Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · The most controversial Canon ever?

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Gary Petersen wrote:
Mine now gives the dreaded error 99 and keeps thinking the battery is dead. We'll find out what they say next time I get home.

There was a free service recall for the Err99 problem (though mirror related)... had mine serviced for that as well....

This is from the Canon Canada site, but should also apply to the US, might be worth a shot...

http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11617

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Jay Adeff
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Definitely the 1D Mark III. However, I just bought a high serial number Mark III which was probably one of the last ones built, to upgrade from my Mark II, and I absolutely love it! It works perfectly.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:35 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I think it's the 5D Mark II. Ever since I got here I've been hearing horror stories about its AF.

Then maybe I just wasn't around when the whole 1D Mark III uproar was on. (BTW none of the people I know to own/have owned 1D III have had any trouble with it... but I did meet a Reuters guy in Hong Kong who had downgraded to 1D Mark II N for some reason. It was a weird situation seeing pretty much everyone around me wielding the 1D Mark II Ns that evening. )

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · The most controversial Canon ever?

The EOS D30, because of it's box:

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · The most controversial Canon ever?

EOS20 wrote:
The EOS D30, because of it's box:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7853471824_1e44fa3867_n.jpg

I had forgotten about that box!
Good memories on the Canon D30. It was the camera that started it all.
Fred

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Access
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Don't forget the mythical 3D, it doesn't even exist as a camera but there's been more junk threads about that camera than any other.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Another candidate..the EOS1

This was the camera that pulled the rug from Nikon as THE Pro camera to have...Nikon have had to work long and hard to catch up....

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:39 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · The most controversial Canon ever?

anthonygh wrote:
Not on the list...but my vote would be the T90.

There was camera design pre the T90...and what we have now!!

good call, forgot about that weird beast

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:46 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · The most controversial Canon ever?

EOS20 wrote:
D60 - Supply problems meant it was hard to find one, and there were a few problems with the camera, it was replaced one year later by the 10D.

300D - No manual metering mode, had allot of hidden features from the 10D that were eventually unlocked by a firmware hack, cheap feeling plastic body, only available in silver until a limited edition black 300D was launched near the end of the product cycle, Error 99 issues when using third party lenses.

30D - A 20D with bigger LCD screen, ISO in viewfinder and a few minor changes.

40D -
...Show more

good points
they all stink
i'm giving up digital and gonna fix my EOS650

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:48 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Jay Adeff wrote:
Definitely the 1D Mark III. However, I just bought a high serial number Mark III which was probably one of the last ones built, to upgrade from my Mark II, and I absolutely love it! It works perfectly.

In real terms, the numbers of dud 1D III was still small and those that worked were superb cameras. I just wish it had of come with a higher res LCD and even 12MP, but as for AF, mine was fantastic.

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EOS20
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · The most controversial Canon ever?

skibum5 wrote:
good points
they all stink
i'm giving up digital and gonna fix my EOS650

I forgot to add the 650D and the rubber grip recall to my original list.

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:52 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · The most controversial Canon ever?

1d3 for sure. I put 150,000 shots through mine before I relaxed about its AF. Great camera! This, the 7d and the 5dc are steals are the resale market nowadays......

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM
campyone
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I'm not sure about here, I haven't been here all that long. But overall the banding issue with the 5D2 was the most controversial in my memory - not necessarily the most talked about but the most controversial in the sense that there were massive arguments over whether banding even existed and if it did, whether it was a real problem.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:12 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · The most controversial Canon ever?

skibum5 wrote:
I actually was still using it almost right up until I finally thought digital was good enough to give up film and got a 20D. The shutter went dead two years before though during a trip so I had a Rebel2000 to tie me over until I got the 20D.

As far as I know mine is still working, but I haven't used it for years
BTW, I was also still using it until I bought a refurbished 1D (classic) in 2004.

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:02 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Access wrote:
Don't forget the mythical 3D, it doesn't even exist as a camera but there's been more junk threads about that camera than any other.

Yes, these threads were already there when I joined FM in 2002

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:04 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I think the camera that has caused the most controversy on this Canon board is the Nikon D700. We were assaulted by people saying Nikon had built the Canon 3D that we wanted, that Canon was too fixated on megapixels, that Nikon AF "just worked", that it was time to switch systems, blah blah. Now I see people on the Nikon board frothing at the mouth over problems with the D800. There are always problems, life goes on.

(I'm happy with my Canon system of lenses, love my 5D3 and 1DX. They're tools, not works of art, but I enjoy them and rely on them. And yes, I have at times had frustrations with various Canon cameras.)

As for the poll, I voted 1DIII because it seemed at the peak of the controversy that a huge number of forum members had the impression it was a piece of crap, less worthy than a Rebel. In fact, though there were AF shortcomings, it was capable of grabbing fast action shots that few other cameras of its day could manage, and the IQ was terrific. "Only" 10 MP, yet prints could really impress.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:17 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · The most controversial Canon ever?

EOS20 wrote:
I forgot to add the 650D and the rubber grip recall to my original list.

oh man, really good point, now that the DSLRs will actually kill you, it's back to my safe FILM EOS650 absolutely for sure! none of these digital horror stories for me!!!!

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:06 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · The most controversial Canon ever?

campyone wrote:
I'm not sure about here, I haven't been here all that long. But overall the banding issue with the 5D2 was the most controversial in my memory - not necessarily the most talked about but the most controversial in the sense that there were massive arguments over whether banding even existed and if it did, whether it was a real problem.

reminds me of the 1D3 AF is has problems, no it's doesn't, that was 5D2 banding times ten!

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:07 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · The most controversial Canon ever?

lexvo wrote:
Yes, these threads were already there when I joined FM in 2002

wow, didn't realize the mythical 3D talk went back THAT far!

I also didn't realize it would continue even after the 5D3 release.

I think even if they release one with the exact EOS3 specs and call it EOS3D there will still be much discussion about when the mythical 3D will arrive.

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:10 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I think the 60D should take this prize.

A step down from 50D in many ways.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:02 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password