Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Excellent review Fred, very well written and the lack of hyperbole makes it that much nicer. If I didn't already have one I would be lusting for one now!!

Tim

Aug 31, 2012 at 03:50 PM
ggreene
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

I'm sure it did I was really just commenting on the test itself not being a good way to show the increased tracking accuracy.

Aug 31, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Nice camera for sports/wildlife. Not that much convincing for landscapes (even tho high ISO capabilities might open very interesting opportunities).

I enjoyed pics tho, very nice stuff.. (more than any other review, but thats what happens when real pro photographer do review ).

Aug 31, 2012 at 03:59 PM
araz
• • •
p.2 #4 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

"... As a landscape photographer myself, I would love to see a high megapixel camera with a sensor that prioritizes base ISO image quality with improved dynamic range and low signal-to-noise ratio at the expense of frames per second..."

Absolutely!

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:11 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Excellent review! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

Conclusion

We are all different photographers. We shoot landscape, wildlife, sports, weddings, news, etc... the list goes on. Canon's answer for all of us is their new, one size fits all, pro-camera, the Canon EOS-1D X. But, trying to satisfy the masses is a daunting task.

THIS is what we ALL need to understand that Fred summed up in one sentence.
From Canon's perspective, they have a unibody design that tries to meet everybody's needs - all photo aspects and even video with their EOS-1DC. No more multi-body issues from design, manufacturing and support. There is no way Canon (or any manufacturer) can make a camera designed to exactly what each of us want...and be at a price that each of us would agree to pay!

The fact is, a camera is just a tool. One that we use to make our jobs easier, but ultimately, it's our job to wield our tools to form and fashion the end result to our liking. And in about 2-3 years time, the next new model will be out with newer, better features that we'll individually love or hate.

From our perspective, as unique photographers - it is what it is. This is Canon's pinnacle flagship camera, a culmination of all their best technology based on their history of experience. We need to use it to it's ability for what we do, or use something else. I know that... thanks to Fred's web site... I see amazing photos with just about any/every camera out there, so I know it's not the camera that makes a photo... it's the photographer!

Again, Fred, thanks for the honest review. It should help plenty of us know what to expect with the latest and greatest!

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:43 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

good review Fred, as all your reviews are, gear reviews from a photographer, and nice picks!

Joe

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:48 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Great thorough review Fred, it looks like a great camera. For our purposes we decided to go with two 1DMIVs and two 5DIIIs.

Rod

Aug 31, 2012 at 04:57 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Very nicely done, Fred. You should do wildlife photography more often.

Aug 31, 2012 at 05:00 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.2 #9 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you Fred. Fine review so far. Yes, How did you manage to rent the cheetah? I did not find a "cheetahrentals.com" anywhere.

Ralph

Fred's in Southern California, I think. Anything's possible in Hollywood. Just google "exotic animal actors". Even so, stunt cheetahs appear to be rather rare!

Aug 31, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

araz wrote:
"... As a landscape photographer myself, I would love to see a high megapixel camera with a sensor that prioritizes base ISO image quality with improved dynamic range and low signal-to-noise ratio at the expense of frames per second..."

Absolutely!

+1

Nice review, Fred!

Aug 31, 2012 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jerbear00
• • •
p.2 #11 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Thanks Fred! I think any camera looking amazing attached to a super tele... So sexy.

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Ralph, he's from southern California.
It would be weird if he didn't have a Cheetah for his house cat.

Ralph Conway wrote:
Thank you Fred. Fine review so far. Yes, How did you manage to rent the cheetah? I did not find a "cheetahrentals.com" anywhere.

Would you be so kind and answer PPs and pipspeaks comments? I am interested in your suggestion/oppinion/experience, too.

Ralph

Edited on Aug 31, 2012 at 06:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:46 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

John_T wrote:
Thank you Fred for a real photographer's review!

Unfortunately too many reviewers never make it out of the lab, approach it like trying to find life by dissecting a frog and are not satisfied until they have succeeded in meticulously killing it.

wait until part 2

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:47 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Had some friends that had a pair of cheetahs as house cats. A little big as house cats go, but unlike house cats they would chase balls too so they didn't need a dog either.

Aug 31, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Fred, I love you, your photos are awesome, great review, but I have to ask - why such low-res low-quality photos in this review? I downloaded one that was 174 kb

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Pixel Perfect wrote:
So Fred, one thing you didn't really comment on in your excellent review, was do you really think the 1D X is worth the extra $3.2K over the 5D III? It's obviously a better camera overall, but 5D III is no slouch and even bests the 1D IV AF, with better IQ and is only 10% behind the 1D IV for pixel density.

It is worth the money for those who need 12 FPS.
Otherwise, the 5D III is a great full frame alternative.
Take care,
Fred

Sep 01, 2012 at 05:30 AM
markymarc
• •
p.2 #17 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

Always impressed when folks have access to cheetahs to do their AF testing.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:35 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

markymarc wrote:
Always impressed when folks have access to cheetahs to do their AF testing.

Totally agree. It's almost like how Top Gear tested the Bugatti Veyron against a jet just to see how quickly it goes.

Sep 01, 2012 at 12:46 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

@ Fred, thank you for your nicely balanced, informative review; your 5D3 and D800 side-by-side as well!; beautiful images throughout both posts! A 1DX is out of reach but not the 5D3...early next year cross fingers!

@ Ralph and All,

San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park are just down south of Fred, about 45/50 miles; less than an hour away, about 90 miles; an hour and 1/2 for me. If you ever get to the SoCal area they are both do-not-miss shooting destinations for those Cheetah like wild critters...there is Big-Cats-R-US if you dare

The California coastline ain't to bad either, Fred's San Clemente (it's downtown and pier), Newport and Huntington Beaches; NB's Back Bay, HB's Wetlands, Catalina Island, the LA beaches n canyons, Big Sur, Morro Bay, Missions galore (San Juan Capistrano is wonderful) and others, nor are several inland areas like Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, the Sequoias and there's that little valley of ours known as Yosemite!

Born and raised in SoCal, having surfed, sailed, hiked, climbed and now rolling about most of our golden state, I might be somewhat bias to it's beauty...naaaaaaaah

Jerry

Sep 01, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda

@ StillFingerz:
As far I remember I have been 5 times in the States. I love NY. And San Franzisco.

Sep 01, 2012 at 04:01 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password