Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

BillyHurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

WOW!! What an amazing experience that had to have been. I am sure you didn't get much sleep in the last 3 weeks either. Welcome back and you did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Billy-

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:00 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

John... I had been following the posts on FB and looking forward to your daily frames. I'm sure this was an amazing experience for you and I know besides the obvious hardships of travelling with large gear, that it wasn't easy leaving the family, especially when your first born is off to college. I know that you left her with a proud gleam in her eye that will definitely carry her over the next four years in school.

Way to go bud!

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:08 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

P Alesse wrote:
...it wasn't easy leaving the family, especially when your first born is off to college. I know that you left her with a proud gleam in her eye that will definitely carry her over the next four years in school.

Way to go bud!

Thanks Paul...Oh yeah, that too. In our line of business, and I'm sure most of us on this board can attest to, we work odd hours and days and at times have to miss important family functions. I've missed my daughter's prom 2 years in a row, a few summer trips to Texas and last week she left for college with my wife 2000 miles away while I was in London. Thank goodness my family is understanding and supportive. The upside is I'm meeting up with them this weekend to enjoy some much needed family time!

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:34 PM
bergenor
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Fantastic shots!!!
Just a small question,if you dont mind answering.........how many shots did you take?
Thanks for sharing!!!

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:56 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

bergenor wrote:
Fantastic shots!!!
Just a small question,if you dont mind answering.........how many shots did you take?
Thanks for sharing!!!

Close to 10k shots across 4 bodies and edited down to 3k

Aug 13, 2012 at 08:02 PM
L_40

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

A repost, but nevertheless: Wow!

Aug 14, 2012 at 05:41 AM
amlsml
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

I will buy corn flakes based on your work, this is off the charts.. incredible.

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:03 AM
RKnecht
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Simply amazing series. Really enjoyed looking at these.

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:44 AM
lhryshko
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Brilliant series John! I'm probably wrong, but I just can't get my head around the possibility that shooting the best athletes in the world at the most exciting venue on the planet is actually hard work. I'm guessing that your smiles and excitement were as huge as those of your subjects. To me at least, your hard work preceded this event, just like that of the athletes.

Am I way off the mark here?

Either way, the captures are amazing and tell a great story. Congratulations on your great and well deserved success! The story-telling in these photos is superb!

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Don't know much about you, or your credentials so on so forth, but those are some great images and it is truly awesome to be able to view your images and words after covering a huge event like the olympics.

Awesome awesome awesome!

Hope you got some coin for the cereal box!

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:30 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

>I think I used every piece of gear I brought: 3 D4s, 1 D800, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 200/2, 200-400, 400, 600. <

I hate flying with a similar amount of gear up to the 70-200 plus my 400mm, adding all those other long lenses has to be a feat!

Great shots, I love seeing the behind the scenes stuff....

Aug 16, 2012 at 04:36 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Beautiful shots - (shitty cereal notwithstanding )

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:59 AM
Dan N
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

John,

I very rarely post on here anymore, but I had to tell you that your work is ABSOLUTLEY OUTSTANDING!! I watched alot of the Olympics this year, (and did catch a glimpse of you from time to time), and you captured the essence and emotion of the Games like I haven't seen in a while! CONGRATULATIONS on work well done and an assignment well deserved!

I actually got chills while looking at some of them! I will be buying a box of Corn Flakes just to show off that, "I know the guy who shot this!!"

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM
chip_master
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Awesome pictures, you got to find time to shoot the Rhythmic girls sometime!

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

amlsml wrote:
I will buy corn flakes based on your work, this is off the charts.. incredible.

yeah i'll have to snag a box of flakes too

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:30 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

There is also a big spread with many of these shots in, I think, US Weekly ( or something like that at least, I think that is what his shot of the spread called the mag), I will have to check out the issue.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:35 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Thanks again all.

Larry, you're right. Shooting these world class athletes on the world's biggest stage isn't really hard work. I've caught myself thinking "am I really getting paid to be here?" several times. But really it's just another meet. Every gymnast deserves the same amount of attention from me whether I'm covering level 4s at a local meet or the Olympics.

Dan, great to hear from you! Where have you been hiding? Aren't you shooting with Paul?

As Skibum pointed out, there is a spread in Us Weekly on the stands now with my pics. In case your wondering, all my shots will go into the archive for USA Gymnastics and they use them on their bi-monthly magazines, FB, Web, Kellogg's Tour program..etc. Being the staff photographer at USAG has it's perks, but none bigger than retaining the rights to your images. It's an Olympic year so I've sold a lot of images to sponsors in addition to Kelloggs and US Weekly. I am grateful for that!

And Chip_Master, I did shoot Rhythmics and also trampoline. I actually post all my shots through out the last 3 weeks on our FB page:

www.facebook.com/teamphoto

And my entire searchable archive:

www.john-cheng.com

Have a look and hope you enjoy them!

-John

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Bryan Crowe
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Amazing work ! I'll echo Russ in saying I applaud the dedication and effort it takes to cover an Olympic Games.

Bravo !

BC

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
WarrenL
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Gymnastics: Some of my favorite Olympic Moments

Fantastic!!! Many great memories. As has been mentioned, a lot of hard work getting those images, as I cover 20 gym meets a year, I can images what it takes to get those special moments.

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.