1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

cheem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

bushwacker wrote:
The Flipside 300 is larger. I have the 200 it will fit a Pro DSLR but with bulging back. Go with 300

Thanks - I bought the 300, it appears nice and slim and vertical hence it is not bulky. I have been using my Lowepro Classified 160 with a Think Tank Neoprene strap for the past year traipsing around cities (Paris, London, etc) and the single strap for day long outings gets to be an issue.

Bags, like lenses, are ever elusive! It is hard to find the perfect one for all situations...

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:59 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I used to live in NY/Manhattan for 6 years and i used 17-40 & 70-200 all the time and never felt the need for anything else but that was with a 20D. The 17-40 should be plenty wide on the 5D. If you can take 2-3 minute ferry ride across the hudson river to Port Imperial/Weehawken and you will get stunning views of the New York skyline. You can catch the ferry from the midtown west 39th terminal which is a short walk from times square. Both New York and Boston are great cities, enjoy your trip.

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:25 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

For UK and others...

There was a shooting incident in 5th Ave. around EMPIRE STATE BUILDING... last friday just a heads up.

be careful and alert, call 911.

here:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/24/13455394-empire-state-shooting-bystanders-hit-by-police-rounds?lite

the gunman got killed in front of Heartland Brewery.... the same Bar I suggested to go, just ground level of Empire State Building.

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:47 AM
dan
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Lens advice for Boston & New York

I was in NYC for a week last fall. Stayed with family in the East Village and they showed me around (including B&H), and I also did my own explorations while they were working.

The only gear I took was my 30D (no BG-E2), 50/1.4 with hood and a 430EX. I stuffed it all into a small LowePro bag, but the bag and flash never left the apartment.

I found walking about with the camera always ready quite a refreshing way to shoot in the city. Only having a single fixed lens really concentrated my compositional elements.

Of course I 'missed' shots I could have made with my full kit, but I thought traveling light in a crowded environment was more practical, and having the fastest lens in my bag meant no flash, so there was one less thing to worry about when on the street.

I found New Yorkers to be some of the friendliest people I have met anywhere and I never feared for my camera's safety.

Get a MetroCard so you can use the the subway without fishing for the correct change every time. -- http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.