Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

rhyder wrote:
Bottom line.........if you have to ask, then you probably aren't......Anyone can call themselves a pro......I know photographers that make money, even make their entire living from photography, that I would NOT call professional.

Yes, you do have to ask, because in the eyes of people who directly matter (say, the state and federal revenue agencies or insurance agencies), you might very well be a "professional" and it might come back to bite you if you operate as though you aren't.

Sep 07, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.2 #2 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

I only offered those up as points or thoughts to the existing discussion. The Illinois "definition" is quite simple compared to many of the suggested definitions. It simply requires one to be in the business (profession). It doesn't set a baseline of training, of results, of behavior or even require profitability. It is just, in it's context, one place where a "state" has given a definition. One might compare that to other definitions that could be found for other occupations/professions. They often include levels of training, experience, testing, certifications, etc.

The "question" on profit was sort of tongue in cheek because some suggestions are that one getting paid or making money (making a profit?) makes one a professional. And as you pointed out, there are circumstances where profit is not made intentionally or in some cases, unintentionally, yet the person might well be viewed as a professional because they are in business, take money, behave to the highest standards, have experience, education, training, etc.

I'd definitely agree that other entities would have their own meaningful definitions. They could take a very different viewpoint of something like, "I'm not really in business, I just want to pay for my hobby."

Sep 08, 2012 at 05:32 AM
markd61
• •
p.2 #3 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

This question seems to come up when someone is mad at a hack who calls themselves a professional or by someone who is starting out and is afraid of being called out as not being one.

I see it as one can be a full-time or part-time pro. The first derives the majority of income from photography the second does not. Both need to conduct themselves honorably and professionally or they wont have the income to call themselves professional.

Sep 08, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

What is the definition of a professional photographer ?

Someone whom are taking photograph and get paid for with at least of half of the annual income from photography,

And/or let see your best work we will let you know if you're a professional photographer.

And/or a Professional photographer is someone who never leave there camera the the bag, but rather take the camera out and shot and shot and shot, day/night/rain or shine and " Aways ready at the moment notes "
:

Sep 08, 2012 at 07:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

The answer kinda depends on the context of the word within its dual usage:

Are we talking about QUALITY of workmanship,
OR
Generation of REVENUE in the context of running a legally established (and legally operating) business ... hmmm what does that say @ "professional thieves" (just means they're very good at what they do / see quality of workmanship)
(irrespective of profit/loss as professional business of all kinds lose money/go out of business)

The word can be used for either and they aren't necessarily inclusive one of the other (although, ideally suited to go together, not required to do so)

Reminds me of the old joke:
"What do you call a man outstanding ("out standing") in his field?"
A professional ... or a farmer.

Sep 09, 2012 at 05:21 PM
CTYankee
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

A DSLR with "P" mode.

(Judging by my facebook newsfeed)

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

There is an odd preoccupation with the term "professional" when it comes to photography. Somehow it's used to described the products and people that are the least professional.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM
CKimballPhoto

p.2 #8 · What is the definition of a professional photographer

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to chime in here as I am the author of the article that Mr. Harfield posted here. It was interesting to read the thoughts and comments here, yes, I read the entire thread.

The intent of the article does not speak to money at all. There are many of us in the fire and emergency service photography community that do make our living at photography. I am a full time commercial photographer and photojournalist, who happens to also shoot fire and emergency service images.

The reason behind the article was professionalism in actions not making money with the images we shoot of firefighters and emergency workers.

I will say, I would love to here more thoughts on the subject and am glad that Gary took the time to post it here, though I am not sure the intent in doing so.

Thanks for all the comments and I will continue to follow along with this thread.

Chris

Sep 26, 2012 at 07:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password