Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              12      
       14              43       44       end

Sony RX100 Picture Thread

millsart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.13 #1 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

Always could stitch the RX100 to 100meg equiv. Actually is a near perfect size for the entry level Gigapan and the resulting files do turn out quite nice.

Sadly its still a 3lb unit so sort of a pain to carry and my 4x5 Toyo would be lighter but I digress....

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM
barisaxer
• • •
p.13 #2 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

I love the size and quality is better than anything I have had this portable.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:03 AM
Dergiman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.13 #3 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

From a recent excursion:

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:23 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.13 #4 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

Finally found a macro test subject today (unprocessed jpeg out of camera)

� ratsnest74 2012

DSC-RX100    10mm    f/3.5    1/250s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 20, 2012 at 07:54 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.13 #5 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

ratsnest74 wrote:
Finally found a macro test subject today (unprocessed jpeg out of camera)

Sweet.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:50 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.13 #6 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

Got mine today and getting familiar with it. So far, absolutely no regrets. I was surprised at how small it is and how relatively clean the images were at up to ISO 1600. RAW post processing in Lightroom seems great as well. Hope to post some photos here soon.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Mr compact

p.13 #7 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

A couple from the the last few weeks. Great piece of kit.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM
jv11

p.13 #8 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

bigkidneys wrote:
That's exactly what it was. Noticed it too whenI had my K5 and pretty sure I forgot to turn the SR off on it as well. Did a few long exposures this evening and the results were much sharper. Will try my hand at some this week and post.

Did you ever get a chance to post some long exposures? Very interested on how this small camera performs.

Thanks

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:53 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.13 #9 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

jv11 wrote:
Did you ever get a chance to post some long exposures? Very interested on how this small camera performs.

Thanks

I tried a few yesterday during mid day with a 10 stop but realized again I left the damn steady shot on so there was blur and was only able to get about 6 seconds before everything was blown out. Tried later at 30 seconds and the exposures were just too dark. Will try a few later this evening and post afterwards. In the mean time, I have seen quite a few on flickr by someone named thierry who lives in belgium and they look great (at least at that native size). So I know it can be done, it's just a matter of pulling my head out my a$$ when I am setting things up before doing it! With the X100 or Xpro1 it was so much easier as neither has IS or other features you needed to disable prior to trying them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 04:56 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.13 #10 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

here are some samples pulled from flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twitchphoto/7755867762/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex-photobox/8011217777/

may have been mistaken on that member's name as I didn't see any long exposures under his sets. There are plenty out there though.

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jv11

p.13 #11 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

Thanks big. I was looking at how it handled exposures in the 1 to 5 minute range. The rx100 looks like an amazing camera but probably not suited for LE work as it needs a filter attachment and something to hold the button down. Not sure why they put a bulb mode on it with no ability for a remote. The xpro 1 is amazing for le work. I may look at the xe1, but feel it is just too much camera for my needs. The problem is the compacts do not handle long exposures well.

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.13 #12 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

RX100 works pretty well for long exposures, but I'd suggest a OM-D with its very cool real time preview mode (you can watch the image sort of "develop" before your eyes) if you do a ton of LE work, just makes things much easier to judge exposures.

RX100 (with a little home made button pusher) works pretty well using my ND110 10 stop filter though. Just as its not the best camera around for high ISO, its not the best at longer exposure times either, but it stays pretty clean at base ISO (125)

Its not something I'd set out to buy for LE work, but its nice to have a true compact that can give you some LE type shots.

Its not its biggest strength, far from it, but if your wanting to take just a small yet decent camera with you on a vacation or business trip etc, and may just want to grab a few LE shots on occasion, it should serve you well.

Thats what I like about the camera, its small enough to take with me, simple enough for family members to use (typical controls, face detect AF etc) and when I want something more than just a typical P&S or iPhone type image, I can bring a couple of filters, a little tripod etc and make some real photographs that also look quite nice.
Sure beats dragging the whole DSLR rig with my when on vacation just to use a handful of times for some LE type shots. Not "as good" but I'm sure we've all dragged some big/heavy camera gear with us on family vacations etc only to hardly touch it and worry about it in the hotel room etc rest of the trip.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:18 PM
jv11

p.13 #13 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

millsart wrote:
RX100 works pretty well for long exposures, but I'd suggest a OM-D with its very cool real time preview mode (you can watch the image sort of "develop" before your eyes) if you do a ton of LE work, just makes things much easier to judge exposures.

