Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

Pixel Perfect wrote:
$5250 is a bargain compared to the Cine lenses for the C300...

This is a cine lens for the C300...or any other EOS-mount camera. (The C300 can be ordered with a PL mount as well, but that doesn't change what this lens is for.)

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:27 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

I could easily be wrong, but is the front element on this lens narrower than that on the 24L Mk2? If so that suggests it might be a new optical design?

If it is the same as the 24L Mk2 though that suggests the non cinema lens also has a T of f1.5 which is interesting to know.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

A production company was using two last week under the Brooklyn Bridge for a documentary on 5DIII's.

They said "the batteries are the weakest link."

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:07 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

David Baldwin wrote:
I could easily be wrong, but is the front element on this lens narrower than that on the 24L Mk2? If so that suggests it might be a new optical design?

If it is the same as the 24L Mk2 though that suggests the non cinema lens also has a T of f1.5 which is interesting to know.

I was wondering about that too: DxO says the 24 f/1.4 has a T rating of 1.6. That may be within the range of measurement error or it may be that the different coatings transmit more light. I'll do some side-by-side shot comparisons to see if there's any detectable difference.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:14 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

Psychic1 wrote:
A production company was using two last week under the Brooklyn Bridge for a documentary on 5DIII's.

They said "the batteries are the weakest link."

I suppose they would be, compared to the enormous bricks they attach to their video cameras...

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

Very interesting information, thanks everyone. I've always wondered what differentiates cinema lenses from still lenses.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:33 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Very interesting information, thanks everyone. I've always wondered what differentiates cinema lenses from still lenses.

The long-throw focus (and zoom) adjustments help for getting smooth transitions, but it is the use of measured T-stops that is probably the most important. When you're using multiple shots -- sometimes from multiple cameras -- in the same scene, getting "close enough" with exposure settings won't cut it; the differences would be visible at the cuts.

Differences can sometimes be corrected during post production, but getting it right straight out of the camera is better.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

The Canon Cine lenses look superbly built and at least on par with the Zeiss CP series. I have not used CP's but have used Zeiss Superspeed's (2nd and 3rd gen?), Cooke's S4's and Arri/Zeiss Ultra Primes (also handled the Master Primes, wow). The Superspeeds are quite small and are basically adapted 35mm film lenses, kinda like the Canons. The Ultra Primes are a bit larger but still compact enough. The Cooke's and specially the Master Primes are whole different animals. VERY large and Heavy. Most of those lenses are purchased in matched sets so that the color and optical characteristics match as closely as possible between lenses. Don't know if the Canons are available as such.

Aug 14, 2012 at 06:53 PM
dshipley
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Got the "new" Canon 24 T1.5

skibum5 wrote:
wouldn't it need a new optical design to stop focus breathing? and if it doesn't have that isn't $3000 extra a bit gigantic profit margin just for the new housing even with limited quanities?

First, I'm not sure that focus breathing has been eliminated (I would hope for the price that Canon is asking) and yes to do so would dictate a lens design/hardware change... however, while the CN-E 24, 50, and 85 lenses are all based on the EF 24L, 50L and 85L lenses they're also very different. For example all three CN-E lenses have rounded 11 blade aperture diaphragms (I couldn't find the number of blades for the 24L, but the 50L and the 85L both have 8 rounded blades). Also all three CN-E lenses "share the same front diameter, form factor, optical design, placement of gear rings, and mechanical construction. Because of the identical characteristics, one lens can be swapped with another easily, even when geared accessories are involved." I think everyone here knows that there are major differences in form factor between the 24L, 50L, and 85L. So while they may be based on the EF lenses it appears they've had some major hardware changes. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're worth the extra $3,000 that Canon is asking for either (up to the individual to decide).

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password