Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Fred Miranda wrote:
I just got the entire system for the Canon 17mm TS-E. I was initially worried about the rotation limitation discussed here but would like to point out that the lens itself can do all the rotation. It could be an issue for non-TS-E lenses but with this one, there is no need to mess with the thumbscrews at all when changing orientation.

I was perplexed when I first read your comment but later on it dawned on me what you meant . Thanks for making me realize that, Fred.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM
nickygee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

thankyou Drew.
I am assuming that if I get the 145 all is functional.
Looks like there is happy customer below
REgards
NICk

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:56 AM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.3 #3 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Question for anyone that knows the answer…….I’ve looked extensively at the Fotodiox website but can’t find the answer.

Are the 145 holders specifically made for each lens? For example do I need to buy a 145 holder for my TS-E 17mm and a different holder for my 14mm II?

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Chiefdog72 wrote:
Question for anyone that knows the answer…….I’ve looked extensively at the Fotodiox website but can’t find the answer.

Are the 145 holders specifically made for each lens? For example do I need to buy a 145 holder for my TS-E 17mm and a different holder for my 14mm II?

Yes.
I have both in front of me and they are custom made for each lens...

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:22 AM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.3 #5 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Thanks Fred……..I look forward to your evaluation of the system.

It makes more sense now.........I was confused from looking at Julian’s pictures and his description that the holder went on the TS-E 17mm just like the lens cap and this video I found of Jeff from FotoDiox at PhotoPlus Expo showing how the holder had a screw on adapter for the Nikon 14-24. The Nikon adapter looked very solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdPxKtu_hw

So basically, we are buying a holder/hood for each lens. I don’t have a problem with that especially if they are as solid as the Nikon mount; it adds a lot of protection for the bulbous front glass.

If they had an adapter to allow the use of their filters on my TS-E 24mm II it would be perfect. I really don’t want to have two different sets of grads.

Dec 14, 2012 at 05:15 AM
DrewFotodiox

p.3 #6 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

It appears we are going to be able to offer some step-up rings for the WonderPana system.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would 77-145mm and 82-145mm cover most of the lenses you guys (and gals?) would want to use our filters on?

Thanks,
Drew

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:16 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

DrewFotodiox wrote:
It appears we are going to be able to offer some step-up rings for the WonderPana system.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Would 77-145mm and 82-145mm cover most of the lenses you guys (and gals?) would want to use our filters on?

Thanks,
Drew

In my opinion, if you make these step-up rings available, the WonderPana system would be even more desirable and you may sell even more filters.
All the best,
Fred

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.3 #8 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Drew,
The 77mm and 82mm step up would cover everything I want to use grads on. I agree with Fred that it would allow you to sell more filters if we had a way to use all of your filters on any lens we wanted. I don’t mind the custom mount for each of the bulbous lenses as each of these type lenses are unique in their construction. Adding a way to use your filters on my TS-E 24mm II (82 to 145 step up) or other lenses with threads would add a lot of value to your system. Add a good selection of quality filters i.e. wide range of nd solids in the 145 and some nice grads and reverse grads and I think you will have a winner.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:52 AM
chicagonature

p.3 #9 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Fred Miranda wrote:
Drew,
I just got the entire system for the Canon 17mm TS-E. I was initially worried about the rotation limitation discussed here but would like to point out that the lens itself can do all the rotation. It could be an issue for non-TS-E lenses but with this one, there is no need to mess with the thumbscrews at all when changing orientation.
My initial reaction to the product is very positive. It's very well designed and the system and filters seem to be of very high quality. Vignetting is my next concern. I will be testing it shortly and
...Show more

Hi Fred,

Yes, if your lens rotates on its axis, then you're good to go, except for the vignetting. But, my guess is that you'll be okay at 17mm. Though, at 14mm (based on my Nikno 14-24mm lens), it vignettes with the C-POL when focusing at about 1 meter or less or any time with the split grads because the holder vignettes.

For those without a TS lens, the thumbscrews are a big issue even under the best circumstances. Imagine wearing with winter gloves.

Mike

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:03 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.3 #10 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Fred / Drew

I just got my WonderPana 145 /66 for the Canon TS-E 17. I am currently on my second copy of the 145 adaptor for the TS-E 17mm and with both copies I have received from Fotodiox, I can not mount them on to the lens. The bayonet style mount seems to be too tight on the bayonet tracks of the lens. I can only get it to turn about 1/2 a centimeter before it gets stuck. By stuck I mean it takes two hands to take it off the lens! I don't want to force it as I can already see some of the black finish coming off the lens. When I try mounting it, the adaptor seems to sit nice and flush on the lens, but it just won't turn.

I have been working with Jeff at FotoDiox (great customer service btw!!) who quickly sent me the second copy overnight when I discovered the issue with the 1st copy, but having the same problem with a second copy, I am starting to get concerned it may be a design issue. My copy of the 17 TS-E is brand new, so I doubt it is the issue. The lens cap has no issue screwing on.

Fred, Have you had any issues with the copy they sent you for your review?

