Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I use aspirin.

I use something stronger...

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:58 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.4 #2 · Best Tablet for Photography?

knower wrote:
I spend a lot of time sorting out what to buy.

In the end I didn't find anything better than the Transformer Infinity Pad.

It has full HD resolution, which is enough for displaying pictures. Its screen is very very good and quite accurate.
Not as high res as the new Nexus, or the iPad, but who really cares?

I think the other things it offers are way more important for a photographer tablet.
I bought the dock, also, which basically makes the tablet a laptop.

In the tablet itself, apart from the internal memory, there is a microSD slot, which can be used to expand
...Show more

This sounds like a tab I'd like. I have the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16gb w/ no micoSD slot and it's pretty much just good for web surfing.

Can this tab be upgraded to jellybean os? My samsung updated to it and it seemed to run better/faster.

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:31 PM
lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Arka wrote:
I wish Surface Pro had released contemporaneously with RT... or that they hadn't even bothered with RT. The Pro product as hte potential to be very interesting.

I agree. I think the Surface Pro will be the definitive solution out there. It won't be cheap, but I think it provides good value. Plus, you can run Lightroom on it! 4GB isn't a whole lot in 2013, but it'll be sufficient for the things that you'll do in the field or in your hotel room. I'm definitely going to be getting one and I'll give my iPad 4 to my dad.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · Best Tablet for Photography?

But the SP keyboards are pretty terrible aren't they? With a KB like that might as well just forgot one all together and use the on-screen one. That's what I thought when I evaluated them anyway...

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · Best Tablet for Photography?

there are 2 physical keyboard options. as to each ones "usefulness" it will be relative to the user.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Oh, there's two? That's cool!

But I can't agree on the relativity factor. There's not a person on the planet who likes or appreciates any of the qualities of a totally flat tactile-less "keyboard". Watch I'll prove it to you:

Anyone here like'm?

See? No one!

What's the other option BTW?

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · Best Tablet for Photography?

1- original touch cover
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/touch-cover

2- thicker more tactile type cover with short stroke mechanical keys
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/accessories/type-cover

using BT4 you will have 3rd party keyboard options already available in many sizes and shapes.

really desperate? just plug a USB keyboard into the Surfaces USB port

flat tactile less keyboards are the rage or didn't you know it. pretty much every android and apple based device that includes up to the ipad uses them as a primary data input. but using them sorta cuts into the visual space of your screen and also varies in size due to orientation. any of them using BT* or that have a usable hardware I/O port can sport a specifically designed keyboard

*probably with apple it must be a special approved higher priced version so they get their cut no matter what. this has been proven with real GPS units when off the cell grid.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Yeah, I've had a KB, mouse, XBox controller, and an external HDD connected to my Galaxy Note. Just plug them in and they work. Dunno about Apple but it's probably like you say.

But I think just because people are forced to use software keyboards doesn't mean anyone actually likes them.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:28 AM
justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Bifurcator wrote:
Yeah, I've had a KB, mouse, XBox controller, and an external HDD connected to my Galaxy Note. Just plug them in and they work. Dunno about Apple but it's probably like you say.

But I think just because people are forced to use software keyboards doesn't mean anyone actually likes them.

Yup. Pretty much the same with my Galaxy S3 (9300/International). With an AC-powered USB hub I can connect multiple peripherals (keyboard + mouse... or just use bluetooth), USB 2.0 card reader, and multiple, 500GB, usb-powered hard drives. So I can essentially use the phone (16GB + 64 GB MicroSD) to make multiple HDD backups of images from my cameras. I can also import GoPro or other video footage and it will play at full speed.

Pretty great way to stay light and have backups.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · Best Tablet for Photography?

some will go "commando" and i did it too when i was younger. I have been waiting for the "inbetween" . I wanted more but less. i personally found a more balanced approach in the pro.

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Just came back from the MS store after playing with the Surface Pro.
i5
4GB ram
128 GB SSD in a nicely sized usable package

used both types of snap on keyboards. I guess I adapt well as I could easily use both.

quick machine

4+hrs of use on battery (not great but i'll survive)

color is equivalent to my now daughters ipad. and the retina display really does not make a whole lotta difference when viewing on a 10.5 inch screen. so that is moot.

after removing the recovery partition and assorted not needed software I will have approx 80+GB of space to fill with my needs and that is not including the optional up to 64GB micro sdxc slot.

no I won't be putting PS or any other hardcore editing programs on it.

pretty good way to stay reasonably light and still have the power to do other things with minimal accessorizing.

will pick it up Saturday morning and I have 14 days to make it work my way or return it for refund.

oh I forgot. it can easily use other OS's too.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · Best Tablet for Photography?

