Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · shooting with uncle bobs.

gmtucek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · shooting with uncle bobs.

BGP1 wrote:
Everybody has a story about uncle bob. Last week for me it was the grooms parents during the ceremony specifically the father of the groom. He sat in the front row taking pictures almost the entire time. I have a shot of him I have been debating to post because it's pretty funny but sad and irritating at the same time.

Let's see that shot, kindly

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:24 AM
swoop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · shooting with uncle bobs.

maxwell1295 wrote:
I love grits.

and eggs...

and bacon...

but especially grits...

Grits are/is disgusting. It's like someone put sand in mashed potatoes.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · shooting with uncle bobs.

swoop wrote:
Grits are/is disgusting. It's like someone put sand in mashed potatoes.

That just means you had crappy grits...

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.2 #4 · shooting with uncle bobs.

ksmahgrts wrote:
yes.

i have feet.

i would use them to move left/right/forward/back/other to avoid obstacles that may happen to fall into my path.

i have a brain.

i would use it to evaluate a situation, and determine a course of action.

i have a mama & daddy who raised me right.

they taught me that i'm not the center of the universe.
they taught me to be empathetic, and self-aware, and accountable to myself.
they taught me to be polite, and charming, and to face adversity not with an eff-you-guys, pissy attitude, but instead as a problem-solver.

my advice for "dealing with uncle bobs" is
...Show more

This is good! I usually get a minimum of 4-10 UBs at EVERY Indian and Nigerian wedding. You just have to work with it.

Aug 31, 2012 at 02:17 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.2 #5 · shooting with uncle bobs.

maxwell1295 wrote:
I love grits.

and eggs...

and bacon...

but especially grits...

Um, I don't know. I think I'd like her better if she wasn't so wishy-washy and would just say what she really feels. ;-)

Aug 31, 2012 at 03:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #6 · shooting with uncle bobs.

LivLif wrote:
I usually get a minimum of 4-10 UBs at EVERY Indian and Nigerian wedding.

Never have. Never will.

Edited on Aug 31, 2012 at 11:08 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2012 at 05:00 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.2 #7 · shooting with uncle bobs.

ksmahgrts--Perfectly stated!
Why do some of us consider anyone else with a camera as the enemy?
I shoot performing arts, concerts, etc. There are always a hundred other cameras in my way.
How do I deal with that? I have to be better!
Sometimes, I get good ideas from the competition, and I wouldn't want to lock down the shoot.
Think of it as showing that you ARE a professional.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #8 · shooting with uncle bobs.

ksmahgrts wrote:
yes.

i have....

snip

it is not about us, we can ignore it, we get paid regardless.

it is about couples, to help them to get most of their wedding because most of them simply have no experience with weddings. my couples get annoyed even more from UBs then i am. but they do not know how bad it can be until it is too late.
little effort for unplugged wedding can make a big difference.

never had a priest run away from church because of UBs?
i guess i can then use my brain and wedding experience to jump in and finish the ceremony right?

i sure am not center of universe, but that day, the couple is center of (my and their) universe. And if somebody (UB) was not raised properly to know that they are not center of universe, then somebody can inform them. It helps to make the world a better place.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #9 · shooting with uncle bobs.

classy

yep, was funny first time, then i realized i will have to live with it for the rest of the day.

Nov 05, 2012 at 03:28 AM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #10 · shooting with uncle bobs.

I went to a wedding last month as a guest. Turned out I was the uncle bob. Like I was literally the only one who took a photo at the ceremony. And I shot from my seat with a 7 year old P&S because it's the only P&S I own. I felt so awkward being the only one with a camera I took about 10 shots the whole wedding. I'd never seen anything like it before.

That's the wedding photographer in the corner.

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #11 · shooting with uncle bobs.

they probably had agreement that they dont want to have ceremony disturbed.
in first photo you helped nobody with this kind of shot, in second you duplicated and disturbed pro`s shot. either way you are UB

Nov 05, 2012 at 04:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #12 · shooting with uncle bobs.

swoop wrote:
I took about 10 shots the whole wedding.

That's about 10 too many.

Nov 05, 2012 at 06:21 PM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #13 · shooting with uncle bobs.

D. Diggler wrote:
That's about 10 too many.

How else am I supposed to build my portfolio.

Nov 05, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.2 #14 · shooting with uncle bobs.

i know you are probably trolling but in case that not, trust me, you don't want such photos for your portfolio. shoot your own wedding, even for free.
this gives you experience, shows you how horrible it is to work with UBs behind your back and last but not least you can say that you had "x" weddings done already

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:14 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #15 · shooting with uncle bobs.

swoop wrote:

Trolling? You are better than those shots, I am a bit surprised if they are actually yours.

Nov 05, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #16 · shooting with uncle bobs.

, applause.

To the OP, just bring a taser. You'll only need to use it once, if you time it right.

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:29 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.2 #17 · shooting with uncle bobs.

Check out this UB. Literally laid on the floor in front of the couple to get some awesome artistic shots. When he wasn't laying down on the ground he was standing up dead center blocking everyones view making full use of his pop-up flash and live view. .

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:10 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #18 · shooting with uncle bobs.

BostonGreg wrote:
he was standing up dead center blocking everyones view making full use of his pop-up flash

In my experience, Uncle Bobs are usually using consumer-level gear but last weekend I worked this high-end gig where everyone had money. Had to deal with THREE Uncle Bobs - each one using pro-grade gear including Speedlights. Oh ... and atleast one of them was crouching down (like a stereotypical "pro") when he was taking dance floor shots at the reception.

P.S. I never crouch.

Aug 12, 2013 at 04:40 AM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #19 · shooting with uncle bobs.

A wedding a did about a month ago had a really bad one. Every time I set up a shoot he had to take one too. Now the thing is I don't compete. If a family member wants to take a picture I don't feel it's any of my business to say no. After about the 5th time or so.you could tell the groom was getting really upset about having to wait for Uncle Joe to Get his shot before I took mine.

And at another wedding I was doing formals and the father of the bride had me photograph every group pose with his phone. Which I did before I took my shot. His daughter eventually told him no more after the fourth time or so.

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:26 PM
jforkner
• •
p.2 #20 · shooting with uncle bobs.

I am not a wedding photographer, but I do have an opinion about this subject. Every so often, thereís another thread complaining about others taking photos at a wedding (Uncle Bobs) and what to do about it.

My first thought is to tell the author to get over themselves and just deal with it. What do you do if the weather crumps or thereís a power outage or some other unforeseen contingency? You just deal with it. Accept the fact that others will take photos and move on. Besides, why are you the only one allowed to take photos at a wedding?

It seems to me that ultimately itís the bride & grooms responsibility to control the guests---after all, itís their wedding. If having others take photos at their wedding doesnít bother them, why does it bother you? If it does (or will bother you), then discuss it with the bride & groom before the ceremony and let them deal with it. Let them know the potential problems it may cause. If they want only you to take photos, then itís up to them to notify the guests of that. If they donít care if others take photos, then you just have to deal with it. If you canít, then perhaps youíre in the wrong business.

I find it humorous that Uncle Bobs seem to exist only in wedding photography. In landscape photography, if another photographer is in the spot you prefer, you either wait or work around them. You donít assign some silly nickname to them, and start a thread wondering what to do about it.

Come-on. Accept the fact that you canít control every aspect of the shoot and be prepared to deal with any contingency that may come along.

Jack

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:13 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password