Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

Crossczechfoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

Quick question for the OP?

Do you have any friends that might be able to borrow another flash to you? If you can then you just solved the other side strobing to help with shadows.

If you can put the second strobe into Slave mode you can trigger it using the optical sensors and that should help you light everyone evenly as possible.

Ross

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:24 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

Sorry but a single 580EX and a group of people in mid-day sun isn't really worth much. As others have stated.

The scrim is your best option, but even proper mounting hardware for something like that can be expensive. If you really want to do it on the cheap, get two painters poles, two friends and a large sheet of anything, styrofoam, bed sheets something large enough for the whole group and get it high above their heads to block out the sun.

I'd use the California Sunbounce Pro in my case, but a poor mans CS Pro, could be accomplished with a white bed sheet and two painters poles.

My .02.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

I'm with the KISS crowd on this one... Sun to their backs, flash on the camera, dial in minus a stop or 3/4 FEC and shoot away. If they're always going to be in the same place (and you are too) set your flash manually for fill so they're all consistent. Makes editing them a breeze. If you underexpose the fill a touch, it's pretty easy to lift the shadows to very natural look in post if need be.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

Using an umbrella would be futile for 10 people. Aim the light at them, Blow out the background, but make sure they don't have racoon eyes.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

Scott Clark wrote:
I'm with the KISS crowd on this one... Sun to their backs, flash on the camera, dial in minus a stop or 3/4 FEC and shoot away. If they're always going to be in the same place (and you are too) set your flash manually for fill so they're all consistent. Makes editing them a breeze. If you underexpose the fill a touch, it's pretty easy to lift the shadows to very natural look in post if need be.

Bingo.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM
aztwang1
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How would you shoot groups in noon day sunlight?

Scott Clark wrote:

Im with you Scott. Sun @ their backs, shoot waist up, though I woud use a bed sheet with a couple assistants if you have them, should reflect enough light to get her done. You could also try having assistants hold the sheet/big white reflector source behind you, get as close as you can and use a wide angle lens with-out distorting faces and and bounce flash back towards your subjects. Remember inverse square law, double your distance from your subject and your light is now 1/4 of what it was .
Good luck!

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:01 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.