Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any o...

danvprod
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

It strikes that there is a lot of used D800 bodies on the market for a pretty reasonable price ($2750) when it is still hard to get them new at full price. Curious to me. I wonder why that is...

I can't think of another product launch for Nikon where this phenomenon has occurred.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:51 PM
danvprod
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I'm asking b/c I'm in the market for a d800, and thinking of dropping one of my d3 bodies.

Aug 05, 2012 at 10:52 PM
caad4rep
• •
p.1 #3 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I think a lot of people got caught up in the hype and had to get one. After getting it they realized that their D700, D7000, D3, etc... actually worked pretty good and weren't obsolete.

Th D800 is no doubt a great camera. I own one and it's fantastic. It does have downsides and not everyone needs it's benefits. I strongly believe that the casual shooter is better off with a D700 or even a D300. For those that know how to utilize the D800's strengths, it's the greatest camera ever.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:02 PM
WThiry
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I am/was thinking the same thing on selling my D3. But the used market on D3 bodies has fallen thru the bottom. Its too good of a camera to give up for less than $2000.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:28 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #5 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

danvprod wrote:
It strikes that there is a lot of used D800 bodies on the market for a pretty reasonable price ($2750) when it is still hard to get them new at full price. Curious to me. I wonder why that is...

I can't think of another product launch for Nikon where this phenomenon has occurred.

could be that some got over there heads and the files are just to big to mess with and they don't want to upgrade there PC's or could be that some are pissed that they can't get one without AF problems and or can't get them fixed right so they sell them.

just a wild guess.

I would have loved a D700s with a D3s sensor, dual card slots and good 1080p 30p video.

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:31 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

There's no doubt a lot of OE (operator error) People ploppin' down $3K for the latest and greatest...
coming to realize their pics aren't any better and it's now up for grabs. Took me 2 weeks and a couple
of thousand shots to conquer the D7K (I've been selling settings for a beer via PP, for over a year now)
The D800 will be no different, I'm making it do my bidding...just a few hundred frames into the process.
Pretty cool, bein' able to crop like a 'monkey...with little penalty. ISO 6400 is cleaner than my D3/D700.
It's a great new tool, that's not right for everyone. Folks will sell, many eager to buy n' try. Gotta love it!

Aug 05, 2012 at 11:41 PM
danvprod
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

For sure @trenchmonkey -- I agree with you. 3k is an interesting price point for hobbyists. About the limit for "if I spend this much, I'll be better" -- not always the case! Less taking that chance with the d4

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:07 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #8 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

Maybe they were disappointed that the D800 didn't magically transform them into great photographers.

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I think that point of D800 is that it simply isnt camera for everyone. Most average shooters wet themselves when they think about 36 mpix, but when it comes to real deal, they have no clue how to use them to full potential.

And theres a really amazing potential in D800/e.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:04 AM
Birdbrooks

p.1 #10 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

trenchmonkey wrote:
There's no doubt a lot of OE (operator error) People ploppin' down $3K for the latest and greatest...
coming to realize their pics aren't any better and it's now up for grabs. Took me 2 weeks and a couple
of thousand shots to conquer the D7K (I've been selling settings for a beer via PP, for over a year now)
The D800 will be no different, I'm making it do my bidding...just a few hundred frames into the process.
Pretty cool, bein' able to crop like a 'monkey...with little penalty. ISO 6400 is cleaner than my D3/D700.
It's a great new tool, that's not
...Show more

I knew you'd get one sooner or later, a D800/ or E that is, Trenchman! Can hardly wait to see your images with it! Cheers-

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

Mescalamba wrote:
I think that point of D800 is that it simply isnt camera for everyone. Most average shooters wet themselves when they think about 36 mpix, but when it comes to real deal, they have no clue how to use them to full potential.

+1

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:06 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #12 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

Birdbrooks wrote:
I knew you'd get one sooner or later, a D800/ or E that is, Trenchman! Can hardly wait to see your images with it! Cheers-

Be very interested to see which model he bought !

