Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Archive 2012 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.
  
 
LowellH
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


To Uncle Mike:

I just recently had a chance to do some back-to-back testing with an LX7 and a RX100, in an indoor dark bar/club (low light) venue, I liked the looks of the LX7 photos better than the RX100 photos. I like the exposure better on the LX7, the exposure in the center of the RX100 seemed fine, but fell off too much toward the edges (got too dark I thought). The LX7 picked up more detail in the room than the RX100. I tried to keep things consistent between the two cameras, like multi metering on both. I shot in both the P-mode (slower shutter speeds) and the Shutter priority mode (higher shutter speeds), and the results were the same (LX7 looked better to me). And I'm referring to both the wide angle shots, and the telephoto shots.

I can't post any sample photos (not an upload and sell member), but if anyone is interested, I could post something at my Picasa Web Album.



Jan 10, 2013 at 02:52 AM
Paul Gardner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


As a comment, I have the LX3, LX5, G1X and the RX100 and prefer the Pany images over the RX100. The G1X is the best of all of them but the ergonomics are horrible and is not pocketable. Things are improving each year though so maybe Sony's next iteration will be better. I was hoping that the LX7 would be as small as the Sony, but maybe the LX9.


Jan 27, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Kim Kaiser
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


What are you all shooting at? i just got the rx 100, i am usually using the 1series line of canon equipment, currently the 1dx, maybe i was expecting too much, some snowy scenes with trees showed murky shadows or a limited amount of DR as opposed to the identically cropped 1dx, aperture iso, etc... i know that the 1dx is 10 times the cost and sensor size differences but the talk seemed to be more encouraging,, i am just trying to stop carrying around what seems like 10lbs of stuff just to go for a walk,,,

maybe i have settings wrong,, what are the appropriate settings, i shoot raw



Jan 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
millsart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


Kim Kaiser wrote:
What are you all shooting at? i just got the rx 100, i am usually using the 1series line of canon equipment, currently the 1dx, maybe i was expecting too much, some snowy scenes with trees showed murky shadows or a limited amount of DR as opposed to the identically cropped 1dx, aperture iso, etc... i know that the 1dx is 10 times the cost and sensor size differences but the talk seemed to be more encouraging,, i am just trying to stop carrying around what seems like 10lbs of stuff just to go for a walk,,,

maybe i
...Show more



And think of how even MORE disappointed you would of been had you been using a lesser p&s style camera than the RX100, which, along with a few other camera models, is a good deal better than most p&s type cameras



Feb 01, 2013 at 05:28 AM
timpdx
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


Wow, I have and LX3 and the RX100, as they say, the Sony wipes the floor with the Pany, no contest. Brought my RX100 to Myanmar as my "B" camera and it holds up extremely well to my NEX7, and I mean very, very well outside of the higher isos, but I have a ton of iso400/800 shots with the RX100 and there is absolutely no contest with the Pany, no way and no how, RX100 all the way. My LX3 is still kicking around as my always in the car camera, the one you don't care about baking in a car at 130F, but when want a better camera around just in case, otherwise, boy, technology has moved on people, RX100. Hope other manufactures follow Sony's lead, including Panasonic.


Feb 01, 2013 at 05:42 AM
edl415
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


Thanks to all for reviving this thread. I was thinking about selling my LX5 since I have the RX100 so I decided to do a quick test and was mildly surprised by the results.

Both shot in RAW, a little exposure comp and white balance adjustment to get everything basically the same. No sharpening applied. LX5 file uprezzed in CS6 to match the RX100, then both downsized on export for comparison purposes. Personally I think the results are fairly similar. With some PP applied the files would look quite similar on print, at least for this particular sample.














Feb 01, 2013 at 11:18 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


They do look quite similar. I will skip the analysis of which is which, and just comment that small sensor cameras do not have much of a disadvantage when light is plentiful. Try taking pictures of your family or friends inside after dark and the differences should be clear.


Feb 01, 2013 at 11:39 PM
edl415
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


carstenw wrote:
They do look quite similar. I will skip the analysis of which is which, and just comment that small sensor cameras do not have much of a disadvantage when light is plentiful. Try taking pictures of your family or friends inside after dark and the differences should be clear.


