FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Fair point..my have to change to clarify.

Sep 29, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

After reading a number of reviews and, in awe, having watched the images posted here I got myself a brand new Zuiko 75/1.8.

I'm happy with it as it performs as expected (excellent image quality, sturdy build). But...

Before buying I did my home-work and learned the AF is silent. Now this copy I got today isn't really silent. Well, It is, for the most of the time, but there is a also a medium to medium high pitch whirring sound involved in the process. I hear it, clearly, whenever turning the camera on or off and when the lens hunts for focus or when it quickly focuses from infinity to short distance (or the other way round).

This is with an E-M5. Is your copy the same? I'm not that bothered as I don't shoot video but would like to know if this is normal.

Thank you,

Jonas

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Isn't that the sound the gyroscope is meant to make?

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

A gyroscope? It's an ordinary lens Carsten, I don't think there is a gyroscope involved and it is not about the sound made by the IBIS - this is lens related and to this lens only.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

I think you're hearing the movement of the elements. I find it makes a similar amount of 'noise' compared to Canon USM focusing lenses....very very quiet, and essentially no focus motor noise (which I view as silent AF), but you can still hear the elements move a bit...I mean, the elements do need to slide along the lens barrel.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Jonas B wrote:
A gyroscope? It's an ordinary lens Carsten, I don't think there is a gyroscope involved and it is not about the sound made by the IBIS - this is lens related and to this lens only.

IBIS, that is what I meant Oh well.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
I think you're hearing the movement of the elements. I find it makes a similar amount of 'noise' compared to Canon USM focusing lenses....very very quiet, and essentially no focus motor noise (which I view as silent AF), but you can still hear the elements move a bit...I mean, the elements do need to slide along the lens barrel.

Thank you.
Maybe I'm bad at describing the sound but no, this is not like sound from the Canon USM lenses, or the Sigma HSM. What you here from them is more like a smooth whooshing sound, not a high pitch whirring sound.

carstenw wrote:
IBIS, that is what I meant Oh well.

No problems Carsten, any suggestion is welcome.

I got a reply from a user at another forum suggesting he can hear the same when lifting the lens up tp his ear and let the camera focus at something impossible; a whirring sound but very faint. My reply to him:

A high pitch whirring sound" - that's it. In my case it is clearly audible in all situations, shooting with the camera lifted, from the side when my wife handles the camera or when standing in front of it. I'll visit the shop again and compare it to their demo copy.

regards,

Jonas

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:28 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Sounds like the IBIS of the camera to me. It's louder on the 75mm than some other lenses because 1. It's longer so the IBIS is more agressive and 2. The 75mm isnt weather sealed or damped like the 12-50 kit lens.

Gordon

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Hi Gordon,

and thank you for the input.
As mentioned I'll compare to the shop's demo copy tomorrow or Saturday and I'll get back here.
No, it's not the IBIS. The sound is heard only when focusing. I can hear the IBIS work as well, but the same way as it does with the Zuiko 45/1.8 for example, if moving the camera without focusing. The high pitched whirring sound is a focusing thing. I'm sorry I didn't describe the possible problem clearly.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

The report:

I finally found some time to visit the shop where I bought the lens. The woman behind the desk knew one of her colleagues also is a micro 4/3 user and asked him about the problem. It turned out he was well aware about it as he uses the same setup and as he has seen a copy of the lens getting dismantled we were soon involved in a discussion about lens element rails and stepping motors and more.

Anyway. The sound I described is perfectly normal. The demo camera and lens in the shop made the exact same noise.

It seem to me as we are good at discussing images and what we see, less good at discussing sounds. I guess there still are folks out there in the know-how who never heard the E-M5 IBIS in action...

Cheers,

Jonas

PS
The clerk (?) really liked my E-M5 grip (I have the Milich full length +L part version) and asked for directions on how to get hold of one. Cool.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Isn't this thread supposed to show some photos? Bought mine today, and straight on to the car exhibition. Lens works fine

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:31 AM
brunobarolo
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Nice car

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:44 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Hmm, bad crop though. Front-focusing, is it?

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

carstenw wrote:
Hmm, bad crop though. Front-focusing, is it?

Focus seems to be spot on, but getting the shot at a place where there are a zillion other photographers fighting for the front spot isn't ideal. I had less than a second from the moment she looked in my direction until she moved on to the next one.

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:26 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Pretty sure that was a joke, Jorgen.

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

deadwolfbones wrote:
Pretty sure that was a joke, Jorgen.

Probably, but it's in the middle of the night here, so my brain is kind of dysfunctional. Oh, but the car is there, the white one to the left of her. You can't recognise it?

Here's a Volvo anyway, same lens but at f/2.2:

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

...and my eyes are reinforcing the already heavy front focusing.

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

The crop is much better on this one, but it is just as front-focused

I do prefer the second shot. B&W works here, and the composition better.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

carstenw wrote:
The crop is much better on this one, but it is just as front-focused

I do prefer the second shot. B&W works here, and the composition better.

Nah... it's just because you like Volvos

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:12 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Olympus 75mm f/1.8 - First Impressions

Me like Volvo too!

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Here's a Volvo anyway, same lens but at f/2.2:

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:28 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.