Thanks,

Dimitri Kavalieros

Fred Miranda wrote:
In my opinion, if you make these step-up rings available, the WonderPana system would be even more desirable and you may sell even more filters.
All the best,
Fred

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #11 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Dimitri,
I just got back from Yosemite and tested the Fotodiox WonderPana 66 on the Canon 17mm TS-E for many of my shots. I had not problems mounting it on the lens. It's actually a very precise fit. Are you aligning the adapter red-dot on the lens?
In my experience there is only one screw configuration that works with this lens. My experience was positive and I will post a little review soon.
PS: We really need the 77-145mm and 82-145mm adapters to use with other lenses asap!
Fred

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:12 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.3 #12 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Fred Miranda wrote:
Dimitri,
I just got back from Yosemite and tested the Fotodiox WonderPana 66 on the Canon 17mm TS-E for many of my shots. I had not problems mounting it on the lens. It's actually a very precise fit. Are you aligning the adapter red-dot on the lens?
In my experience there is only one screw configuration that works with this lens. My experience was positive and I will post a little review soon.
PS: We really need the 77-145mm and 82-145mm adapters to use with other lenses asap!
Fred

Thank for getting back to me Fred and I look forward to reading your review of the system.

Communicating with the team at Fotodiox, they confirmed today there was an issue with the batch of 17 TS-E adaptors they were sending out to me and they expect to get the new corrected copy of the adaptor to me early next week. I must say the customer support and response to the problem from Fotodiox has been GREAT!! I hope the new copy mounts correctly like yours does. I am really exited to start using this with my 17 TS-E!

I also love the thickness of the 6X8 grads, they are really sturdy.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:13 AM
pixelreaper
• •
p.3 #13 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

So all is well!!! I must tip my hat to Jeff Holland at Fotodiox for stellar customer service.

I got my New 17 TS-E adaptor from Fotodiox yesterday and the mounting issue is completely fixed.

From my initial tests with the unit mounted to the 17mm TS-E, it appears very good and does not cause vignetting until you really hit max tilt and shift at the same time. I do not know how likely this setup would be in real world applications, so for my purposes it works great!

I must say I really like this solution for WA lenses. The quality of the materials used is really good, better than the Lee and Cokin kits I have handled in the past. Plus being able to integrate other lens with just a new adapter is super convenient.

I will say there are a few improvements I would recommend on the product to really make it the IDEAL solution for WA filter set ups.

1. Make the round filters slimmer to allow for 2 filters to be mounted with one 6x8 Grad (i.e CPL + ND + Grad) This should be possible given how deep the front threads on the filters are. I will mention that I was able to get to round filters on the 17 TS-E with no blackout, as long as I do not shift/tilt to far. But then ther is not enough room to add a 6x8.

2. Fix the vignette issue on the Rokinon / Samyang 14mm adapter. I have tried the adapter on 3 copies of the lens and they all exhibited corner black-out with just one round filter mounted. The 6x8 grads work just fine though.

3. make a 10 stop ND!!!!

4. As mentioned, rollout the 77 /82mm step up rings. It sounds like this is already in the works.

5. Allow for easier horizon adjustments with the 66 system. Not as big an issue with the 17 TS-E but definately and issue on other lenses.

Overall, I think this is a great set up for landscape photography and a very good value considering the quality of the materials and pricing.

Fred,

I am looking forward to reading your thoughts as well, given you have also used the LEE kit / lens cap DIY setup.

Thanks,

Dimitri Kavalieros

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:53 PM
DrewFotodiox

p.3 #14 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

pixelreaper wrote:
So all is well!!! I must tip my hat to Jeff Holland at Fotodiox for stellar customer service.

I got my New 17 TS-E adaptor from Fotodiox yesterday and the mounting issue is completely fixed.

From my initial tests with the unit mounted to the 17mm TS-E, it appears very good and does not cause vignetting until you really hit max tilt and shift at the same time. I do not know how likely this setup would be in real world applications, so for my purposes it works great!

I must say I really like this solution for WA lenses.
...Show more

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I will forward it along.

Drew

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.3 #15 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Any chance this will ever be able to work with the 100mm x 100mm LEE big stopper? I would like to do long exposures with a 14L lens

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:33 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Tag to follow this

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:23 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.3 #17 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

A quick question to those who have this system...I purchased it for friends in Thailand and am not using it myself, so I need your expertise for a moment:

The 3 stop ND filter I received has very noticeable scratches at the very top of the filter - from cutting the filter to size (best guess); and then on the body of the filter, there are minor scratches/imperfections here and there...is this something to worry about on a 3 stop ND? In other words, will it affect image quality?

Advice appreciated - Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:42 PM
Super Angulon
• •
p.3 #18 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

rdcny wrote:
A quick question to those who have this system...I purchased it for friends in Thailand and am not using it myself, so I need your expertise for a moment:

The 3 stop ND filter I received has very noticeable scratches at the very top of the filter - from cutting the filter to size (best guess); and then on the body of the filter, there are minor scratches/imperfections here and there...is this something to worry about on a 3 stop ND? In other words, will it affect image quality?

Advice appreciated - Thanks!

It's not acceptable and you should ask for the new one.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
rdcny
• • •
p.3 #19 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

anyone else getting scratched ND filters? (The polarizer is 100% perfect.)

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:12 PM
voltaire
• • •
p.3 #20 · Fotodiox introduces two WonderPana Filter Systems

Tagging. Thank you all for sharing.

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:37 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end