New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Well, for me it's the 1DX and I have set zoom to actual size from the AF point used, rather than from the center. Difficult to really say if it's a custom function setting conflict or a camera batch issue. But it seems to be common to both the cameras...

Lately when Canon has had product recalls/firmware fixes, etc. they seem to frequently quote a specific digit of the serial number as a differentiator between affected and unaffected cameras... Looking into this very quickly based on the T4i recall, it seems Canon has switched to a 12-digit serial number system with the first 6 digits likely being a production code (perhaps also functioning as replacement for the now discontinued date code) and the last 6 being the actual sequential serial number.

So with my 1DX the first 6 digits are: 062111

Anyone else care to share?

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

My 1DX serial number is 052011xxxxxx.
My 5D3 is 022031xxxxxx. I removed the L bracket to get that for you!
I had an earlier 5D3 that locked up (due to problems with the SD card interface). Returned it after 1000 or so actuations. About 7000 on the replacement with no problems whatsoever, save the "review glitch" that it shares with the 1DX.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:47 PM
jillbeamer

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

my 5d3 is 052123

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I just tried this on my camera and I don't have this glitch.

Here's what I did.

Take a pic then immediately press play, then the magnification button to 100%. I can scroll to the previous image by the scroll wheel.

btw, I have preview turned off.

My camera is one of the first series.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Hers's my observation on both the 5D3 and the 1DX.

Case 1. The image just taken is still visible the LCD screen.
A. Pressing the magnify button (or the set button if optioned to magnify) puts you in magnify/reduce mode and scrolling is blocked. One then needs to press the playback button to initiate scrolling.

B. Pressing the playback mode puts one in the (you guessed it) the playback mode. One can magnify images here and still scroll through them.

Case 2. The image just taken has timed out on the LCD screen (not visible).
Pressing either the playback or magnify button enables scroll mode, just like case 1B.

Db

Note: Edited

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:27 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Doctor bird, that's an accurate description of what many of us find. However, it is not the behavior of, for example, the 1D4, which allows an immediate press of the magnify button and immediate scroll between images. that seems to be what Ron Scheffler can do with his 1DX. I cannot.

Aug 24, 2012 at 07:53 AM
glockss

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Mine sn starts with 048023

And i agree with Doctorbird, but it's should have been 1B whenever you press it while image is in preview or you have to wait for it to disappear.

Photon it's same case with 40D, 50D, 7D, 5D2.

So why the "feature"/"bug" in 5D3 and 1DX?

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I think I found the reason why it doesn't happen to me or 4x4: we both have automatic image review disabled. I just reenabled it and now when I magnify the image while it's still in the initial auto display time period, I cannot scroll to other images.

I tried all of the timed options and hold, and they all prevent image scrolling.

Therefore, turn off auto image review - it will make you a better photographer by not tempting you to chimp.

I turned it off years ago to reduce the temptation for clients to hover behind me to see what I was shooting appear on the display... I really, really dislike people hovering over me while I work...

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

rscheffler wrote:
I think I found the reason why it doesn't happen to me or 4x4: we both have automatic image review disabled. I just reenabled it and now when I magnify the image while it's still in the initial auto display time period, I cannot scroll to other images.

I tried all of the timed options and hold, and they all prevent image scrolling.

Therefore, turn off auto image review - it will make you a better photographer by not tempting you to chimp.

I turned it off years ago to reduce the temptation for clients to hover behind me to see what
...Show more
Ron, that's an excellent idea. I've always minimized review time at 2 seconds, but never turned it off. Ya know, I really wish "My Menu" had room for more items. This is one of a few I'd add but consider lower priority than what's in there now.

I'll edit the thread opening to reflect this when I'm on a real computer, not a phone.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Jess, glad I could help!

Note to Canon: I'm available for alpha/beta testing, please contact me to negotiate terms.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Great find Ron.

I always turn the review off on all my cameras too.

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

This thread is absolute proof that forums (fora?) are worthwhile. Now the question is whether this behavior is a bug or a feature.

Db

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I think it's intentional. With auto image review on, after taking a photo, when that photo first appears, and if you try to scroll to another image, it just disappears and the screen goes black (and actually changes your shutter speed or aperture (or whatever you have the rear dial assigned to do in shooting mode). The logic is that the photographer's priority is shooting, not review, because if the photographer really wanted to review images, s/he'd hit the playback button and consciously switch out of image capture mode. If during initial auto image review you press the playback button, you can scroll through images, whether zoomed or not.

I don't have my 1DIV handy, but pulled out a 1DIII for comparison. Same basic principles with it. Auto image review only allows you to see the most recent image shot, you can't scroll to another image, unless you hit the playback button. Also, during auto image review, you can't zoom in. The screen goes black because the camera thinks you want to set the AF point. I.e you're still in image capture mode rather than image review mode.

I think the 5DIII/1DX (never tried the 7D) are probably the first to allow us to actually zoom into the image during auto image review. Previous cameras forced us to hit the playback button first.

When auto image review is turned off, the logic is that the photographer doesn't want to see the images, therefore, if one presses the zoom (or assigned the set) button, one is consciously deciding to review images and may want to scroll through more than just the most recent one.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Ron, I think your analysis is right on. The change of placement of the magnify button irked a lot of people used to the 1D4 and 5D2, but I got used to it (the 5D3/1DX setup with the custom functions described earlier) quickly and preferred it because I could hit the set button with my thumb with other fingers remaining in place, and that one action would show me my magnified chosen focus point, and as before a light touch on the shutter puts me back in capture mode. Turning off (automated) image review fits fine with my workflow. When I need to review a shot, I know it. If my priority is the look of the whole frame, I press the review button. If my priority is to check focus, I press the set button. If I'm in a situation where exposure is dicey, I preset info to display the histogram of my choice upon review. Things work fast! I like it.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I agree. I'm still getting used to not having image zoom on the AF point selector button, but I really like having instant zoom on the set button. And I have been really impressed with the customizability of the 1DX, especially for AF point selection. I guess AF point registration was available before, but I never really bothered learning it. I have set it up on the X so that AF-ON is one point cluster, the * button switches to another, and the M-Fn2 button brings up 61-point zone AF, which I never really trusted with previous cameras, but want to try for some of the things I shoot.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:51 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Great stuff on this subject. Like interpreting and filling between the lines of the somewhat too terse (but efficiently written) manual. Threads like this about other aspects of the cameras could be beneficial.

Db.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.