Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

JSPHOTOS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

I'm with you trying to find a 21mm espressogeek. I've been looking a for a couple of weeks now. It's weird how they have become so scarce. I sold one a couple of months back and now kicking myself. Amazon has one used one but the price is not that attractive. I would rather pay $100 more and get a new one with warranty.

I would like to know too about purchasing overseas. My guess is getting it serviced by a U.S distributor would be problematic? I'm not sure if the Zeiss lenses are marked like Nikon in that it would be considered "Grey" market. If so, that would limit resell opportunities in the U.S. as many want a U.S. lens. Not that I will ever resell mine if I get my hands on one. Definitely bookmarking this thread.

Jim
<><

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:38 PM
espressogeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Jsphotos, I posted on the CZ Facebook page and they directed me to a page where I can contact the rep the the US. I've emailed him and hopefully I will hear something back soon. Now I need to put together a filter kit for it as nothing I have will work.

Sep 03, 2012 at 07:52 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #3 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Great! Please PM or respond here with any info. Thanks!

In the past, I used a B+W 110 and a Tiffen ND grad on my 21 with great success. I had a hard time finding 82mm filters from the normal sources (Amazon, B&H, etc.) then found them at Filter Connection. Andrea is their CS rep and fantastic to deal with. I try to purchase all my filters from them now.

Please keep me posted.

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:02 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.2 #4 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

JSPHOTOS, ill call filter connection today. The zeiss rep responded to me and informed me that there was a backorder and I shouldn't expect to see the lens for another 2 to 3 months. He also said the zeiss international warranty would be invalid should I buy the lens overseas and experience a problem. :-(

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:14 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #5 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Thanks for the update! I just spoke to Andrea at Filter Connection (www.2filter.com/) and as usual they are nice as ever. It looks like the Nikkor 14-24 is going to be in the bag for the Fall season. Really wish I could get my hands on a Zeiss 21. Keep an eye on the Buy / Sell board as they come up from time to time. Go Vols / Vanderbilt.

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:51 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Wonder what is causing the problem?
Is there a chance that one of the special types of glass in the lens is not being made anymore and they have to change the design a bit to accommodate a different type of glass?

Sep 04, 2012 at 04:01 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

I don't know. Zeiss owns Schott, which is where I presume the glass is coming from. I wonder if there is an update in the works?

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:06 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.2 #8 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

If there is room to improve then I am all for an update of any lens. JSPHOTOS, At the risk of getting off topic I have a question. Do you ever shoot any of the falls and cascades in Tennessee?

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:40 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #9 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Don't mess with what works is my motto. The 21 is such a stellar lens I'm not sure how much more they could improve it?

I have three hours left before I have to pull the trigger on the 14-24 for it to arrive by the weekend ... fingers crossed someone will post a 21 in the buy / sell or just PM me. Hint-hint. Come on Carstenw you really don't need your 21mm. I'll buy you a few Bitburger's too.

Sep 04, 2012 at 05:41 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #10 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

espressogeek - I've not shot the local rivers and falls as much as I would like to. The sad part is I grew up here. I was hoping to remedy some of that this Fall. We definitely need to get together both in Knoxville and Nashville to shoot some long exposures.

Here's a few shots from my flickr stream. Click the photo to see it on Flickr and view the location / EXIF data. Look around my stream and in my lens set to see those shot with the 21mm.

Snow Falls by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

River of Dreams by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

Knoxville Skyline

Knoxville Skyline by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #11 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

PM sent to you espressogeek

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:26 PM
dcjs
• •
p.2 #12 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

carstenw wrote:
I don't know. Zeiss owns Schott,...

Not really, Carl Zeiss AG and Schott AG are independent companies which are owned by the Carl Zeiss Stiftung. They may have a somewhat privileged business connection because of the common owner, but this does not suggest that Zeiss is in a position to simply give orders to Schott. Besides, Zeiss doesn't exclusively use Schott glass.

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:08 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

JSPHOTOS wrote:
Come on Carstenw you really don't need your 21mm. I'll buy you a few Bitburger's too.

Haha, but i am a Weizenbier (or ale) guy i have two 21s: ZF and ZF.2! The ZF is for sale, but at European prices

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

JSPHOTOS wrote:
Don't mess with what works is my motto. The 21 is such a stellar lens I'm not sure how much more they could improve it?

Two words: moustache distortion. The sharpness is also very good, but not at the same level as the MPs...

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:48 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #15 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

carstenw wrote:
Two words: moustache distortion. The sharpness is also very good, but not at the same level as the MPs...

Isn't that an easy fix in ACR or Lightroom with Adobe's profiles?

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:38 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.2 #16 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

I thought the mustache distortion was an easy fix in LR if you shoot raw.

Carstenw, what is an MP? A Macro Planar?

I need to correct something I said earlier. I re-read the email the Zeiss rep sent me and he said the if you bought a lens from an authorized reseller in Germany the international warranty would be in effect. I'm not sure why I thought he said it wouldn't be. However, he also said he you would need to contact Zeiss in Germany to deal with any service issues.

JSPHOTOS, yes lets get together sometime and shoot some frames in Knoxville, Nashville, or in between.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:09 AM
espressogeek
• • •
p.2 #17 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

JSPHOTOS wrote:
espressogeek - I've not shot the local rivers and falls as much as I would like to. The sad part is I grew up here. I was hoping to remedy some of that this Fall. We definitely need to get together both in Knoxville and Nashville to shoot some long exposures.

Here's a few shots from my flickr stream. Click the photo to see it on Flickr and view the location / EXIF data. Look around my stream and in my lens set to see those shot with the 21mm.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7141/6796711319_0e393f938d_b.jpg
Snow Falls by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6320843460_ee80237549_b.jpg
River of by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

Knoxville Skyline

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6063/6116339946_6c9a5bc710_b.jpg
Knoxville Skyline by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

...Show more

They are all good frames. I'm partial to the last shot as I'm a sucker for good cityscapes and I've never seen a nice pic of Knoxville before.

Sep 05, 2012 at 01:12 AM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.2 #18 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Thanks Mark. New 14-24 ... and ... Zeiss 21 on the way tomorrow. Don't ask. At least I can do a comparison over the weekend. FYI: Amazon is running 24 months interest free on select lenses that are purchased directly from them. Free money is always nice.

Sep 05, 2012 at 04:02 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

I haven't tried to correct the distortion in LR yet, I am a bit slow on the uptake of that feature. But whenever pixels are moved around, sharpness suffers, there is no silver bullet.

Sep 05, 2012 at 06:09 AM
espressogeek
• • •
p.2 #20 · Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F/2.8 ZF.2

Carstenew, that is a good point about moving pixels around. I suppose it comes down to what the end product looks like. I'll post the results back here , along with some full size samples, if anyone is interested. JSPHOTOS, maybe we could get together and throw the 14-24 in the mix.

Sep 05, 2012 at 02:34 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password