Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First shoot with 5D Mark III - thoughts

MattSepeta
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First shoot with 5D Mark III - thoughts

Impressions:
-It fixed 99% of the issues I have with 5dII- Mostly related to erratic focusing. On my 5DII I couldn't get my brand new 35L to AF correctly until at f/2.8ish. Focused perfectly on 5DIII with no MA. No MA needed on any lens actually.

-Love the thumb joystick on the vertical grip. I didn't think I would really use it even, but it's awesome. The grip feels better all around.

-Dual cards is amazing. I bought a few cheap 32GB SD cards from a Microcenter to pair with my Good Sandisk 32GB CFs set to writing RAWS to both cards. I used to use 8GB cards and fill them up half way or so and switch, to avoid card data loss. With dual cards now I won't hesitate to fill up a 32GB card then if need be swap it along with the backup SD card.

-I am yet to fill up the buffer. I have not even noticed any lagging writing after firing a burst, which I would on 5DII quiet often.

-I dont care for the new zooming controls while in playback. I probably wont have to use it as often now though.

-I have been having mediocre results trying out Servo, but I really haven't used it much in the past so That's likely user error

-High ISO improvement is there. Wouldn't hesitate to go to 4000 if I needed to, on 5DII I tried to stay below 1250 or 1600.

-Silent shutter mode is pretty neat. I will surely be using this at ceremonies from now on. Does anyone know if it adversely affects the camera at all??

-I find that images look better once I am looking at them on a computer than they do on the playback screen. Looking at them on the screen, zooming in to check focus, they looked a bit blurry, worrying me. When I imported into aperture the raws looked great without any adjustments, super sharp.

Anyways, I'm happy with it so far and can't wait to use it at my next wedding.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Sarah Brewbake
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First shoot with 5D Mark III - thoughts

Agreed with all of the above!

Just had our first engagement shoot with our new 5D III, blown away with the focus points and ease of use with the 85L II. Basically everything I gripped about our 5D II often was fixed with the 5D III, so far super impressed! [: Can't wait to shoot a double wedding weekend with it next weekend!

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:49 PM
RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First shoot with 5D Mark III - thoughts

MattSepeta wrote:
-High ISO improvement is there. Wouldn't hesitate to go to 4000 if I needed to, on 5DII I tried to stay below 1250 or 1600.

It's useable up to 12800. The fact that it can still focus in that sort of light, though, is what really blows me away.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password