1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 50 f/1.4 as a Walk-around on 5Dc

twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 50 f/1.4 as a Walk-around on 5Dc

Gunzorro wrote:
My only concern about the EF 50/1.4 is its tendency for the AF motor to go out. It's pretty common, and not that cheap to fix outside warranty.

I have used a number of them over the years and have never had a problem. Does not mean that it will not happen but beware of the "Internet imperative" where folks post problems more than things working the way they should. I have yet to read a post ..."Hey I just thought I would chime in this week to let you know my 50 1.4 is still working."

A lot of very nice shots have been taken with the 1.4 as well as the 1.2.
They are both fine lens. Pick your poison.

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:59 PM
pKai
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 50 f/1.4 as a Walk-around on 5Dc

The 50 1.4 (any brand) was everyone's walkaround lens for 3 decades. Many awesome images have been made with them.

Personally, I prefer the Nikon SC 50 1.4, which is vintage 1970-someting and originally came with my Nikon F2. Currently, I use it via an focus confirmation capable adapter on my 5D2 for low light situations. Its better IQ-wise than the modern Canon, albeit manual. I don't mind MF since that's how I learned how to shoot and this is not an action lens for me.

I'll probably upgrade once Canon updates their 50 1.4 but only if they manage a significant IQ improvement over my venerable Nikon.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:29 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 50 f/1.4 as a Walk-around on 5Dc

Why not a Sigma 50/1.4 ?
I think this is the upgraded version of the Canon 50/1.4 "without going 'full-L.'"
The newer versions also do not really have AF problems that some people have reported.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 50 f/1.4 as a Walk-around on 5Dc

Richard Nye wrote:
Jefferson, your first photo is an excellent example of why I sold my Canon 50 f/1.4. The lens just takes blah pictures in my opinion. They aren't saturated, and the contrast is not good. I got the Sigma 50 f/1.4 and the IQ is MUCH better. The focus on my Sigma 50 is fine for a walk around lens.

I changed the image you Reference...I had removed and replaced it on my site so the link was lost...no reflection on your comment...

Jefferson

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 50 f/1.4 as a Walk-around on 5Dc

twistedlim wrote:
I have used a number of them over the years and have never had a problem. Does not mean that it will not happen but beware of the "Internet imperative" where folks post problems more than things working the way they should. I have yet to read a post ..."Hey I just thought I would chime in this week to let you know my 50 1.4 is still working."

A lot of very nice shots have been taken with the 1.4 as well as the 1.2.
They are both fine lens. Pick your poison.

Think I'll keep the 1.4 and save the $$ for bills...like that will happen...maybe Canon will upgrade the 50 f/1.4 to the Canon 85 f/1.8 build quality...might get the 85 f/1.8, don't have one, and use the change to get a backup 50 1.4...just in case...

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:33 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.