Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

pjhad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Who doesn't like to hear about the MDP every now and then? I have had mine for several years now and there are a few quirks with the lens and I am looking for similar experiences from others.

Quirk One: Parts of the barrel seem loose, in that there seems to be some free play between the sections, both in a twisting motion and pulling.

Quirk Two: Every now and then, it will seem that I have focused on something, a flower for example, there is not a focus confirmation from the camera and a picture can not be taken. I am not too close, it would seem to be contrasty enough and it looks in focus, but no response. If I stop and focus on something else, all is great. But back to the flower, nothing. One shot AF used, Aperture Priority, if that helps.

I have had this experience on a 1n, T1i and now my 7d.

Also is does go frantic trying to get focus sometimes, but I have heard that is common.

Thanks for the help. Me Gusta the lens a lot, but also at time wish for a little faster/better AF, but really, how many zooms should one person have?

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Oh goody an MDP thread .

Love mine to bits.

Point 1 . No mines tight as a tight thing. No play in the barrel at all.

Point 2. How close to the MFD are you when this happens. Mine only behaves like that when I'm just on the MFD . Other than that it focuses and shoots without hesitation .

If either of the above are symptoms of the pipe about to die on you then I'm really sorry to hear that. The only replacement for a pipe is the 2.8 mk2 . Which is a big investment over a pipe.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Amigo, the anomalies you mention are not common, at least not in my experience.
The Pipe was very well designed, engineered and built, with a specific objective of satisfying the demands of professional photographers at the time. However, many copies of the lens available today have been used a lot, and some require service where possible.

Aug 05, 2012 at 04:56 PM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

love mine too!

point 1 - no play here either. It rattles a bit, and I stupidly snapped the focus switch off a couple of years back, but someone local stuck a new one on - it looks a bit different but works fine. Phew.
point 2 - not sure how this could happen. Is it set on the 'closer' focus setting on the barrel?

the rubber of the focus and zoom rings on mine have got a bit 'baggy' too, so it looks a bit odd but works just fine

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

fixedgearmike wrote:
love mine too!

point 2 - not sure how this could happen. Is it set on the 'closer' focus setting on the barrel?

Good point. It's only been a few days since I used my pipe and already I forgot about the limiter switch

The lens good be set to long distance or its set to min of 1.8 m then maybe the limiter switch has not engaged properly.
I tend to leave mine set to 1.8m as much as possible . That way if I get it out of the bag and the switch has either broken or just don't work any more it should still have full use.
Not sure what I would do if mine got stuck in 6.5m min or MF . It would be a very sad day

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:02 PM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Not sure what I would do if mine got stuck in 6.5m min or MF . It would be a very sad day

mine was fixed via campkins in cambridge. I dont like them, they seem unbelievably snobbish, but they do know people who can do stuff.. they sent it off and it came back with a new switch fitted. (they fixed my 17-40 when I dropped it on a rock too )

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Well Mike I'm hoping I never have to go that route

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:52 PM
pjhad

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Thank you all for the input. I have had the lens for almost 10 years, and it was my first big lens purchase. I think I forked over $500 then.

I do want to keep this lens and hopefully bring it back to all its glory. Mind you, it still is fully functional and delivers majority of the time. Good thing my old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools, I can fix this.

Just teasing, I will send her off to the professionals.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:16 AM
Ross Becker

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

I bought my MDP on ebay from Japan about 2 years ago. When it arrived it looked as though it had never been used. And everything is tight & smooth. Use it all the time on a 1D4. The second 1D4 has a base-modified EF-S 10-22 & they both mount on a Black Rapid double strap.

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:59 AM
3catsinky
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

i grabbed one a couple weeks ago, love it!! mine fits extremely tight on my bodies though. it is sharper wide open than my 70-200 is mk i.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Ross Becker wrote:
The second 1D4 has a base-modified EF-S 10-22 & they both mount on a Black Rapid double strap.

Hey it's great to see someone who actually does a little bit of EFs modding.
There are those around here that would have you burnt at the stake for what they see as such heresy

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:46 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

I miss my pipe.
Points to Ian.Dobinson for the phrase "...mines tight as a tight thing."

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Altmanator
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

My pipe was also loose between sections and it's seen plenty of use. I sent it off to Midstate Camera and they went in and replaced some screws I believe, but it came back nice and tight.

I should clarify, the sections with the play were near the lens mount of the lens, not the top section closest to the front element. I was told there isn't much they can do to tighten the section near the front element but the lower sections can be tightened.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:12 PM
pjhad

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Altmanator, Midstate Camera are the folks that I am looking at to see what they can do, thanks for the confirmation that there is a fix.

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:34 PM
shervin2

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Got mine recently. Very impressed with the overall color saturation and look. It's almost a dead ringer match for my Contax Zeiss lenses with it's 3D look and micro-contrast.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

onegreatcity wrote:
I miss my pipe.
Points to Ian.Dobinson for the phrase "...mines tight as a tight thing."

Mine was tight like a tiger.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Mine was tight like the skin on a sausage, or like the bark on a tree.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Leslie168
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

where can I buy one!?

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Mine was tight like a cork in a fine bottle of Gigondas wine.

But I sold my MDP some time ago. Silly me.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 80-200, MDP questions

Leslie168 wrote:
where can I buy one!?

eBay and KEH currently have some...

See the Lens Price Database, Lens$db, http://tinyurl.com/jcolwell-lensdb

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell