Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

Just curious what others are doing? We shoot with an elinchrom bxri 500 or dlite flash, vagabond mini, 39" deep octabox and use a painter's pole for a light stand.

We get great lighting from this. Much better than when we used to shoot speedlites but I'm curious if there is something in between that is a bit easier to lug around that gets equivalent results (not interested in going back to speedlites)

Of course there is lumadyne, qflash, etc...

With the 39", we get great lighting up to about 3/4 length at the normal flash to subject distance but have to pull back further to get full length coverage and then of course, the light becomes more harsh. I've considered bringing my 53" octobox but I definitely don't want to be lugging that through a park or at the beach!

Also, my wife does hair/makeup retouching and if she's holding the pole, it's hard for her to get in and do touchups so we're considering bringing along a light stand instead of the pole but of course that adds some weight and then we have to worry about sandbags, etc.

Thoughts?

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:59 PM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

I use Metz 60 and 70 series for outdoors. Generally gives me enough power and is very portable

Aug 24, 2012 at 02:03 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

pr4photos wrote:
I use Metz 60 and 70 series for outdoors. Generally gives me enough power and is very portable

i want to avoid the speedlight lens though. I wish metz made a bare-bulb flash.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #4 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

I've used the Q-flash powered by Lumnedyne Quickcyclers and set-up with standard reflectors and barebulb. They work well enough for a touch of fill outdoors.
Recently I've been testing the Einstiens with the mini lithium batteries using thier beauty dish. I like the results and the beauty dish is easier to manage than softboxes, especially with wind. I find it's still a lot to haul by yourself if you need to move quickly.
By the way I enjoy your posts!
Tom

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

Since you use Elinchrom already, why not take a look at Quadras? 400 watt-seconds and lighter than speedlites.

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:22 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

what would the advantage of the quadras over the BXRI or DLites be?

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:43 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

Tom Robinson wrote:
I've used the Q-flash powered by Lumnedyne Quickcyclers and set-up with standard reflectors and barebulb. They work well enough for a touch of fill outdoors.
Recently I've been testing the Einstiens with the mini lithium batteries using thier beauty dish. I like the results and the beauty dish is easier to manage than softboxes, especially with wind. I find it's still a lot to haul by yourself if you need to move quickly.
By the way I enjoy your posts!
Tom

Thanks Tom. We have a beauty dish too but haven't used it on location. How does the dish work for full length? Does it get harsh when you pull it back far enough for that? One thing I do like about the einsteins is the low power settings. I wish the BXRI flash could go down to 9ws like the einstein. The DLite2 goes down to 12ws which is close enough I guess. Do you have the TTL qflash or manual? QFlash is appealing but it gets expensive real quickly when you add the ttl and I don't like the non standard battery packs and connectors.

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:57 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

jzucker wrote:
what would the advantage of the quadras over the BXRI or DLites be?

jzucker wrote:
We get great lighting from this. Much better than when we used to shoot speedlites but I'm curious if there is something in between that is a bit easier to lug around that gets equivalent results (not interested in going back to speedlites)

This /\

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:27 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

cordellwillis wrote:
This /\

i'm not asking about changing to speedlites so not "This /\" but nice try

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:58 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #10 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

He's saying the advantage of the Quadra is that it is lighter and easier to carry than you BXRI, as you yourself requested. He's not referring to speedlights at all.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

tedwca wrote:
He's saying the advantage of the Quadra is that it is lighter and easier to carry than you BXRI, as you yourself requested. He's not referring to speedlights at all.

yes, I understand that but if you look more closely, you save a few lbs on the head but gain a few lbs with the battery so are you saving all that much?

Don't get me wrong, I am looking into that system. Just don't know if its size/weight savings enough for me to jump in with both feet.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:56 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #12 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

I use a Rock n Roller cart to carry gear on location and I have the shaft of a c-stand mounted to it so I don't have to worry about someone holding the light or carrying sandbags to keep it form blowing over. But I bring waaaay to much gear with me, so I'm not the best person to ask about lightening the load.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:58 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

we have a cart similar to the rock&roller. How do you securely mount the c-stand to it?

http://www.amazon.com/Tricam-FR110-2-400-Pound-Capacity-Utility/dp/B003OANHEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345834915&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+cart

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:02 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

by the way ed, your work is amazing!

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:04 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #15 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

I use zip ties and gaffer tape of course.

Pic of cart

My cart has handles that go up to about 3.5' off the ground so I have a lot of length to attach it to securely. I don't know if it will work with your cart.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:21 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

i have a rock & roller cart to but it's 12 years old and pretty rusty so I replaced it with the garden cart. What is the light stand resting on? Did you weld a plate the cart to sit the light stand on?

and how do you fold the cart up? Do you leave the side with the light permanently up or do you attach the light at the beginning of each shoot?

and what size softbox do you use?

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:36 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #17 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

I frequently use a socked BD/Einstein/Mini-Lithium combination when shooting outdoors. The BD has been a pretty good option that offers versatility and portability. I like the idea of the rock & roller. It would be nice if they came with balloon tires for getting through dirt, sand, gravel and grass.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:14 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

how does the BD work for full length?

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:50 AM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #19 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

jzucker wrote:
i have a rock & roller cart to but it's 12 years old and pretty rusty so I replaced it with the garden cart. What is the light stand resting on? Did you weld a plate the cart to sit the light stand on?

and how do you fold the cart up? Do you leave the side with the light permanently up or do you attach the light at the beginning of each shoot?

and what size softbox do you use?

It actually rests perfectly on the support beam at the bottom of the cart. A friend offered to weld a plate on, but it doesn't need it.

I attach it at the beginning of the session and remove it at the end and fold the cart up normally for transport.

I usually use a 39" Deep Octa or a 27" Beauty Dish with it.

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:24 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Location lighting query? What are others doing?

you have it resting on the long support beam that runs front to back or the side beam? And which cart do you have? Thanks again Ed.

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password