Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Which size think tank retrospective?

mrhoni
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which size think tank retrospective?

Thinking of something for travel that doesnt stand out as a camra bag. Want to carry 5dMKIII + 70-200 f2,8 II as a starting point. Probably a flash and another smaller lens such as 50 f1.2 and 16-35 f2.8, but most interested in smallest model that can handle this camera and lens.

Side question, while the bag may look unassuming, what about the guy with the white lens? No particular country in question, it's just that won't I stand out? Was interested in a black one lens wide to telephoto, but seems what is available may be a big compromise. I haven't done enough searching yet for that solution.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Which size think tank retrospective?

Retrospective 10.

J.

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:03 AM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #3 · Which size think tank retrospective?

To conform, 5d with 70-200 attached is too big for the retrospect 7, correct?

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:54 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I think so. It's the depth that matters. WIth the R10, the 70-200 f/2.8 attached to a 1D3 or 5D is fine. The flap has plenty of extra material in it to make up for the 1" it sticks over the top of the bottom part of the bag. This is how I use my R10 all the time.

According to the specs, the 7 is 8.5" high, the 10 is 9.5" high. based on that, I'd say that the 7 is too small.

J.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:13 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #5 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I tried out the 10 in the local shop with my gripped D700 and Tamron 70-200. I didn't like the way it stuck out the top. Yeah, I COULD stretch the flap over, but if you are trying to be inconspicuous, a bulging bag isn't going to help.

I'm getting the shop to bring in the 20, should be in today or tomorrow. I'll give it a good once over, but from what I've seen on the internets, it's the bag for me.

Also, they had the 30 there. The difference in size between the 10 and 30 is smaller than I thought. The 30 still wouldn't accomodate the 70-200 mounted, the 20 is just a bit deeper.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I have the 10 and it works perfectly for me. I can put in there a d800 with a 24-120 on and a lot of other stuff. I had a nikon 70-200 which I tried before selling it. Mounted on the d800, really not recommended in the retro 10. Unmounted, it will fit like a breeze. The problem is depth, as mentioned before.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:43 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #7 · Which size think tank retrospective?

DTOB wrote:
I tried out the 10 in the local shop with my gripped D700 and Tamron 70-200. I didn't like the way it stuck out the top. Yeah, I COULD stretch the flap over, but if you are trying to be inconspicuous, a bulging bag isn't going to help.

A man carrying a large purse is never going to be inconspicuous.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:55 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #8 · Which size think tank retrospective?

michaelnel wrote:
A man carrying a large purse is never going to be inconspicuous.

Haha, I guess it depends on where you live!

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:29 PM
cjrpostma

p.1 #9 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I have the Retrospective 10 and I absolutely love it however it will not comfortably fit my D700 (with or without grip) with attached 70-200 VR II. I've tried placing it in the bag both vertically and horizontally. Horizontally, it might barely fit without a grip. Vertically, you can technically close the flap over it but it is very awkward.

You could absolutely have the 70-200 beside your camera with a shorter lens mounted and an additional lens on the other side with room to store a speedlight, filters, and other small items.

Aug 16, 2012 at 03:49 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.1 #10 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I have both the R20 and R30. I would recommend the R20. Better fit for what you want to carry. Yes, a white lens might stand out. But, a black lens that size will be noticeable too. Just go with it, if that is what you want to take, and don't let your equipment out of your sight if where you are shooting is that prone to crime.

BTW, a large lens can work to your advantage also. Considerate people tend to get out of your way, since they assume you are a serious photographer.

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Which size think tank retrospective?

cjrpostma wrote:
I have the Retrospective 10 and I absolutely love it however it will not comfortably fit my D700 (with or without grip) with attached 70-200 VR II. I've tried placing it in the bag both vertically and horizontally. Horizontally, it might barely fit without a grip. Vertically, you can technically close the flap over it but it is very awkward.

You could absolutely have the 70-200 beside your camera with a shorter lens mounted and an additional lens on the other side with room to store a speedlight, filters, and other small items.

Odd. Been doing just this with a 1Dmk3 mounted to a 70-200 f/2.8 for a couple of years now. Fits just fine.

There is no way this (or any of the bags under discussion) here won't look like a camera bag. If you want inconspicuous, then it's a 4/3rds system like the Oly OMD EM-5.