RX100 (with a little home made button pusher) works pretty well using my ND110 10 stop filter though. Just as its not the best camera around for high ISO, its not the best at longer exposure times either, but it stays pretty clean at base ISO (125)

Its not something I'd set out to buy
...Show more

That is a cool feature but I found that using it on an exposure over 30 seconds requires you to have long exposure noise reduction to on as the files look bad. I don't mind noise in files, but they were smeared with chroma noise. Thanks for your input on the rx100.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:05 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.13 #14 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

I ordered one of these at exactly the wrong time. So the one thing I wanted to test was af and having no real knowledge of the camera I asked a neighbor if I could take a few test shots.

I like it, but it definitely needs a grip. The af seems to miss indoors for me, but I quite likely need to change some stuff.

It's definitely capable of better quality than the lx line right now, however, it's very very expensive relatively speaking.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:52 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.13 #15 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

h00ligan wrote:
I ordered one of these at exactly the wrong time. So the one thing I wanted to test was af and having no real knowledge of the camera I asked a neighbor if I could take a few test shots.

I like it, but it definitely needs a grip. The af seems to miss indoors for me, but I quite likely need to change some stuff.

It's definitely capable of better quality than the lx line right now, however, it's very very expensive relatively speaking.

The Franiec grip works great for it but it's still a bit small for my hand.

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:55 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.13 #16 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

Id suggest just one of the leather body kits over the Franiec grip. Its not a bad product at all, but I tried it and found it still felt a bit small and uncomfortable. I found that for me at least, I get a more ergonomic grip just using my thumb and the side of my index finger. Richard's grip is designed for to use with your fingertips wrapped around it and I just didn't find it worked for me and didn't have enough space between the grip and the lens barrel. Bare camera felt much better, problem of course is the camera is pretty smooth stock. Adding the leatherette gave it the added grip I needed while keeping the stock ergonomics.

Plus it looks cool with the leatherette on the bottom half

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:17 AM
darrellc
• •
p.13 #17 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

I decided a grip or case was antithetical to my purpose in buying the RX100, yet the bare camera seemed slippery, so I covered mine with a bunch of gaffer's tape in strategic locations. This improved my grip "confidence" with the camera considerably, with the beneficial side effect of covering up all the various Sony logos and such, giving me much greater cred when I hit the streets for some hipster shooting.

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:40 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.13 #18 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

we had a houseguest who unfortunately doesn't have much time left. I thought his papa might like a candid so i used the little camera.// jpg too - it may have been in auto mode.. i'll have to check. Today was the first real use of the camera... i'm getting more comfortable.

flickr crunches sharpness... and it was sharpened for a small print initually... and saturation is too high on my screen for sure... but anyway - the full upload is here

I lost some latitude from shooting jpg, and i don't know the camera well... so overall i'm relatively happy with how this can be used if needed as a snapshot cam with minimum manual settings.. shutter and aperture priority with DRO toggled - I Had better results as the day progressed but worse pictures....you know. throwaways that were techncially better

Edited on Nov 24, 2012 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:22 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.13 #19 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

darrellc wrote:
I decided a grip or case was antithetical to my purpose in buying the RX100, yet the bare camera seemed slippery, so I covered mine with a bunch of gaffer's tape in strategic locations.

Other than the addition of the Franiac grip, this was what I ended up doing too. Also because it seems prone to edge wear, and the gaffers helps mitigate that.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:25 PM
ratsnest74
• •
p.13 #20 · Sony RX100 Picture Thread

Some shots tonight of Charlotte, NC

� ratsnest74 2012

shot after sunset of Charlotte, NC and processed RAW image in LR4

DSC-RX100    34mm    f/5.6    1/8s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

In Camera HDR jpeg processed in LR4

DSC-RX100    33mm    f/8.0    2s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

In Camera HDR jpeg processed with LR4 at local park an hour before sunset