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:07 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I had the occasion to use a D800 for a week when it passed through my hands on its way to a friend overseas... long story... I'd pre-ordered the camera but then canceled the order since I was going to be out of the country at the supposed release date... That didn't happen...

I'm a hobbyist. I was delighted when they priced the camera at 3k but was not particularly excited about 36 megapixels. When I shot with it i was impressed with the dynamic range but the file size still made no sense for me. Furthermore the changes to the grip made the camera awkward to hold for an extended period of time. When it was time to pass it along I was grateful I'd been given the opportunity to take it for a spin without a cost on my part. It was clear that if a D800 ever comes my way it will be because my D700 has worn out. It remains about a perfect camera for how I shoot. The D800 will certainly suit many folks, but what it offers has limited usefulness for me.

With regard to availability, I've no doubt there are folks who are disappointed with camera... perhaps because of the focusing problems, perhaps because the files are too large for how they shoot, perhaps because they realize it is more camera than they need. Whatever, if buying a used camera and saving a couple hundred bucks floats your boat, have at it. Were I buying at this point I'd likely opt for a new camera. Two hundred fifty dollar savings isn't worth foregoing the one year warranty...

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:15 AM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

lukeb wrote:
Be very interested to see which model he bought !

Check his profile....... D800.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:19 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

Thanks, Don....my 1st 100% crop SOOC Rodeo on Tue, thread to follow

NIKON D800    300mm    f/5.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:24 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

honorerdieu wrote:
Maybe they were disappointed that the D800 didn't magically transform them into great photographers.

+1. In my own 25 years of experience, I've found the camera has made the least difference in my own shots.

Kent in SD

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:49 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

honorerdieu wrote:

Amen..

this is with a 2002 1Ds and my $130 Tokina 17mm in Nikon mount (used with a fotodiox Nikon >EOS adapter).. Maybe with a D800 it would have unicorns

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:11 AM
patriot
• •
p.1 #18 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

Mescalamba wrote:

It's not a 5D MkII, but for many who bought into that body, it was all about MP's. So I think more than a few Canon folks jumped the to D800 for the same reason ... 36 has got to be better than 24.

Same thing on the Nikon side, those who bought D300's and D700's, had some Nikon glass, but complained bitterly that Nikon was somehow losing to Canon because the 5D was sooo much better because it had 24 MP's. Those people never seem seemed to grasp that the D700 was not Nikon's answer to the 5D, and somehow Nikon goofed up by using a 12 MP sensor. Same for Canon and the 5D: Canon never intended it to compete with the D700.

The D800 is not the replacement to the D700. It is more Nikon's response to the 5D, but on steroids. And the 36 MP sensor is far more than just more MP's, but it takes more work to really see it in an image.

Putting aside the AF issue, there had been more than a few posts early on from some D800 converts lamenting that they see no difference from their 5D's and D700 ... or their images were not as good. Those posts seem fewer now, suggesting those people have learned to use their D800's, or selling them.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:49 AM
pubtime
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I know, there are a TON of D800's on the market, I was one of them and sold it because, well...it seemed soft all the time, I wasn't getting what I normally did out of my Nikon glass. Well the bug bit and I just bought two. I had D3s camera with the D800 but sold those and went all D7K and I LOVE those cameras but I need FX so I went ahead and got twin D800's on the way.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #20 · Seems like a lot of used D800s for sale...more than any other product nikon has released

I think the nature of the consumer electronics market is partly responsible. Today, more consumers are more eager to spend more money on more electronic, digital gadgets than ever.

Anything with lots of buttons and a display invokes a type of fixation similar to an infant transfixed by a jangling keychain. Thereís also a tendency to believe that computerized devices set the limits of what we can accomplish, since we have forced ourselves to rely on them so heavily in our daily lives.

Lenses, on the other hand donít have the same gadget appeal, so many people seem to be taking one step forward with the D800, but two steps back using lenses that donít exploit its capabilities. Then theyíre left with snapshots that donít look much nicer than the ones they get from the smartphone they waited hours in line at the Apple store to buy.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password