For me with those specs and for the purpose you mention I'd rather use a Galaxy tablet.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
10.1-inch Multitouch 720p HD Screen (1280 x 800)
16GB Internal Memory; microSD expansion up to 32GB
Wireless N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n); Bluetooth 3.0,GPS Enabled with Latitude, Google Maps
1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Weight: 1.3 pounds
L x W x H: 6.90 x 0.38 x 10.10 (inches)

For $270... and maybe add $50 or so for a class(10) 64GB microSD

And I guess next year's model will have USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0 - which will make it just about perfect.

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 11:12 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Bifurcator wrote:
For me with those specs and for the purpose you mention I'd rather use a Galaxy tablet.

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
10.1-inch Multitouch 720p HD Screen (1280 x 800)
16GB Internal Memory; microSD expansion up to 32GB
Wireless N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n); Bluetooth 3.0,GPS Enabled with Latitude, Google Maps
1GHz Dual-Core Processor
Weight: 1.3 pounds
L x W x H: 6.90 x 0.38 x 10.10 (inches)

For $270

there you have it then.

GPS enabled with latitude? what the? all GPS unit give lat/long amongst other data. yeah the MS does not have GPS built in but has BT4.0 and i'm very happy about that. but not for the same reasons you would be.
but with all that and your wifi on they (and you know who) can find you so easily.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I think they meant to say Altitude... but...

Yeah I edited as you posted... pretty much the same thing about USB3 (critical IMO) and the bluetooth4.

And yeah, for sure... it's a spy device. No questions about that. It even has a camera and mic that can be remotely accessed when the device is turned off.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Bifurcator wrote:
I think they meant to say Altitude... but...

Yeah I edited as you posted... pretty much the same thing about USB3 (critical IMO) and the bluetooth4.

And yeah, for sure... it's a spy device. No questions about that. It even has a camera and mic that can be remotely accessed when the device is turned off.

but can it run my camera control software?
can it run most of my existing software?

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.4 #16 · Best Tablet for Photography?

To me, the single most important thing a tablet will need to do is allow me to transfer my images from XQD or CF via USB 3 and allow me to comfortably view them. Then it can serve as my portable back-up device.

The ipad is useless to me because I can't easily get my images on it (both raw and jpg).

I can see how an upgraded Galaxy with USB 3 could do that job, but little more.

The Surface Pro, being a computer that runs full software packages as opposed to Apps is appealing but comes at considerably more expense, added weight and less battery life . . . tradeoffs that I can probably live with, but will wait to see how others fare with it before taking the plunge myself.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · Best Tablet for Photography?

yeah, i'll buy in. got my ipad for free a few months ago by winning it (imagine, something I thought to be so useless and I win it and in the end proved to be just that) so no harm no foul. money not wasted on junk food. also looking into the sony duo 11. 8gb ram and 256GB. bigger screen by an inch too. just sort of down on sony's data product history

it would take a bit more then those minor upgrades to make a usable product out of the galaxy. don't kid yourself.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:11 AM
1KIND
• •
p.4 #18 · Best Tablet for Photography?

davidnholtjr wrote:
This sounds like a tab I'd like. I have the old Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 16gb w/ no micoSD slot and it's pretty much just good for web surfing.

Can this tab be upgraded to jellybean os? My samsung updated to it and it seemed to run better/faster.

Asus Transformer Infinity has Ice Cream Sandwich out of the box. I just bought one and it was 4.0.3. After connecting it to my network, there was and Asus update. Didn't check to see what version it was on but if it wasn't upgraded to JB, it will get Jellybean update once its released. The Infinity is Asus' flagship tablet.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · Best Tablet for Photography?

i guess you'll have to wait and see.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · Best Tablet for Photography?

sjms wrote:
i guess you'll have to wait and see.

I'll take a Windows 8 device over an iOS/Android cripple-tab any day of the week. I was really impressed with Surface Pro and might pick one up myself. I think I'll spring for a BT keyboard though, and I will definitely put a copy of PS and Painter on it. The included stylus is sweet for drawing and sketching.

Arka C.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:27 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password