J.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:07 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I find the R10 to be better suited to short primes or slower zooms -- if you want to carry the 70-200 mounted, the R20 will likely be a better fit.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:13 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Which size think tank retrospective?

Probably true, but it's a much deeper bag and larger.

Putting a camera body in there mounted really doesn't stick up much (I think it's like 1"). When it's on your shoulder, the the bottom of the bag sags a bit and it's just fine. I had looked at the R20, but it was a much larger bag, IMO.

J.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:24 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #14 · Which size think tank retrospective?

JohnJ80 wrote:
Probably true, but it's a much deeper bag and larger.

Putting a camera body in there mounted really doesn't stick up much (I think it's like 1"). When it's on your shoulder, the the bottom of the bag sags a bit and it's just fine. I had looked at the R20, but it was a much larger bag, IMO.

J.

To be fair, when I tried the 10 with my D700+70-200 I didn't actually carry it on my shoulder. I just saw how it protruded with it sat on a counter and I decided that it wasn't deep enough.

Perhaps while carrying it would sag like you say and fit better (you should know, you own it and carry it with this combo), but for me, it stuck out enough to not give it much thought.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:35 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Which size think tank retrospective?

Sure.

I was thinking in terms of the OP's comment of "most interested in smallest model that can handle this camera and lens."

J.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:26 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #16 · Which size think tank retrospective?

JohnJ80 wrote:
Sure.

I was thinking in terms of the OP's comment of "most interested in smallest model that can handle this camera and lens."

J.

Well now you've got me thinking as well.. I'll have to try them both on and keep your observations in mind when the 20 comes in at the local shop. I'd prefer as small as I can get away with.

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:31 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #17 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I found a store that had the 7, 10 and 20 in stock. I ended up buying the 7 for now. The 10 was taller but not tall enough to have 5DmkIII with 70-200 2.8 IS II vertical. So between the 7 and the 10 I decided for the 7. I thought the 7 was wider than the 10 and 20, but the specs show they are very close.

I have Canon 600-RT flash and that does not seem to be able to squeeze into the inside side pockets. If someone has a 20 and the 600-RT it would be nice to know if the flash fits in the inside side pocket.

I also checked the 20. This was definitely tall enough and wasn't as large as I thought it was going to be.

I was debating getting both the 7 and the 20, but for now just the 7. I think the goal was a smaller bag that I can take the 70-200 and another lens or 2 for walking around. If I want to take more stuff to a place, I have a Thinktank airport international or a backpack and then could move a couple items to the retrospect.

I gave a go at how much I could pile into the 7.
- Bottom of the bag - 50 1.2L, 2x tele, 16-35 2.8L.
- Placed some dividers on top of the bottom row of stuff and laid the 70-200 attached to camera horizontally.
- Ipad in the back outer pocket
- outside front pocket, one 600RT flash and boomerang flash bracket and mini Apollo soft box.
- didn't spend time figuring out where to put my filters.

This is more than I want to carry on my shoulder for walking around, so as mentioned, I personally will end up using this for carrying less than I have described, but it does work.

Biggest challenge of all my bags is where to put the flash bracket. Works best in the backpack.

This was much harder on my brain than desired.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #18 · Which size think tank retrospective?

I ordered the 10 and will receive it tomorrow, but I considered the 7 as well. Based on this review it looks like it will hold what you want, but not with the 70-200 mounted (as others have stated).

I am looking for an everyday bag and settled on the 10, but if I were looking for a travel bag I would get the 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YcpXx4M3Aw

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #19 · Which size think tank retrospective?

The 700-200 was mounted, just laid in horizontal versus vertical.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:23 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Which size think tank retrospective?

DTOB wrote:
Well now you've got me thinking as well.. I'll have to try them both on and keep your observations in mind when the 20 comes in at the local shop. I'd prefer as small as I can get away with.

Maybe if I get some time tomorrow, I'll take a picture of the camera in the R10.

I never paid any attention to it and it works fine. I've just been using it with the 1Dmk3+70-200 attached since the R10 came out (couple years or more - whenever that was). I think I probably had one of the first ones. I put that camera setup in it, the 24-105 and usually my canon flash. Sometimes I'll throw in an additional lens and carry the flash on the external rail.

The 1Dmk3 is larger in all respects than any of the 5D's. I have a 40D around somewhere, that ought to be just fine.

J.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:07 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password