Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · The most controversial Canon ever?

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · The most controversial Canon ever?

If I were to vote, I would've voted for the 1diii also. It's killing the "comptetition" so to speak haha.

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:35 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · The most controversial Canon ever?

RogerC11 wrote:
If I were to vote, I would've voted for the 1diii also. It's killing the "comptetition" so to speak haha.

I think that the proof that the choice of the 1D Mark III is valid is that, 5 years later, every time the camera is brought up in a forum discussion, the controversy is awakened. And there are even more than hints of that right here in this thread and ones that I suspect will grow. It isn't possible to say that the focus on one's 1D Mark III worked well without having others jump in to bash the camera (and those who really enjoyed using it).

Les

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:39 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.2 #3 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Other: The 5D3....

Because outside of a largely improved AF, the shadow noise is no better than the 5D2 and a hell of a lot worse than the D800 and *only* 22 MP... In a lot of ways its a 5D2 with better AF, 6FPS, and dual cards (one of which isn't high speed)... seems like a rather marginal improvement for nearly double the price... Just sayin'..... I still love the camera, but I loved my 5D2 too at $1400 - $1700 less - even with its crap AF :-)...

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:40 AM
panicatnabisco

p.2 #4 · The most controversial Canon ever?

5d3 because all of the sudden everyone became d800 envy and passed over a completely awesome camera that everyone pretty much writes off as a 5d2 upgrade (like the guy above me)

Megapixel didnt matter much before the d800 was released and all of the sudden people can't get enough of it as if their quality of photos depends on it

Aug 24, 2012 at 02:03 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.2 #5 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I wasn't part of this board when the 1D3 AF controversy was exploding. I have only seen the nebula following the supernova, and it must've been one massive blue giant of a star.

My vote for the biggest controversy since I have been a regular visitor was 5D2 due to the combination of AF complaints and banding complaints.

Oddly, I saw my way through to navigate the chaos and now own a 1D3 and 5D2 and thoroughly enjoy them both!

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:04 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I had freaking serious issues with my first 1d3, but I remember more people bitching about 5d2.I entered the game a little late.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:14 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #7 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Canon D30, the $2,000, 3 MP DSLR, and the start of about 5 years of "film vs. digital"

"Film has XX megapixels, it will take a 200 MP sensor to replace ..." etc. Lots of theory.

Amazing what people could not see with their own eyes due to "vested interest." (And I am an old school film guy too, since 1974 or so in high school.)

That was more at Luminous than here I think. Mr R yanked peoples chains a bit by making certain claims.

Even the 4x5 film guy that hated me in 2002 is now quite happy with his 5D2 though.

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:03 AM
robstein
• • •
p.2 #8 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Wait for the mirrorless debates

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:13 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #9 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I agree about the EOS 650/620 cameras. This was an entirely new system without backwards compatibility for the most part (though Canon did make a little-known adapter to allow use of FD super-tele lenses). If you wanted to stay with Canon, you had to totally reinvest. In hindsight, switching to an all electronic mount was a very gutsy foreword looking move by Canon. The EOS-M is a little bit like this, being the first 'new' interchangeable lens system from Canon since the EF mount (I don't think EF-S qualifies as such). I suspect current EF lenses adapted to it will never perform amazingly (for AF) and will be large, but at least the electronic mount allows some compatibility. The photography market is more diversified now across more format segments and the EOS-M is not a wholesale disruptive change.

As for Canon in the last decade, I would definitely say the 1DIII. Its problems and the 'coincidental' release of the D3 that it hastily preempted caused a lot of former Nikon users to switch back, and I'm sure, also a lot of Canon users, reversing a lot of the momentum Canon built with the 1D/1Ds and Mark II versions. I still have the two I bought, and when they were my primary cameras, they were at Canon for servicing more often than any other camera I've owned. Though I had many problems with them, I also really liked them when they worked, which was most of the time, excluding bright sun, hot weather sports photography. I think it's only now with the 1DX that Canon has somewhat recovered face and regained the confidence of high profile users in the sports/news market by making a clean break from the 45-point AF design and proving that the new 6-point system is a real improvement.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · The most controversial Canon ever?

robstein wrote:
Wait for the mirrorless debates

+1

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

GammyKnee

p.2 #11 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I voted 1D III, checked the results and yep there it is with a huge lead over everything else.

Personally I'd love to get one. The prices right now (thanks in part to its bad rep) are superb and I keep getting tempted, but a used 5D II would make more sense for me right now.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:19 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · The most controversial Canon ever?

1D III and then 30D - the most useless update in history IMO.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:28 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #13 · The most controversial Canon ever?

dkmiles1 wrote:
Other: The 5D3....

Because outside of a largely improved AF, the shadow noise is no better than the 5D2 and a hell of a lot worse than the D800 and *only* 22 MP... In a lot of ways its a 5D2 with better AF, 6FPS, and dual cards (one of which isn't high speed)... seems like a rather marginal improvement for nearly double the price... Just sayin'..... I still love the camera, but I loved my 5D2 too at $1400 - $1700 less - even with its crap AF :-)...

+1. IMO those are the 1D mkIII and the 5D MkIII. MkIV versions seem always to top the predecessor MkIII......

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Why do so many people here name all Canon bodies like 5Dii, 1Diii and 1Dsii
Instead of 5DII, 1DII and 1DsII
Or even 5D2, 1D2 and 1Ds2

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #15 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I am glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking that, but I figured it may just have been lazyness at least for the capitalizations

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #16 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Why do so many people here name all Canon bodies like 5Dii, 1Diii and 1Dsii
Instead of 5DII, 1DII and 1DsII
Or even 5D2, 1D2 and 1Ds2

Because the AF system in the 1D MkIII sucked, and the 5D III is just a 5D II on AF steroids.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.2 #17 · The most controversial Canon ever?

He was referring to the way the bodies were named, not the actual bodies themselves.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #18 · The most controversial Canon ever?

vsg28 wrote:
He was referring to the way the bodies were named, not the actual bodies themselves.

Yeah, this is a huge problem to be concerned about with naming bodies "right".....OMG.

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · The most controversial Canon ever?

vsg28 wrote:

Yes you are right

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · The most controversial Canon ever?

retrofocus wrote:
Yeah, this is a huge problem to be concerned about with naming bodies "right".....OMG.

So it doesn't matter if all people don't understand what body they talk about ? The first times I was reading about a 5Di or 1Dii I didn't know what they talked about. And I know it's the same for a lot of other people that don't have English as their natural or first language.
And obviously it was a problem for you also with your first answer

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password