come anywhere close to a good phase detect system ?

Now that would be HUGE for m4/3

Sep 18, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

Thanks Jman, Yeah, that's about how I envisioned it...

Sep 20, 2012 at 02:11 AM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #19 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

..and probably use the same Sony sensor on OM-D

http://www.43rumors.com/gh3-gets-dxomarked-is-on-par-with-the-e-m5/#comments

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · GH3 the fastest AF in the world ready to kick OM-D behind

I use my GH3 with 35-100 with the Power Optical Image Stabilization from the lens and have no issues with it that way, it is not game over if you have lens with the Power Optical Image Stabilization built into it, also use it for primes and my technique would be the same as using my dslr system with primes, so no biggy it doesn't have stabilization built into it, but if it had it that would be a nice addition on the GH3

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:43 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password