I agree with you, overall the Sony provides better IQ, particularly in challenging circumstances. However, since the LX5 is not worth much on resale, I'm going to keep it around since it indeed does a decent job in good light. I also like the LX5 hotshoe for strobe use and the its bigger DOF is useful for close up photography.



Feb 01, 2013 at 11:55 PM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


Which is which? I think the second image has better detail.


Feb 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



DavidWEGS
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


I think the second is the RX100, but with up/down res work, you can make them similar too.

I find the files from LX5 still to be a great looking file even when compared to the RX, but fine details and richness are better from the RX IMO.

when comparing I'd rather be looking at them from at printing POV and when you get quality 11x14 prints from a P&S, things are looking good which ever one you pick.




Feb 02, 2013 at 12:56 AM
curious80
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


carstenw wrote:
They do look quite similar. I will skip the analysis of which is which, and just comment that small sensor cameras do not have much of a disadvantage when light is plentiful. Try taking pictures of your family or friends inside after dark and the differences should be clear.


+1. For me RX100 is not the camera I would use when I am out to take a landscape with corner to corner sharpness so I don't care that much about getting amazing detail out of it. What I do care about is its performance in challenging lighting conditions where it has a significant advantage over cameras like LX5 or S100 etc.



Feb 02, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Uncle Mike
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


I suspect the top image is the RX100 because it has slightly higher resolution in the center (benefit of 20 MP, although bottom image appears sharper because it has better contrast), but the bottom image is sharper in the corner (benefit of sharper Leica lens or wider depth of field).

I think the bottom image is overall more pleasant to look at, so if I'm right, the less expensive camera beats the more expensive one.



Feb 02, 2013 at 01:06 AM
edl415
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


DavidWEGS wrote:
I think the second is the RX100, but with up/down res work, you can make them similar too.

I find the files from LX5 still to be a great looking file even when compared to the RX, but fine details and richness are better from the RX IMO.

when comparing I'd rather be looking at them from at printing POV and when you get quality 11x14 prints from a P&S, things are looking good which ever one you pick.



Precisely. If you added 15 to 20 points sharpness on the LX5 file and a touch more saturation in the orange dirt / red bridge details, the files would be very, very difficult to tell apart.

Top file is the LX5, bottom is the RX100.

To other comments - there is no argument, the RX100's sensor performs better in challenging circumstances. I was just impressed that I could make a LX5 file fairly similar to a RX100 file in good light. For the $160 or so this fetches on the used market, I'd rather keep it around since I can extract good results from it. The LX5 will be relegated to the back of my cycling jersey or when I run trails. It'll give me much better files than my smartphone.


Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 01:37 AM · View previous versions



Feb 02, 2013 at 01:28 AM
edl415
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


Uncle Mike wrote:
I suspect the top image is the RX100 because it has slightly higher resolution in the center (benefit of 20 MP, although bottom image appears sharper because it has better contrast), but the bottom image is sharper in the corner (benefit of sharper Leica lens or wider depth of field).

I think the bottom image is overall more pleasant to look at, so if I'm right, the less expensive camera beats the more expensive one.


There's one fluff I have to point out that may have skewed your analysis - although I didn't move, I didn't shoot from a tripod and it was hard to compare FL's of both pocketcams. Turns out the LX5 was set to 60mm, and the RX100 was set to 51mm. I cropped the RX100 file a bit so that's probably why the corners look cleaner. Though your analysis just made me think - perhaps it's better to always leave a little room to crop since a cropped 16MP file with clean corners would always look better than a 20MP file with smudgy corners.



Feb 02, 2013 at 01:34 AM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


jcolwell wrote:
Which is which? I think the second image has better detail.



edl415 wrote:
...Top file is the LX5, bottom is the RX100.


Score!

(I have an RX100)



Feb 02, 2013 at 01:48 AM
jcolwell
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


OTOH, if you want to do a fair comparison, you should use a tripod, at least.

P.S. I think the second image has higher res in the centre, as well as at the edges.



Feb 02, 2013 at 01:50 AM
edl415
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · RX100 versus LX7 - quick test.


jcolwell wrote:
OTOH, if you want to do a fair comparison, you should use a tripod, at least.

P.S. I think the second image has higher res in the centre, as well as at the edges.


But if I used a tripod, I'd have to move the tripod since the mounts are not centered on either camera!



Feb 02, 2013 at 03:48 PM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password