Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic p...

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Killer,

I just sold off my 1DIII and my 1DsII to finance a used 1DIV. Reason: I'm getting paid (not all that well, I admit to shoot and write sports for the local paper. I was (and to some extent still am) worried about losing the 1DsII full frame. Just got back from a 3 week "run away from home" with the 1DIV as my only camera shooting all over AZ, NM, CO, and UT. My most used lens was the 24mm f/3.5L II TSE, followed by the 70-200 f/2.8 IS, the 16-35 f/2.8 (first version), and the 400mm f/5.6. I have several K of pix to work thru, but I'm really impressed with how well the 1DIV has done as a "landscape" camera.

All the knocks on the camera are true - it doesn't go as wide as a FF will, it is heavy, it doesn't provide maximum pixels to work with. The argument that the APS-H crop "limits" the effective width of a wide lens is of course true, but that is true of every lens. No matter how wide you go there is horizon beyond your reach. As for heavy, Dan has made it clear that "for him" the pro bodies are too much to carry. I understand that, but in my experience it isn't the body that is the problem. The weight is in the lenses I carry. I strap my cam with a lens to a CottonCarrier and never really am bothered by the body's weight as it is held close to the chest. It's the shoulder strap bag of 3 more lenses and and tripod that makes me crazy. Haven't found a good solution.

I have found the 24 TSE to be incredible. Sure it might be a bit better on a FF camera, but its movement functions coupled with AEB creates images I only dreamed of before. If you like pro bodies, want the 10 FPS then the only choice is the 1DIV or perhaps you can auction off a kidney on Fleabay and finance a 1Dx Believe me, you won't really notice the narrower field of view except in extreme situations.

Having said all that, I'm trying to find the cash to finance a 1DsIII cause I really do like the larger format for PP work.

Robert

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:25 PM
Killergoalie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Thanks for the very helpful information, Robert. Greatly appreciated.

As far as the weight goes, I actually prefer a "heavier" camera, as to me it's much easier to balance, and hold steady when hand holding. (I have a nerve problem in my hands that causes camera shake, so the lighter the camera, the more I shake.) It also balances better IMHO when using heavier lenses...esp hand holding. i.e. 70-200 f/2.8L or 300mm f/2.8L I.S.

I also eat my Wheaties so the weight is a non issue.

For wide angle I would consider the 16-35mm f/2.8 version I or II, the 17mm f/4L TS-E, or even the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 and do the very simple modification.

One reason why I'm leaning toward the 16-35mm f/2.8 is because I want to shoot the Aurora Borealis one day soon, and want to use as low an ISO as possible, and the f/2.8 will allow me to do that. Plus the zoom is a nice feature to have.

One question, which CF card(s) do you use?

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Jason

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:55 PM
JEFFERY Z71
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Killer, thank you for starting this thread. A big thank you for all who recommended options. I think I will go with the 16-35. I already own a 10-22 for a 50d, but do not want to make the modification at this time. I might look into a Sigma or something in 11-16 if I wish to go wider.

Aug 14, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

No problem Jeffery.

I think the 16-35 would be an excellent choice from what I've seen posted here.

One thing to think about with the Sigma 12-24 is that you can't use filters with it, so if you want to use a Graduated ND filter, or a circular polarizer, you're out of luck. (Unless a Cokin Z holder or Lee holder can be adapted to fit/work with it.

That's one reason why I myself would consider the 10-22 if I wanted/needed to go extra wide. You can still use filters with that lens. Plus it's not as if the "modification" is permanent. Just a thought.

Aug 14, 2012 at 04:20 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password