Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Best Tablet for Photography?

bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Hello:

Just asking what's the best tablet for showing your pics\portfolio to clients?

A lot of people say iPad.... sad to say I don't like iPads... any other suggestions?

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Best Tablet for Photography?

If you just want to show a few images of what you do, without being a complete bore to those who really don't care about photography, then may I suggest that you get an iPod nano.

There is one which comes with 18 watch interfaces and has plenty of room to store images for sharing.

If you don't like iPads then integrate your image sharing into one of the newer phones.

I think I detect that you are anti Apple.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #3 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Hard to define "best" because showing photos is not very demanding task for any tablet. Just choose one based on size and price. I'm using iPad since I use it also for other tasks and I am not afraid of the Apple logo on the other side. I do also like its high resolution display.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM
farski
• •
p.1 #4 · Best Tablet for Photography?

If you don't like iPads you probably won't like tablets. Hardware-wise they're all pretty much the same. The difference is really in software, and as far as software for showing photos and portfolios, there's pretty high parity between android and iOS. The Nexus 7 is a very nice device, and smaller than the iPad if that's what you're looking for, but as far as objective differences for this use case, it's not going to be all that different. Tough to match the newest iPad for resolution, so if you're concerned about IQ, it's probably your safest bet until October.

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:13 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I would focus first on the software you want to display your images. There are some good apps and some clunkers. Some let you do branding and display your images in frames, etc. Decide what features you want since this is a big part of the image you project to potential customers.

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:19 PM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #6 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I guess the best tablet should have a HDMI and a USB port so that a camera or an USB stick can be used to display photographs. Dont know if there is a tablet which is made to use it in this fashion though.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #7 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I like my Toshiba Thrive. It has a full size SD card slot full size USB port, micro USB port, and HDMI out.

Sep 01, 2012 at 08:45 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Best Tablet for Photography?

bushwacker wrote:
Hello:

Just asking what's the best tablet for showing your pics\portfolio to clients?

A lot of people say iPad.... sad to say I don't like iPads... any other suggestions?

Well if you want to impress clients, get over it and get the best, an iPad.

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Best Tablet for Photography?

it hasn't come out just yet.

Sep 03, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #10 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Looks like some people don't understand what you mean by "I don't like iPads".

If you want a high resolution screen right now there are only two in the Android arena.

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T
Acer Iconia Tab A700

My suggestion is don't get the Acer. From some reviews it looks like they really didn't optimized the tablet, or some small changes Acer did to the rather almost stock android didn't go well. Another tablet you might want to consider if resolution isn't key and it's smaller is the Galaxy Tab 7.7. Has a Super AMOLED Plus that I've heard is a stunner to look at. But that screen unfortunately commands a premium price. But there are so many to chose from, but those are my top two recommendations.

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Best Tablet for Photography?

The best android based tablet is the Asus Transformer. I'm a dedicated android fan, but unfortunately for displaying photos, the iPad is the best. Highest resolution, nicest screen, great colors. I'm in the same boat as you at the moment, trying to hold off for as long as possible, preferably some android based tablet with the Exynos 5250 CPU in it with 25601600 resolution and the new Mali gpu. I'd be in heaven.

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Best Tablet for Photography?

Edward Castro wrote:
Looks like some people don't understand what you mean by "I don't like iPads".

A professional photographer would be more concerned about what his clients like best.

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:30 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #13 · Best Tablet for Photography?

My wife has an ipad2. When the ipad3 came out and I saw some of my flickr shots on it I was amazed in the resolution difference.

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:52 PM
kingravan
• •
p.1 #14 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I can relate to you OP! I have been looking for a tablet with this primary purpose in common - to use as a portfolio! I went with the Asus Transformer Prime TF201. As much as I like it for what it is and the fact that I can use DSLR Remote to tether it with my Canon gear, I am now coming to the understanding that none of these Andro/iOS tablets can be calibrated for proper display! This became my first nag... and then I looked at the Windows 8 based tablets on the horizon, where you can actually also use Photoshop!!! Well... my decision seems rather clear... unload the andro/iOS intermediate devices and wait for a full-featured tablet PC!!!

In the meantime... seriously... I've seen portable HD monitors for $150 which will do... or go with a Nexus like device that is small and has many other, everyday functions.

Cheers!

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:10 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Best Tablet for Photography?

kingravan wrote:
I can relate to you OP! I have been looking for a tablet with this primary purpose in common - to use as a portfolio! I went with the Asus Transformer Prime TF201. As much as I like it for what it is and the fact that I can use DSLR Remote to tether it with my Canon gear, I am now coming to the understanding that none of these Andro/iOS tablets can be calibrated for proper display! This became my first nag... and then I looked at the Windows 8 based tablets on the horizon, where you can actually
...Show more

For what its worth, both android and iOS have a version of Photoshop that works decently. It won't replace a home desktop, but its adequate.

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Best Tablet for Photography?

As well as that, there is a way to wireless tether the iPad to any Camera. Either with the EyeFi card or using an app called shuttersnitch. I capture RAW and Sm jpg and send the jpg to the iPad. Within a couple of seconds the shot displays on the iPad.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:55 PM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #17 · Best Tablet for Photography?

If you are looking for display purposes I think you could find competitors for the iPad 1 & 2, but who matches the new display in the ipad 3? I see a substantial difference with the iPad 3 and can't imagine showing pictures on any other tablet right now.

Sep 07, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Best Tablet for Photography?

sperraglia wrote:
If you are looking for display purposes I think you could find competitors for the iPad 1 & 2, but who matches the new display in the ipad 3? I see a substantial difference with the iPad 3 and can't imagine showing pictures on any other tablet right now.

I have yet to get my hands on one yet to really check it out, but the new Kindle HD announced this week has great resolution specs. Several media reports are calling the pixel density and resolution the first real competitor to the Retina on iPad 3.

Here is one good example comparing to two; http://www.extremetech.com/computing/135646-kindle-fire-hd-8-9-vs-ipad-3-is-the-apple-experience-really-worth-200

Sep 07, 2012 at 07:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Best Tablet for Photography?

until one of these companies introduces an actual universal I/O port (USB) that is usable for data (that is not in some way crippled by the maker) all the nifty eye candy stuff is merely what it is. i won an IP3 but have found for it to be seriously used requires too much peripheral junk to make it usable as a tool. i'll sit this one out and play angry birds on it and read my email. hey at least it was free and free is nice most of the time.

Sep 08, 2012 at 11:47 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Best Tablet for Photography?

I use the iPad. Process my images on my desktop. Move processed images to my Dropbox account. Using the portfolio app on my iPad, I directly import images from the Dropbox account. Really very simple and quick.

The iPad has a wonderful rich display. The ability to pass around the iPad between people is the key feature of the iPad thst really makes it work. Clients and customers love the gadget.

Sep 08, 2012 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password